Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,803 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Once again. We had the biggest ever pandemic globally in the world's history surpassing Spanish flu. Whilst operations were ongoing the notion they were as normal is absolutely untrue. Various contractors were not working. There was travel bans so external contractors couldn't come. Many workers returned to their home countries and have stayed. These are all major setbacks.

People seem to continually and conveniently gloss over this as if it's nothing and tbh it's incredibly frustrating reading the pure ignorance on display. Once again we are back to nonsense posts like above this one claiming satellite and wireless is the solution. We are not traipsing over old ground again combating this misinformation.

Messer indeed ......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

Satellite bb is a decent stopgap for those at the mid to later stages of the NBP.

There's no comparison in their capabilities though as we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Originally posted by listermint:

Once again we are back to nonsense posts like above this one claiming satellite and wireless is the solution. We are not traipsing over old ground again combating this misinformation.

Elaine Byrne, in her column yesterday, was alluding to this too, dragging up Robert Watt and the Dept of Public Expenditure's reservations about spending €3bn on the NBP and the potential of emerging technologies.

Satellite broadband is one big answer to rural Ireland's broadband woes. We no longer have to wait for the NBP. Starlink is not the only low-earth-orbit satellite that will provide high-speed broadband internet from space. Oneweb in Britain, [...]

Instead of a vast network of fibre-optic technology, a small satellite dish at your home receives the signal and passes the bandwidth to your router.

Robert Watt, then secretary general of the department, called for the NBP procurement process to be halted on the grounds that the €3 billion investment by the state was not value for money. Perhaps we should have listened to him a little bit more carefully to him back then.

Will satellite broadband bypass the need for the NBP in some areas of rural Ireland? The answer for this household in the Carlow countryside is absolutely yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 moc1985

Cappataggle ballinasloe has gone live this morning READY TO CONNECT

How people like Elaine with zero information on technology gets to parade around nonsense like that is beyond me . Maybe if she bothered doing an ounce of research you might get a decent article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Tbh if they gave me a grant to subsidise a starlink I’d get one tomorrow as I’m 100% sure It’d be better than what I have now. I’d rather have fibre but I’m being realistic that’s probably 7-8 years away

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's fair enough to say that for some, Satellite is a better option than what they currently have available.

However , it is absolutely categorically NOT reasonable to suggest that Satellite is a viable alternative to FTTH as provided by NBI - Which is what the linked article above is saying.

To use another current issue as an analogy.

If you are homeless and sleeping on the streets ,the offer of a hostel bed is likely a god-send and would seem fantastic compared to your current lot in life.

That doesn't for a second mean you no longer have a need for a house though.

Tbh what I’ve seen from starlink leads me to believe it competes fairly well with fibre atm, ofc fibre will be better but it doesn’t seem to be the huge gap we think it is

Depends what you need. 100-200mb download speeds with negligible latency is fine for most users. To use your analogy, if you’ve been homeless but now have a nice apartment or townhouse, why do you need a detached in Dalkey?

Sure Starlink won’t give you 1gb +, but who actually needs that?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

One thing Starlink won't give you is competition. What open eir, SIRO and NBI have in common is that they are open access wholesale platforms over which multiple retail ISPs can offer competing products with different value propositions.

• Advertisement

Do we think ISPs will be able to resell starlink or partner with them to facilitate local installs of it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

100-200mb download speeds with negligible latency

If that's what you get continuously then perhaps , but I sincerely doubt they can deliver that in practice over the long term, you'll also have a fairly strict download limit as well I'd imagine.

Like I said , better than some have today , but not a viable long term alternative to Fibre.

That's objectively false information. Go read the starlink threads already out. It has really high pings continuosly and always. Latency can be up and down. Yes the overal speeds are good but also suffers from outages. And it suffers from contention so if it gets super popular you are back to a full mast situation like you would with imagine.

It is quite simply no match to the current NBP and is a decent solution for some. It should never be promoted as equivalent or any such replacement for nationwide fibre. Just no. There is a huge gap in quality and capacity with fibre. It's acres of a gap .

• Registered Users Posts: 8 moc1985

Got call off kn today with an installation date for 01/11

Oatfield ballinasloe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Probably a decent place to post here as NBI vs Starlink discussion has been on going for a while. I have starlink for a week now. Still not installed where I want it but its without obstruction.

My early impression is

- God send for likes of me who need fast download and upload speeds. Avg 160 - 210Mb down or so and 35 up.

- Amazing to be able to work away while download/uploads/other users are on the network with zero issues. My old vdsl connection of 14Mb would grind to a halt if a download or upload was taking place. I literally smiled as I watched a 5 gig work update downloaded in minutes and still be able to work as normal.

- latency is still very high - averaging 35- 60ms with some spikes and packet loss. rare but it happens.

- very rare occasional outages that last 5-10 seconds but these are literally down to maybe 1-3 times a day.

- the latency issue can be felt when loading some websites and especially Facebook services such as Instagram and Facebook itself. It can be very very poor on those sites at times esp. where pages, videos just don't load. Not even fully sure why they suffer so much.

- online gaming, again great for fast downloads but the ping sets it back as you average 50ms and the spikes in also hurt it. Outages again could result in a complete disconnect but I haven't ran into this yet.

- starlink router is poor but will buy my own soon.

-4k streaming isn't an issue at all on starlink now. Other streaming ‐ Outages were frustrating the first day knocking me off sky go on the xbox but again that was down to where I had the dish placed at the time.

- The 100 euro month sub is crazy expensive.

TLDR - Starlink is a great solution while I wait for NBI but would be even better coming in at around 60 euro.

It still doesn't come anywhere near to touching Fibre to the home and as soon as NBI come around, il be saying good bye to Starlink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

The 100 euro month sub is crazy expensive.

Probably good thing , otherwise would be unusable or they introduce some data cap FUP etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

In same boat as yourself, stop gap to summer 2023 till NBI arrives. For now its progress going from 2Mb to 300.

BTW, keep us posed on the router upgrade.

what model are you thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Messer1

Meant to post a comment here about Starlink et al. Put it in https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118038377/#Comment_118038377 by mistake. Includes a chart showing DL performance over several months.

Just some responses to comments above:

Don't think Starlink will ever need to use resellers. Product is designed for DIY installation - customers can easily engage installers directly for tricky installs and DHL etc. cab offer excellent delivery services to customers from antenna manufacturing bases.

LEO sat broadband could become extremely competitive as TeleSat, OneWeb, Amazon etc. start operating.

There is no DL cap or talk of one.

Latency and DL/UL performance will improve greatly as more sats are launched etc.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Don't think Starlink will ever need to use resellers.

It's not really a question of need. If you have a vertically-integrated service provider (the same company owns the infrastructure as sells the service to the public), you (the consumer) don't get the benefits of competition.

If you don't like eir, you can switch to Westnet or Digiweb or whoever. If you don't like Starlink...?

If you don't like Starlink ..... switch to Amazon,  Westnet or Digiweb or whoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭clohamon

Are you still getting free service from Starlink?

Yep, and still paying eir for my (unneeded backup) FTTC service. Your point?

Your doc says "Brian... has no commercial links to any business interests discussed in this document"

Surely, getting free service is at least a benefit-in-kind?

Wait what your getting free service. Your just Hocking a service you get for free. Thats not really an unbiased opinion.

It offers no net benefit to me as I also continue to pay for a parallel service. I think you are scrapping the bottom of a (very) empty barrel.

Well that's nonsense. And way off topic. But here we are

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

How can I avail of this free starlink service and still keep paying for my up to 5 Mbps wisp?

• Advertisement

Does starlink own the low orbit satellite network they are building or can other providers piggy back on it?

Advertisement