Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callan's Kicks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,926 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

One of his best yet.

He has done a good job on O'Broin and the Shinners. His Louise O'Reilly is hilarious

I never really got the "cuddly Paschal" sketch, although that bit with Paschal humming the theme-tune during a Morning Ireland interview sent me over the edge.

The Boyd-Barrett impersonation is bang-on but the jokes don't quite land.

His Mary Wilson is great.

Even the Liberal Ladies were funny enough.

Perhaps his best episode this season?

Thought it was particularly good as well. He is going from strength to strength.
    I wonder has he new people working with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

I think the Paul Reid / Stephen Donnelly ones are my favourite these days.
    Sometimes I think that the script is so good that's its actually for real!

Thought it was particularly good as well. He is going from strength to strength.
    I wonder has he new people working with him?

Could be that. I think the programme has always gone through peaks and troughs — maybe it's the same with any series on radio or television. Good satire is very hard

A tangent now: I'm surprised Callan hasn't appeared on the top-10 RTE fee earners. Perhaps that's because his programme is legitimately a private production. He deserves to be better paid than a lot of the RTE contractors; good satire is indispensable in a thriving democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

The Penneys sketch last week was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭archfi

It's really good this series.
    The Garda cyber thing was bloody brilliant.
    I don't care if people think him doing Francis Brennan is naff, I think it's hilarious tbh
    HSE Reid is excellent (In a national emergency we're here every day, well Mon-Fri between 9 and half one) <paraphrasing>
    The swipe at VirginTv news headlining unconfirmed bullshíte was bang on - people give out about RTE news for being slow off the mark but I think that's called confirming a story ;-)
    Of course his Varadkar and Donohoe pieces are masterful, Martin's getting there, the SF jibes are excellent.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just listened back there and it was very good. The line about Mary Lou doing her pouted lips and scruchy face had me in stitches, it was bang on

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

In fairness with all going on the material is there for the taking. The hse sketch was brilliant. I enjoy the show. It’s a bit of light relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Could be that. I think the programme has always gone through peaks and troughs — maybe it's the same with any series on radio or television. Good satire is very hard

A tangent now: I'm surprised Callan hasn't appeared on the top-10 RTE fee earners. Perhaps that's because his programme is legitimately a private production. He deserves to be better paid than a lot of the RTE contractors; good satire is indispensable in a thriving democracy.

30 minutes a week and he should be in the top earner bracket???

Have you dhrink taken?

30 minutes a week and he should be in the top earner bracket???

Have you dhrink taken?

Ah now, you wouldn't say that 30 minutes of Fair City represents 30 minutes of work?

Well maybe that's a bad example. But Callan seems to write his own scripts, perhaps with some help, and voices the vast majority of characters. His programme probably involves considerably more hours of effort than the likes of Ryan Tubridy or Joe Duffy

It's currently the second-most popular programme on the Radio Player after Morning Ireland.

Perhaps RTE fees are unjustifiable, but Callan deserves to be paid on a par with the best of them, IMO.

Ah now, you wouldn't say that 30 minutes of Fair City represents 30 minutes of work?

Well maybe that's a bad example. But Callan seems to write his own scripts, perhaps with some help, and voices the vast majority of characters. His programme probably involves considerably more hours of effort than the likes of Ryan Tubridy or Joe Duffy

It's currently the second-most popular programme on the Radio Player after Morning Ireland.

Perhaps RTE fees are unjustifiable, but Callan deserves to be paid on a par with the best of them, IMO.

Somebody on a 'radio' forum showing their knowledge and claiming that the 30 minutes we hear represents the input.

:):) Good man Brendi.

• Advertisement

I wish RTE would give him his tv series back, there is literally no political satire on Irish tv anymore

Somebody on a 'radio' forum showing their knowledge and claiming that the 30 minutes we hear represents the input.

:):) Good man Brendi.

Never said that Francie.

30minutes radio deserves north of 300 k.?

I think even you would baulk at that .

Never said that Francie.

I don't think anyone is quantifying it. But just in terms of the work, the work should probably be compensated equivalent to the top earners, whether that be €100k or 5x that.

Never said that Francie.

I think even you would baulk at that .

RTE would be paying for all his work Brendi, not just what you listen to. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I have often wondered how much work a presenter puts into his programme,
    For example, if R Collins has a show 12-1pm when would he arrive to get ready and so on.
    Same with D'Arcy and Duffy.
    What time would Shay Byrne arrive before 5: 30?
    We never hear about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I'd imagine Callan puts in a full weeks work (40 hours) to come up with that 30 minutes of output....maybe even more on a slow news week.

Its the only show on Radio that I actually schedule time to listen to.

I would rate him far above most of the overpaid "talent" on RTE.

Id doubt it would take 40 hours to put that together, probably more like two days work with the bulk of it spent writing the script on the first day, then rehearsals on the second day and then into the studio to record it before it goes for editing by someone else. He'd spend time outside of that coming up with ideas and consuming a lot of media to know what politicians have said and done that week but I think its unlikely it is a 40 hour a week gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Id doubt it would take 40 hours to put that together, probably more like two days work with the bulk of it spent writing the script on the first day, then rehearsals on the second day and then into the studio to record it before it goes for editing by someone else. He'd spend time outside of that coming up with ideas and consuming a lot of media to know what politicians have said and done that week but I think its unlikely it is a 40 hour a week gig.

Thanks for that time and motion study of the creative process. You can put away the clipboard now.
    I see Barbara Pym was in quickly to post thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Callan was gang-busters the last couple of weeks!
    And he still manages to communicate some serious detail of the housing balls-up that I miss in current affairs coverage.

Callan was gang-busters the last couple of weeks!
    And he still manages to communicate some serious detail of the housing balls-up that I miss in current affairs coverage.

And shill for the Shinners too.

Great guy, so he is :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

He makes repeated insinuations that their leader is a superficial person lacking any depth of political knowledge, and that the entire party is controlled by a band of criminals.

Bad times for the blueshirts, if they're envious of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

his claire byrne sketches arent far off the mark of stupidity. Heard a soundbite on todayfm a while back of marios "Marty Morrisey" and Callans is miles better and funnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Butson

Love the "Liberal Ladies" segment.
    Painfully accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

He regular “kicks” SF....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

He regular “kicks” SF....

Your man Bendar has a bee in his bonnet that Callan is a shill for SF. Trots it out at every opportunity and I mean EVERY. (If true to form he will now reply with some 'pithy' comment rebutting this :rolleyes:).

To my ears he gives them all an equal kicking although there is definitely some underlying additional subtext with Varadkar. I know that they move in the same circles, so to speak, and I'm sure he picks up gossip that he then weaves into the narrative.

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Your man Bendar has a bee in his bonnet that Callan is a shill for SF. Trots it out at every opportunity and I mean EVERY. (If true to form he will now reply with some 'pithy' comment rebutting this :rolleyes:).

To my ears he gives them all an equal kicking although there is definitely some underlying additional subtext with Varadkar. I know that they move in the same circles, so to speak, and I'm sure he picks up gossip that he then weaves into the narrative.

Incorrect, my friend.

Your ears deceive you, a chara….. they really do.

Listen carefully next time round and you may notice that the the Shinners ‘kicking’ is far less vicious than the others get, it’s harmless banter type of stuff
    rather than a good kicking.

As an aside his Louise O’ Reilly is miles off the mark ….miles.

What you want is a deeper monotone…a drone with a Doob accent like a road grader that just ploughs thru everything taking everything in its path…..kind of Jack o Connor accent, totally unlinked the squeaky delivery Callan seems to think is good.

Ps…….. try reading Callans Twitter feed now and again………:D

Balingo bongo…….a chara.

Middle stump there dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

My opinion - he has a good cut off SF whenever he can

He portrays ML McD as a vain, brainless, lazy incompetent leader only interested in the shallow PR type stuff

He portrays adams as ghoulish and nasty - no redeeming features

He regularly alludes to the “real leadership” of SF

He takes the p1ss out of the likes of doherty, o brion and Louise Reilly at every opportunity

Brendie - can you elaborate on your “view” that he treats SF more favourably than the other parties?

My opinion - he has a good cut off SF whenever he can

He portrays ML McD as a vain, brainless, incompetent leader only interested in the shallow PR type stuff

He portrays adams as ghoulish and nasty

He regularly alludes to the “real leadership” of SF

He takes the p1ss out of the likes of doherty, o brion and Louise Reilly at every opportunity

Brendie - can you elaborate on your “view” that he treats SF more favourably than the other parties?

Anyone in RTE that is too hard (in Brendan's opinion) on the government, particularly FG TD's is a SF shill. Tired stuff at this stage and more for the political forums than here.

You are right about how he portrays SF and it is funny and in keeping with the usual role of a satirist who will always concentrate on those in power most.
    Brendi wants equal billing. :)

Lads …..a bit off topic….. but read his Twitter feed to get his ‘real view’..

I will listen carefully to a few editions and try to explain with a few examples.

Very busy at the moment……

• Advertisement

Very busy at the moment……
    Fibre, that's the thing.

Had quinoa in my lunch earlier. Don't recognise myself. Just a suggestion.

Advertisement