Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Independent ie article! Madness if you drive a ten year old plus car !

• 18-10-2021 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

have ever read such BS! As if a 2011 car isnt exactly the same as a 2021 for all intents and purposes... we dont even have a motoring industry here ! He goes on about new cars, powered by the over one hundred year old tech that most of them still employ? I.e diesel and petrol?!

How much emissions go into manufacturing and shipping? If its replacing diesel or petrol with all electric, fine, in general.

But petrol or diesel with petrol and diesel and a different number on the reg plate ? Lol!!!

"But I also know, because I get told a lot, that there are families out there praying they will get through the winter without an expensive breakdown."

The answer to a possible few hundred euro repair ? And not rocking back and forward in the foetal position with fear every night ? Spend 30,000 and sleep soundly at night!

Sure woulnt your car be your biggest worry , food on the table ? Rent ? Mortgage? Kids college fees ?

Forget it! Spend, spend, spend on an unremarkable box, your neighbours will be impressed with your pcp for five minutes !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s like he forgot to write the actual article.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

wow great article I should stop being such a loser and buy a 3 year old or newer car for the environment my 13 year old car is well maintained and just over 100,000 miles there is no collision avoidance which would be great so I make a point of avoiding collisions myself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

If you're in the position of praying your car doesn't breakdown over the winter you're not in the position to fork out 40k for a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Speedline

I was going to replace my 16 year old motor recently, until herself announced she had ordered a new 13k kitchen. I should have shown her that article. Dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

It really does seem like an introduction to an article without any actual content.

I assumed there would be some analysis or detailed opinion or just something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Thought it was a paid-for article and I was only seeing the intro.. nope, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Has there been a major improvement in safety standards in the last 10 years? I don't think they have markedly improved....

Has there been a sufficient improvement in emissions etc to offset the environmental cost of replacing a functioning car with a new one. I don't think so on that argument either........

Then you look at the photo adorning the article and, frankly, it looks nothing like the average ten year old car on the road. And looking a bit more closely at the photo it's obvious the photo wasn't even taken in Ireland.

But, wait, it's the Independent. What was I expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Well my 17 YO has to pass the NCT every year and the likelihood of it being in an accident has a lot more to do with how I drive and how much I drive.

I think Eddie is getting kick-backs from the motor industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

20 years ago if you were driving a 10 year old car it was a coin toss whether your car would start on a cold winters morning. The 10 year old car of today is a much more reliable machine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I think Eddie is getting kick-backs from the motor industry.

name me a motorising 'journalist' who isn't in thrall to the industry. their jobs wouldn't exist without people buying new cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Safety has improved incrementally in the last 10 years but the main passive safety and some of the active safety improvements had already happened 10 years ago. If everyone drove 10 year old designs, I don't believe there would be many more killed on our roads than if everyone drove new cars. Whereas if everyone drove 25 year old designs, it would be relative carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I love that they used a picture of a car that wouldn't pass an NCT. no bias there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My 22 year old car had ABS ESC curtain airbags TSC and 5 star NCAP rating I'm unsure where this total carnage was to come from ?

The only things coming out recently is collision detection systems and frankly id like to see the evidence of the level of impact they've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's the Indo, is anyone really surprised by the quality of the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I’ve said it on this site before and I’ll say it again , the independent should be be positioned in the toilet roll section of shops … cause it could only serve the same use as toilet roll… absolute **** journalism and all their stories are skewed towards their govt /business pals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Be more in his line to write an article about the risks of using ditch finder tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Was the first ncap 5 star not the 2001 Renault Laguna?

In terms of direct crash safety I think we have probably reached a peak and did so 10 odd years ago with side impact bars crumple zone airbags etc. being fairly standard. More recent safety has been more driver assistance to avoid crashes such as lane assist, auto emergency braking and the like, which I'm sure has some effect but would think is small enough. I doubt there will be any significant jump in safety until self driving becomes a mainstream thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

A ten hear old car aesthetically could be totally indistinguishable from today! If you were comparing a thirty year old car ? Yes... a twenty year old one probably...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

I wonder when he will write an article about the madness of a new car not having to get an nct for four years ! Because you know, the most important items on a car, brakes and tyres dont wear in the first four years !

Shows you what a racket the irish motoring "industry" is and how reliant government are on the funds...

Post edited by Murph85 on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Your correct it was 4 star. I correct my statement. Point stands though. Carnage? I don't think so. That Laguna is 22 years old in a few weeks also. Is a Mégane 2021 safer than it ? By what serious metric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 SlitDrip

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my car is nine and a half years old and i still think of it as being fairly new...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Is he building up to promoting another scrappage scheme?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Standard operational missive by SIMI as transmitted by acolytes in the media. The financial sector and the government would be just as happy with it. It's almost entirely set up to convince more people to buy new "green"(don't make me laugh), "safer" cars so that leads to an increase in personal finance which keeps the financial sector happy(the insurance industry is part of that, hence their BS about 15 and then 10year old cars) and the government because strong new car sales are one of the economic indicators that make the economy and confidence in the economy look good and the tax take of course. Keep us consuming.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

198k klms up on my bought from new 2008 I30 and she runs like a clock. Will I be wasting 35k on an average run of mill electric when she's good for another 8-10years, that's a negative

• Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think that's part of the issue when some people say "10 years ago" they mean the mid 90s not 2011. I do it myself with movies and music where I just can't fathom that 1996 is 25 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

My 22 year old Avensis has just passed the NCT for the 3rd year in a row. Totally safe car, most danger for any car is driver behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

He's a paid troll mas

I was going to post, but Wibbs says everything I would have said, better than I would have worded it.

Cap doffed, Wibbs, but don't let your head swell too much.

i saw a twitter spat recently where some motoring journalist took umbrage at the suggestion that a paid holiday to spain to attend a launch and do a review of a lexus, could possibly take from the credibility of the resulting review.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Too late. 😅

Motoring "journalism" is one of the most incestuous branches of the fourth estate when it comes to industry influence. It's a two way gentleman's agreement. Keep criticism to a minimum and we'll keep inviting you to junkets in sunny locales with open bars. Say something bad, or god forbid honest and good luck with ever getting into the inner circle again. The rise of youtube and social media reviewers has cut into it which is a good thing. For all the static he gets Jeremy Clarkson was one of the earlier mainstream journos being honest about car reviews and the industry and he got so big that the industry couldn't really squeeze him out though a few tried. Opel being one for a time.

Because Ireland is such a small village as far as this stuff goes and the protaganists all knowing each other it's been even more obvious down the years. In many cases the "articles" can be treated as industry press releases with the "author" byline slapped on at the top. A few of us will remember when the Jap import scene was huge here and SIMI firing out similar doom pieces about those cars. They tend to use the same bywords like safety and being more green to get people on side. A hint of a tint of letting yourself down socially another angle. It's all about their bottom line. I remember the late Gerry Ryan having an industry pundit or journo(it's hard to tell them apart) on his show going on about new cars and Gerry questioning a lot of the guy's logic. Yer man wasn't too happy at this line of questioning. We got the same journos along with the industry and government pushing diesels when that was a thing. Until it wasn't.

This particular article is a non entity, which goes nowhere, with a lot of internal WTF going on. As HC03 noted earlier: If you're in the position of praying your car doesn't breakdown over the winter you're not in the position to fork out 40k for a new car. Ah but HC, it's grand to add to your debt pile by buying some new yoke on tick.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement