Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think it's a very different game to a standard FPS. It's designed around those controls. The enemy encounters are designed so you can strafe around them and use the dodge mechanics to get out of the way but still be locked on to their position. It's pretty much zelda's z-targetting.

Now change that to a traditional FPS control scheme and instead of really tightly designed encounters and bosses that are designed after traditional japanese scripted boss design you know have something that's more free form but also janky.

Name another FPS where the platforming and boss battles work as well as Metroid Prime. You can't because none of them use Prime's control scheme.

Basically adding a FPS control scheme is like adding traditional 3rd person controls to Resi 4 and letting you move and shoot or letting you move after jumping in Ghouls'n Ghosts. It would disrupt the entire flow of the game change it at a fundamental level that makes it a different game.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Honestly, couldn't agree with this more. Primes controls are perfection for the kind of game it is, and is very much orientated around those controls, designed to work in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Continuing the Metroid theme, I finished Zero Mission and have moved on to Fusion. It's quite different! Both it and Zero Mission seem to spoon feed you the main path, although more so for Fusion so far!

I also had a quick go of Metroid Prime. My original save of that it at 89% just before Ridley! Turns out I never finished Metroid Prime! So I guess that'll be played again. I did buy Trilogy digitally on my Wii U, but I prefer the original controls too.

I didn't finish the 3DS Metroid game either so I'll have to give that a bit of attention before I even think about buying Metroid Dread.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Playing some Psychic Killer Taromaru this evening. Forgot how insanely good it is! Basically Alisia Dragoon mixed with Shinobi mixed with Guwange and a massive price tag for entry.

Some absolutely beautiful sprite work, that big multi sprite spider in the first level is absolutely (horrifically) gorgeous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I must go back to that. Last time I played it was when I was back from japan trying to convince myself it was worth the price I paid!

As for what I'm playing. Well if you are following the emulation thread you will see I'm having trouble with getting Enemy Zero to work through emulation.

So I took a long shot and tried the PC version. Was pretty easy to find.

So a game from 1998, from a japanese company, using a quad renderer, made for a 32-bit operating system running on 64-bit windows 10. Wasn't looking good.

And.... it just works. No issues at all. Well I had to figure out if the game would accept me mounting virtual drives when alt tabbed.... and it does. Runs really well. It behaves really nicely with my 21:9 screen (which a lot of modern games don't). Really hoping I don't get any crashes later.

Anyway the PC version seems to be the definitive version. I looks way nicer in the 3D sections and the video seems to be high quality. They also added two new enemies which I've yet to meet.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

• Advertisement

Anyone else have experience with Sweet Home?

Been playing it for October and really loving it. It's a weird mix of JRPG and Resident Evil. It's really quite playable and fair for a NES JRPG. I've one issue in that it is easy enough to soft lock the game is you aren't paying attention to how the planks of wood you use to bridge gaps work but otherwise it's a really unique and brilliant game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Polished off We Love Katamari and Taiko Drum Master on the PS2 there this week. We Love Katamari is how you do a sequel when you've already milked the core concepts for all its worth, in that they give you new goals/limitations entirely in addition to the usual "get x by y." Taiko is kind of limited in its appeal when you're playing with the standard PS2 controller, feels a bit like cheating at times. It can still get tough when it really wants to, mind you.

Moved on to Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast after threatening for years. It's the right mix of addictive and tricky, though I feel as though I've broken it a bit by upgrading to some of the OR cars - they just let you bomb through the competition in the races.

Master of the Universe

Have been meaning to play that for years! really that good yeah? I think I'll put that on my to play list for October :)

Yep it's very unique but also a really well designed game. There's some bullshit adventure game stuff sneaking in now and again but nothing a walkthrough won't fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Inviere

Sat down to start A Link to the Past today, but on my 3DS XL. I just can't. Whatever it is about handheld gaming, I just don't enjoy it whatsoever. I got les than 15 mins into the game, and I felt I was just wasting the (re)experience. I enjoyed Link Between Worlds a few times on the XL, but only because there was no other way to play that game which was fair enough. If I enjoyed handheld games I'd prob have dropped money on the Analogue Pocket, but knowing me it'd sit there collecting dust and then be Cidey'd after a while.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

How are you with the Switch in handheld mode?

I only really ever play Nintendo handhelds, have loads of others but don't really play them beyond a casual 10-15 minutes.

Nintendo ones didn't fully click with me until the DS, mainly down to how badly the screens were lit.

Before I sold my Switch it was used primarily docked, and only rarely in handheld mode (which is why I won't bother with the new oled model, it'd just be wasted on me.)

I just never really connect with or feel engaged with games unless they're on a TV and I'm using a controller.

Master of the Universe

You sold your Switch? Madness! Such a fantastic system. I do play mine most of the time in docked mode these days tbh.

Although I've seen how good emulation is for it now so can totally understand if someone was just playing Nintendo games on a PC instead of on an actual console.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm playing a lot of Metroid Dread right now and loving it.

When I'm finished it I'll definitely play Samus Returns, as I barely scratched the surface, and I might even play Metroid Other M, which I didn't enjoy because it wasn't Metroid Prime 4!

Master of the Universe

I'm hearing great things. I have a reserved copy sitting in Argos waiting for me and just haven't had a chance to collect it yet!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Metroid Dread's really fun especially when it hits its stride with new navigation abilities. Some of it is a pain in the arse though. The EMMI encounters are actually probably the weakest thing, fairly random stealth sections with counter / parry windows so small they may as well be non-existent. Some of the bosses are magnificent and surprisingly challenging, but also there are one or two cheap tricks scattered throughout. There's one late boss who does a left swipe, a right swipe and a centre swipe you need to jump to avoid - but his arms are flailing around awkwardly for the centre jump so you only have a narrow, awkward safe area and it just feels cheap when you get hit.

With another few passes on some of those rough edges it would have been truly masterful. As it, it's merely a damn good Metroid game, which does the job nicely.

Aye sold it over a year ago. Was a gen 1 unpatched unit, so was running Atmosphere custom firmware. Still wasn't enough to hold my interest unfortunately. I've nothing inherently bad to say about the Switch, but I definitely don't view it as a console, hybrid or otherwise. It's a low/mid range handheld machine with a display out on it, and comes with all the limitations you'd expect from that. Serious machine for handheld fans, but that's just not me.

I adore handheld gaming but I feel I do far less of it the last 5 years. It just doesn't suit my lifestyle as much as it did when I was commuting on public transport. I still feel a lot of the best games are coming out on switch, especially with how shot triple A games are but I also feel that handheld games are now competing with the indie space which is amazingly strong now.

Master of the Universe

Do you at least have another means of playing Nintendo games like via emulation on a PC?

I absolutely love my Switch. Sure, it's way underpowered in a modern sense, but it's a Nintendo console through and through IMO. The list of games coming out on it is fantastic, I seriously can't keep up - even for the indie games alone!

Mind you, mine is 100% up to date firmware wise and I'm paying full whack for games, so am definitely in that 'savor each and every game' mode with it rather than the 'try absolutely everything out via homebew and get spoiled for choice' one which I'd be afraid might happen to me if I installed CFW.

Master of the Universe

Definitely hear you on the commuting aspect. Back when the DS came out and R4 cards were all the rage, I'd a 1 hour 45 minute commute from Bray into Tomas Street and back every day - it was an absolute godsend. Don't think I've ever played through so many new games upon release.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah I've got my main emulation setup that handles anything I need. Plus I still own a physical nes, snes, gc, N64, wii, and wii u....along with a gb, gbc, gba, ds, dsi xl, and a 3ds xl....so kinda sorted for ninty stuff :)

You're dead right about cfw, it will 100% devalue the experience, if caution isn't exercised. Flash cart syndrome is real.

Re the Switch being underpowered, it is obviously underpowered compared to more recent consoles, but you'd expect that as its a handheld. Compared to Xbox 360 and ps3 it actually fares well, its impressive considering we've that level of power in a handheld. What was a problem for me though, was not even big AAA multiplat games, it was certain first party Nintendo titles chugging down to sub 30fps, at standard definition resolutions...that was a real disappointment, considering how buttery smooth Nintendo games often are.

BotW in particular, is essentially a Wii U game, and can bring the switch to its knees. Links Awakening is another one, bizarre how Ninty let that one out the door with its performance.

For most big games and indie content alike, I find it's PC I'm most comfortable with. Consoles I tend to play exclusives on. I'll prob pick up an OLED Switch at some point just to keep the lineup complete, but I'm OK without one for now.

It's successor, whenever that appears, will likely be a very interesting machine. I'd say the days of Nintendo making static consoles are over, so it'll be a Switch U (!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Metroid Fusion at the moment. Just got to a spider robot boss that's ended up being a big difficulty spike. It's really hard to avoid the initial grab move he does, but even when you do, there's a second phase that's also really hard to navigate.

I was playing on a GBA with an IPS screen, but had to switch to GC player because I was afraid I'd break something!

EDIT:

Right after I moan about it I manage to kill that boss just before lunch is over!

Post edited by Colonel Panic on

Finished Fusion and conveniently a click and collect for an OLED Switch is now at my disposal! Hmm, I guess Dread is next, THEN Prime and Samus Returns.

Fusion was great. I really loved the music and apart from one spike in difficulty, it was an enjoyable jaunt. I do hate the cutscenes and dialogue inserted into the games now though. I get that originally, it was a technical limitation, but there was something about the story being told via gameplay in Super Metroid that I really loved about that game. Prime managed to do the same for the first two games. I guess it's just more my thing.

Master of the Universe

Finally started playing Dread myself yesterday, I'm not usually a massive fan of 2.5D visuals and prefer when games like this are sprite based - but this looks fantastic, really suits the style of the Metroid universe, some of the backgrounds look incredible.

Not too sure if I'm sold on the parry action as of yet, makes the game feel more like a modern fighting based Metroidvania like Dead Cells (which I'm sure is the point) than an explorative one.

Only mild niggles really, enjoying it immensely so far and cant wait to get back to it this evening!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dread definitely dials down the exploration, sometimes to its detriment. Overall though I think the game does a really good job of moving you along the map in a really organic and satisfying way - speed is the main focus of the game, and it has a hell of a pace.

Was so-so on the parry overall though. I think it feels great when out against normal enemies, but becomes too much like a glorified quick time event in some of the boss fights. Especially against the EMMI - the parry window's obviously extremely narrow and random on purpose, but the timing feels just that little bit too unforgiving.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Playing some Mario Kart 64 courtesy of Nintendo Switch Online...

It's expensive, but the games play very well, with a choice between the EU and US versions of the games.

MK64 is super smooth, lots of fun

Ploughing through Dread now. I've got most of the usual power ups now so guessing I'm near the end. It has been pretty enjoyable so far, but some aspects of it like the EMMIs and annoying 3D areas where you're faced with corridors you can't go down work against it for me.

The other bosses are great. Interesting move sets and challenging enough at times.

@CiDeRmAn - Isn't the N64 emulator Nintendo have used supposed to be input lag city?

In fairness, I haven't put much time into it, but I had fun with both Mario Kart and Zelda

• Advertisement

Finished Sparkster for the SNES on Normal. Need to go back to play it on Hard to get the true final boss.

I always was annoyed that the SNES got the better Sparkster. It looked amazing in screenshots and the first stage I played on emulators was pretty good.

Actually playing it though and I actually think the Megadrive game is the better one. It does look gorgeous with the SNES pulling off some insane graphical effects but after that initial opening stage the game isn't that great. Levels are big and open but badly designed, feeling like they come from the Sonic CD school of level design. There are some clever ideas in parts but it's mostly bad design. Bosses as well are very disappointing with some just not being fun or well made. And the music isn't a patch on the Megadrive game which sounds so much better.

Another win for the Megadrive then although it also means Rocket Knight Adventures never got the sequel it deserved.

Advertisement