Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Benefits Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭GreenGrass2019

Hi All

A quick update to say I contacted the PUP support team via email, in conclusion I got the response:

"When the time comes to transition I am sure you will receive some sort of correspondence from the PUP section."

To date I have received no correspondence and it is now two weeks to when the lowest rate will stop.

I therefore spoke to my local SW office, she explained that to move from one payment to another, you need to close your PUP and apply for JSA, all done via my welfare.ie

I'm wondering has anyone else looked into this or heard anything?

And if anyone has applied for JSA - How long the process has taken?

TIA 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 26,963 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi, that seems quite extraordinary, the bit from local SW office, they seem to be suggesting, close a pup payment before a person entitled to JSA, or when a person's PUP ends, then apply, seems very bizzare. This would mean people will could potentially go for a period with no income albeit JSA (if approved) is supposed to be back dated to date of application.

Conversely if someone currently on PUP, decides to make an application in advance of it ending, they may potentially have their PUP closed. (basically a person can not apply for a jobseekers payment while on pup)

I'd expect some better guidence on this, later in the week, I'd be surprised if they allow 1000"s of people left high and dry while awaiting a decision on a JSA application. There's also a storm brewing in the entertainment and other industries still fully closed.

At a minimum, I had expected people on PUP that's due to end, would be permitted a brief window to apply for JSA 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Hi Dempo!

I know all men / women for themselves appears to be the case, anytime I have contacted the local SW office, it's made abundantly clear that they do not know about PUP and to contact the helpline!

As I said I got no clear direction from the PUP helpline and I explained this to the SW lady who as I say basically said you need to close your PUP Claim before applying for JSA - I asked for a timeline of approval and was informed it depends, if they don't require anything extra it should be quick! (however as to the definition of 'quick' I don't know, how long is a piece of string!)

Two weeks to go and no one is able to provide clarity on how all those on PUP will be transitioned to JSA, and as you say that there won't be implications around delays processing applications!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Doesn't PUP continue until next year all be it gradually being at a reduced rate?

It is bizzare alright, I often wondered what exactly transitioning to JSA terms meant and I agree very, very vague and has never been clarified.

I'd be shocked if there's no clarity this week. From previous posts throughout this, it does appear that Intero staff have very little involvement or insight into how PUP is managed, it's definitely seems like a dedicated team, primarily online manage it.

I know its frustrating, I'd certainly hold off doing anything yet and hope there's some clarity later this week.

My sense is what's causing a lack of advice or communication is they are trying to figure out about the entertainment and other sectors still closed and unable to trade, there's further relaxing of restrictions being put together by gov. I feel (it's just a guess) their lost on what to do re those in sectors not yet open, how can they just stop or reduce their PUP, there'll be major trouble, but at the same time the Minister said months ago they can not look at PUP from a sectoral point of view as that could be considered discriminatory. At a minimum it could be late September when some of these sectors reopen and even at that, with possible restrictions. Again, I am just guessing, but I'm sensing a major conflict brewing.

Hold tight in the mean time 😉

• Advertisement

Hi, not quite, from the 7th September all students returning to full time education loose it, all recepients on the the lowest rate of €203 and €250 essentially loose it and "Transition, as its being mooted , to JSA terms" basically if you reach the €203 payment after reduction, you transition to JSA.

Those ON €300 reduce to €250, those on €350 reduce to €300 on the 7th September, moving on to November, those on €250 reduce to €203 and transition etc etc, basically by Feb 2022, everyone off pup with only a few remaining on it after November 2021.

The problem is, what does transition Actually mean, its assumed an application for JSA is required, but technically you can't apply for JSA until you close your PUP, normally only done if returning to work.

Secondly, there are still a number of sectors still closed and also many self employed on PUP, what is going to happen here 🤔

Post edited by Dempo1 on

Thanks Dempo! ... yeah I'm going to hold fire for the moment and see what plays out this week! I'm prepared now if I need to make the switch ...

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭head82

It's been my understanding that those in receipt of PUP also received a PRSI credit. Essentially so there would be no break in their already paid contributions when the time came for them to apply for dental/optical benefit, pension etc.

I get that students on the lowest rate of PUP and those returning to full time education revert to JSA terms. But I wonder if those PRSI credits are taken into account when calculating those applying for JSB? Which is obviousy not means tested and I would assume a quicker transition.

You raise an excellent point and your correct re PRSI contributions, infact if you have fill mygovid access you can open up the most up to date contributions.

Re JSB, I see no reason why this won't be an option, I don't believe it's Means tested, but it may turn out better, depending on circumstances, dependents etc to consider JSA if that option given. Keep in mind also, how JSB may use up contributions, I don't believe JSA does, there's potentially a difference between any payment that's a benifit as opposed to allowance. (perhaps more experienced poster might better explain)

Also JSB paid for a defined period, max 9 months were a person then moves (applies) for JSA, again, I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭head82

Unfortunately I don't have full mygovid access as I can't get a PSC card (unless they've changed the process on applying for one).

I didn't know someone applying for Jobseekers had the option between JSA or JSB. Worth remembering should the time come. Particularly, as you rightly state.. JSB uses up contributions. If the option is given, JSA might be the better choice. Although I doubt you would receive a credit while in receipt of JSA so there would still be a break in contributions. Requires further looking into.

• Advertisement

Pity about the mygovid. Worth checking out the PSC card, probably delays but I believe they are back doing them.

It's been a long time, but I recall being given the choice between JSB /JSA but can't be sure if that's still offered. My understanding of contributions with JSA is its a reduced contribution, not a full one but again might need clarification 😏

Give a call to your local Intreo and they will arrange an appoint for new PSC - Mine expired prior to COVID, I spoke to Intreo yesterday and they said for me to just call in and they'll take a new photo, etc and issue a new one in the post!

UPDATE

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/covid19_pandemic_unemployment_payment.html

If you are getting the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment at a rate of €203 per week

If you earned less than €200 per week and were on the €203 rate of payment up to 7 September 2021 the process of moving to a jobseeker’s payment was due to begin in early September. This has now been deferred until after all sectors have started to re-open in line with the Roadmap announced on Tuesday 31 August. The department will write to all affected people at the end of September to outline the options available to them.

SOURCE: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/43859-what-the-changes-announced-in-the-pandemic-unemployment-payment-will-mean-for-you/#if-you-are-getting-the-covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-payment-at-a-rate-of-203-per-week

That's really a positive development, I'll read shortly, I felt and mentioned it was going to be very difficult to penalise those in sectors still closed or impacted.

So basically rates will reduced as planned from 14th September and those on lowest rate won't have to move (apply) for JSA /JSB.

The Taoiseach hinted at this for those in entertainment industry earlier in the week in an interview on the news at one, it seems they are including every sector which seems fair.

The statement mentions department will write to those affected at the end of September, so at least some guidance will be given and a few extra weeks for those affected to be prepared, seems fair.

I'm curious how self employed on PUP are impacted by all of this, I presume in the same situation, there was a thread re self employed but went very quite months ago. Like Artists, musicians, students etc, I'd assume they may not be eligible for a jobseekers payment 🤔

Yes positive development.

Self employed can apply for JSA should they not have sufficient credits for JSB and be means tested. I would think it will be pointed out either one can move to a JS payment or go onto BTEA and pursue new training / education that will be funded for by the Government to learn new skills or move into a different area of work.

I think there is a big move away from working in the hospitality industry after all this and a lot of people want something that is very different. There is a lot of staff wanted signs up in cafe's / take aways / restaurants currently ...

I think your right 😉 for my sins, I spent most of my career in hospitality, but left that sector 8 years ago 🙄

UPDATE

If you are getting the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment at a rate of €203 per week

If you earned less than €200 per week and were on the €203 rate of payment up to 7 September 2021 the process of moving to a jobseeker’s payment was due to begin in early September. This has now been deferred until after all sectors have started to re-open in line with the Government Roadmapannounced on Tuesday 31 August. If you are paid at this rate you will continue to receive a PUP payment until 26 October 2021 if eligible. At that point the process of your possible transition to a jobseeker's payment will begin.

SOURCE: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/43859-what-the-changes-announced-in-the-pandemic-unemployment-payment-will-mean-for-you/#if-you-are-getting-the-covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-payment-at-a-rate-of-203-per-week

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

What do you mean by "most up to date contributions"? I just looked and it only shows up to 2020 for me. No info on 2021 contributions.

Correct nothing showing for 2021, I'm referring to the most up to date as in applicable years relevant to a claim, for example if a claim is being made in 2021, they look at previous years, 2019/20 , not current year claim being made , if I'm making sense.

I presume contributions for current year uploaded at years end .

• Advertisement

Question Answered

Post edited by Dempo1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Does anyone know if the enhanced illness benefit is still being paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Thanks Dempo.

On Monday 20th Sept myself and my partner closed our PUP claims online. We are both self employed. We have both received the PUP payment on Tuesday 21st and again today Tuesday 28th. We expected to receive the payment on the 22nd but not today. Am I right about this?

I have checked both our messages inbox at mywelfare.ie and can see we both have the message about closing our PUP payments.

I've seen this happen before. The payment is made a week in arrears. As you closed on a Monday ,you would have been entitled to the full week ahead and your week in arrears so yes, I believe its correct. Basically if you claim for any part of a week (Monday to Friday) they pay the full week .

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭TippCashel

For Fuel Allowance, can you definitely not get this if on a covid (PUP) payment?

Seems like a rough deal if not

Hi, it's never been available to anyone on PUP even with rates of payments reduced, its not even available to other payments, such as illness benefit and the rule regarding being entitled to those on JSA remains, in essence only being entitled to it after being on JSA for 12 months ( I thought it was 15 months 🤔) , obviously those fortunate enough to be entitled will welcome the €5 pw increase from midnight tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Hi all, quick question, does anyone know how long it’s taking to get application for Enhanced Illness Benefit approved, applied on Monday, still saying it’s under review, emailed doctor’s note and proof of covid test app, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭TippCashel

PUP for the 27th going to be paid this Friday is it? (With Monday being a bank hol)

Just need to budget etc

Advertisement