Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭clohamon

The target for 2022 seems to be set at 86K according to T.J. Malone of NBI. So that leaves c.100K/yr for 2003-2006 - which is about the rate Eircom achieved for the much easier 300K from 2017 through 2019.

Maybe some journo could ask them how it can be done by the end of 2022. I'm sure Danny Healy-Rae knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Strettie11

Soap Opera continues ..........

October 1st failed install due to reasons identified before but told pole and ducting to be installed within 4 business days

October 6th 4 business days reached and no sign of pole or any communication. Contacted KN to be told there is a demand for poles !!! I wonder why

Told that I will definitely be installed by October 12th

October 8th Receive call from KN for install appointment scheduling me for install on October 12th at end of call I ask will pole and ducting be installed on same day . KN representative asks me is pole not installed yet when I answer no she says she will follow up. 30 mins later receive call that pole will not be installed until at least the 18th and will schedule me for install on 19th and thanking me for indicating pole was not installed.😮

Took a 30 min breather and rang KN back for definitive date for pole install and an escalation of my case. Told a manger would contact me.

Stay tuned for the continuing adventures of NBI install........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

You asked too many questions. 😅

When given the install date for the 12th you should have kept schtum about the pole. Let them turn up to discover it's not done.

If they have enough wasted trips it might kick them into action.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

@Strettie11 Thanks for posting your original issue, my own setup is similar to yours and I contacted NBI to check of the survey on my road had identified anything. Low and behold, no prerequisites were identified but there is a note on my property to do a pre-connection survey which I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

NBI mentioned an install team could possibly extend the top of the pole on the far side of the road on my setup if clearance was a problem. Did you hear anything similar from KN?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

All these posts about site surveys and specifications has me a bit worried.

When my house was built ~17 years ago we had ducting run from the pole opposite the house for the phone cable - My house sits about ~50 feet above the road and about ~50m from the pole so they couldn't run the cable from the top of the pole at the time due to the angle. The pole would have needed to be about 75' high..

Will that existing 17 year old ducting be sufficiently large/good enough to carry the fibre cabling?

It would be about 2 inches in diameter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Shouldn't be a problem. Even if blocked they will clear it......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Vodafone connects first 'ultrafast' 2GB broadband customer, the article doesn't say which network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Got an email saying my connection has a 6 month delay so June/July instead of November/December.

Do people feel this is the thin edge of the wedge to more delays or will they complete it on the new schedule? Were the delays Covid related or something else entirely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Not sure, how do you find out and what does it stand for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Had a look and for my area its saying 'Network Build in Progress' so at least thats something. Their email didnt explain the 6 month delay though so was just wondering if that was becasue of Covid or other reasons?

If it does arrive in 6 months I suppose Im one of the lucky ones, I read others have been pushed out 3 or 4 years.

When it does come along how does it work in terms of operators, is there any minimum amount of operators set in each area or could you end up with a choice of one or two and thats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Strettie11

Johnnyboy08 unfortunately not an option for me . I have a bungalow with a hipped roof so the highest point they could connect to is only 8 feet off the ground . This is why they need to put pole on my side of road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Probably the IFN. Eir's FTTH rural rollout and Siros rollout can't go past 1GB without upgrades. Hopefully both Eir and Siro will upgrade the networks to be capable of speeds beyond 1gig over the next year for those who want it.

why would a consumer need those kind of speeds?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Probably the IFN.

2Gb won't be available on IFN until near the end of the month, as far as I'm aware.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Running a data centre in their kitchen. Obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CptMonkey

I’m survey pending 2025 to 2026. Who knows when they will get around to actually putting up fibre

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Most wouldn't but it would be the upload speeds some would be after and these will only be available on Eir's urban IFN and the NBI. The NBI will be offering upload speeds of 200 and 400 on their top tier plans from January. IFN will probably have similar upload speeds on their new plans from the end of this month.

Eir's rural FTTH and Siro will probably stay at max 1000/100 unless both companies upgrade the networks to support more than 1 gig and that could be a few years away from happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

It is unclear whether Open Eir are now launching a 2Gb/s product. They have removed all mention of it from their latest documentation. They are however launching two new profiles with increased upload, 1Gb/s with 150Mb/s up and 500Mb/s with 100Mb/s up. These are in addition to the current profiles not replacing them. It will be interesting to see if NBI follow suit.

The Vodafone 2Gb/s story mentioned earlier is likely on the Siro network as Siro are apparently undertaking a 2Gb/s trial.

The fact there's even a sniff of 2Gbps is amazing considering only two years ago:

150Mbps broadband product available for consumers upgraded to 300Mbps by year 6 and 500Mbps by year 10

Up to 1Gbps products for businesses, also upgraded to 2 Gbps by year 11 and incrementally beyond that.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/e15062-high-speed-broadband-for-11m-people-in-homes-schools-businesses-acro/

my god that is some wait. Wonder what is taking them so long, you'd think they would employ a team of contractors in every county and get it done quicker than 5 or 6 years away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

Good news for some of the islands around Donegal and Mayo as they are brought forward for connection.

Inishfree Island (DL), Rutland Island (DL), Eighter Island (DL) and Eadarinis Island/Eighter Island/Inishcoo, Burtonport (DL) are all due live December 2021 - February 2022 instead of the previous 2023 - 2024 dates.

Inishlyre/Kilmeena Westport (MO) and Collanmore/Carrowholly Westport (MO) are due live January 2022 - March 2022 instead of the previous 2023 dates.

There are 44 premises in total over all of the above listed islands. I woner what has prompted NBI to accelerate these connections. Can we expect to see some PR pieces about the most remote getting connected perhaps.

So it seems the NBI, IFN and Siro are going to possibly launch services faster than 1 gig within the next 6 to 12 months. All of a sudden Eir's FTTH network will be behind all of these services unless they upgrade the black box's on the poles. Right now there is no need for speeds beyond 1 gig as most people do not have the 2.5gig network cards but at some stage Eir are going to have to upgrade the network if all other networks plan to offer increased speeds for those who want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CptMonkey

Probably something similar to the adds 3 ran about the island they connected. Pr and all the while the original program keeps slipping

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mrtdecks

Live in a rural area and every house on the road has been surveyed and are at the the pre-order stage, except mine of course. The nbi website is saying they should have me connected by 2025. Why in the name of jaysus would they leave out 1 house? What's the chances of them ever coming back for 1 house

Two houses on my road are in the same boat, primarily because either:

1. They weren't built at the time of the survey
    2. They didn't have an eircode at the time of the survey

Did you fall into either category? Did you try contacting NBI with your eircode, etc? https://nbi.ie/contact-us/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Mrtdecks

No fall into neither category. Just figured it was quitting time on Fridqy evening or something and they didn't bother coming back. Cheers for that. I'll email them

Advertisement