Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The visuals were bumped, with the wide-screen a new feature for the previously GC only MP1 and 2, and the motion controls worked, I think, because the game depended so much on scanning rooms, aiming at points of interest and monsters who believe Samus' spine is a point of interest too.

Even so, I imagine if I could play the Metroid Prime games using the Switch Pro controller, they would be perfection

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

On an unrelated note to motion controls and/or VR, I picked up the remastered release of Gods on Steam last night. Good fun, gives you the option of playing in modern HD shiny visuals & sound or old-school Sega Megadrive graphics. I have the original for the MD but picked up on sale for £1.43

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I remember I had Gods on my old 386 PC back in the day, and at the time it really felt like a masterpiece game.

It feels a little clunky to play now, but I still very much enjoy dipping into it every now and then! Into the wonderful...

[Edit] Just looked that up... The 'remastered' graphics honestly look worse to me than the original graphics... Everything's too shiny, but still clunkily animated that just looks wrong with the new graphics. The reasonably recent WonderBoy and the Dragon's Trap remake, and the superb Wonderboy and the Cursed Kingdom are perfect examples of how you do retro games justice without butchering the look of them. The animation in both of them is smooth and beautiful, whereas here it looks like frame-for-frame swaps, only with a lick of varnish that makes it too plastic-y...

[Edit 2] That was based off the Steam preview video... Watching a video of it running, it is... smoother... but as I saw on a Youtube comment, it looks like one of those bad adverts that you see for a mobile game... The animation is ... off, in appearances, timing (weapon thrown before the arm moves) etc... It just looks bad.

Post edited by Star Lord on

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sitting here this evening playing Souky on my Fenrir modded Saturn from an image of the game through a scaler on an LED tv, using one of those Sega bluetooth controllers.

I'd be disgusted with myself if it didn't all work so bloody well!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I envy anyone with a decent modern setup. Flash carts, ODEs, scalers. I'm over here with my clone GDEMU, €5 RGB cables and a dodgy Scart adaptor for my TV that goes a funky colour if I move it :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I haven't even got a tv, just my PC monitor :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You are drifting further and further from your Retr0 handle there...

Next thing you know will go full Inviere, and ditch it all for emulation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Eh, About that....

Anyway to try and keep my retro cred I started Guardian Legend last night. Spent ages wandering around not knowing what to do, had to look up a walkthrough and found there's a bit of scenery you just have to blast constantly to get it to open. There's clues about that which I ignored. Anyway once I figured that out the game is flowing really well now and it's an absolute cracker.

The game is made by Compile and Irem. It's pretty much a zelda clone but way more action focused. The female cyborg you play will also transform into a spaceship at points and the game becomes a shmup. And since it's made by Compile the shooting is really solid and at full 60 FPS.

Cansee why this is considered a hidden gem on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Inviere

You say that as if I haven't just dropped several hundred euros on four Amigas :( Oh and a 21" Trinitron the other week too.

I've always said the glow of a crt and original hardware paired together remains top dog, but the sheer convenience of emulation and the quality of it these days can bring it close enough for me.

I would love to set up my now three crts in the attic on a long bench, and have an Amiga, c64 and other assorted consoles ready to play on it. Maybe a project for next summer. A Mister too for the fun of it.

I've been playing more retrogames recently thanks to the ease of using retroarch. It's much easier than climbing over boxes of shite and digging out my games which Sauron has left right at the back of the attic and under everything else, which I believe was done just so she can say 'why don't you sell those games, you don't even play them anymore'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Was playing a space trading game called Crypterion because the word was that it was basically a modern and updated version of the classic PC game Gazillionaire. Played it for a couple of hours before I realised I could just play the original Gazillionaire! Not sure why I didn't think of such an obvious solution sooner, other than being an idiot.

So, Gazillionaire, the greatest game ever made.*

I must call to your house Retr0, tell her I'm one of the nurses treating you for your addiction and I'm there to remove those offending items from the attic.

Of course, now that I have told you of my plan, I will have to come up with another...

If I just tell her the truth, that I'm there to take them for myself, she'll probably just give them all to me!

I think that later plan would be the best bet.

Contra 3 on Hard Mode is absolute insanity.

Played a good bit more Guardian Legend last night. It's an absolute classic. Really enjoying it.

Just played through the old Speccy version of the original Dizzy. Until you get your hands on the various items to get rid of the various enemies/hazards, it's a bit of a nightmare, with random flight patterns for the birds/bats etc. Still enjoyed it immensely, and brought me back to playing it in our neighbours house on their old Amstrad CPC464, with the eternal loading from the tapes only made that little bit better by some great loading screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Worztron

I remember playing Dizzy aka Dizzy: The Ultimate Cartoon Adventure (1988) for the first time on my C64. I got a lend of a friends cassette tape. I love the Dizzy series of games. My favorite of the series was Magicland Dizzy (1990). Happy days! 🥚

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Seems that there was a new one released in December 2020 too, Wonderful Dizzy, which is essentially Wizard of Oz Dizzy. Haven't tried it yet, but you can download it / play it online here:

They have all of the Dizzy games available for download for free too, which is the most wonderful thing there!

Up to stage 4 now of Contra 3 on Hard.

It's a bit like Gunstar Heroes in that they make a few small changes to hard mode and yet it's very well done and turns it into a very different game.

The first overhead stage though is complete and utter horseshit. The enemy placements you need to take out are a pain in the arse as they all have different rules on how to get them to open which make them super annoying. Two in particular are utter bullshit, one you have to stop shooting at tot get to open and another than you have to face away from to get to open which is near impossible to get decent damage on.

Really missing Hard Corps iFrame slide as well!

The NTSC-J version is apparently more forgiving (Contra Spirits). From memory, I think I only ever beat the game on normal (no continues obviously.)

• Advertisement

Normal is very manageable.

Hard at least isn't unfair but going to take a while to master it, which I'm ok with! Well except Stage 2.... and Not looking forward to the second top down stage.

The stage 5 spinny boss of Contra 3 has literally made my life worse.

Contra 3 Hard Mode finished. Well worth giving a go once you get over the games bullshit in the overhead stages. The only issue I have with how I played it is I never quite got the alien heart boss down and kind of brute force it with lives and smart bombs.

Just while I remember, there's an SA-1 romhack available for the game which removes all slowdown (the author of the hack has released a few for other games too), works brilliantly.

Congrats on beating it on hard, tough game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Worztron

Cheers ST. I had the 'Dizzy VIII - Wonderful Dizzy v1.3.1.tap' file already. I play it via my ZX Spectrum emulator. I just checked here (https://yolkfolk.com/wonderful-dizzy) and saw that v1.5 is out. It can also be played online.

🥚 :-)

Post edited by Worztron on

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm playing Metroid Prime on my old Gamecube for the first time and enjoying it a lot. The controls take a bit of getting used to but they're actually really good and it still looks nice in a retro kind of way. Also if anyone could recommend a good walkthrough guide for zelda the windwaker id appreciate it. The Gamecube still runs like a clock after being in an attic for over a decade.

I have to say, for me at least, the Metroid Prime titles, especially the first one, have aged incredibly well.

Where Halo, which came out around the same time as Metroid Prime on the GC, looks quite dated, and feels that way even with the updated visuals on the XBox One/X/S port, Metroid Prime still looks fantastic and the areas quite original.

The only thing the GC one lacks it proper 16:9 support, it's 4:3 only.

The Wii MP Trilogy adds all of this as well as motion controls (not so great).

I think the controls on the GC are probably the thing that has aged the poorest, but that is a simple matter to repair.

Fingers crossed, that collection will appear on the Switch in the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

At first I hated the controls but now I like them, the movement makes more sense combined with the lock on feature. I bought a scart to hdmi adapter for 15 quid on eBay and it works fine.

Metroid Prime controls are perfect. No need to change them. People moan and moan and moan that it doesn't play like halo but the controls are basically the same as 3D zelda games only it's in first person and not third. The lock on camera is pretty much essential so that dodging works properly.

• Advertisement

I hope that wasn't aimed at poor me!

It doesn't bother me that it doesn't control like Halo at all, but I still think the game could be made friendlier to play with a more standard control scheme.

Advertisement