Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

fabric plays vital role for bad smell however if you had shower on the same day less likely you would have any bad smell.

T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

The original point made by the OP above seems to have been missed. The issue raised was with the T-Shirts, not anti-perspirant/deodrant. I've often had heavy cotton (think Fruit of the loom style) T-shirts that seemed to be impossible to get the smell out of, even after washing. The problem was particularly bad when using the cream/stick deodrants which acted as a magnet for the sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

They look like the Hit Fitness ones so 24kg, if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

I've a question about leg exercises. I was always under the impression that in order to get a balanced leg workout involving all muscles, that you would need to include the exercise as in the first image, in order to get the inner thighs. But funnily I can't think of any natural thing that you'd do that would involve these muscles. Not to mention that I can't think of any home exercise that would target them. Is there another way of targeting this part of the muscles?

The hams of course are another. Are these muscles really used that much when cycling? How come you never feel pain (or DOMS) in your hamstrings in the same way you do with your quads during any form of general exercise? You only feel such if you target that muscle, as in the image below. Doesn't this imply that the hamstrings are typically under-exercised?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Your first point, what if you wanted to crush a watermelon between your legs?

hamstrings are used every time you bend over to pick something up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Your hip adductors (muscle in the first picture) are prime movers in the squat.

Not every feels DOMs in the same way and they're not a huge sign of anything. If you ever pull or strain your hamstring you'll realise how they're used in so many movements.

Would just squatting build up those muscles to the point that they aren't a weak spot? For most people I mean.

Since I've been working out at home with just a rack, leg day has felt very different to the gym.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

In general if you build up squat and deadlift variations I do think in practical terms it covers most of the bases. If you squat 1.5-2 times bodyweight are you really going to worry about a weak inner thigh?

If a muscle group is lagging there are variations that you can use.

However, it must be said that isolation work with machines has advantages, you still find it’s bread and butter for hypertrophy gurus for a reason.

Ideally it’s both, not either / or.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I had some issues with my adductor so my trainer gave me variations of clams, leg raises and Copenhagen. They helped me. My leg definitely feels stronger and more stable.

I suppose in the future I'll keep something in there to prevent recurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Last year i twanged a hamstring, anything beyond walking hurt, yet I could hop on a bike and cycle into wicklow and felt nothing, putting my foot down to stop at lights was the only thing.

Some sideways running would be more practical than that first machine if up do any sort of outdoors running maybe a bit of band or mobility work, might help prevent groin strain

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

I use a band for the outside leg muscles. I tried to do the inside muscles with band by tying it around a pole, but it's too difficult a setup. And there was a lot of hassle in tying and untying it all the time.

But those cyclists must affectively have a strength imbalance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

You don't need to target every single muscle individually. Vast majority of them can be hit with multi-joint exercises. On top of that, I don't know of any reason why you would need every muscle to be trained the same amount, unless that's your goal?

Many of them do have a strength imbalance, as do most people. It's good to train your full body but it's not something I'd be concerned about from an injury perspective. Unless you plan on attempting some out-of-the-blue maximal hip adductions. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

There is a PT here (possibly Transform?) that previously stated that cyclists (or former cyclists) are very prone to imbalances and tightness from spending hours and hours exercising in a fixed position. I'm only paraphrasing so can't remember the specifics.

Also, with that picture of the lying leg curl for hamstrings... hamstrings are a group of muscles that are both responsible for knee flexion and for helping hip extension. So doing leg curls only helps with the knee flexion bit. If you are doing something isolation-ey for glutes, you might be hitting the hip extension hamstring parts, but it really depends on what you're doing.

As someone else said, relying on machines to target every muscle is a difficult task. Learning how to use free weights and compound exercises means you're training movements, rather than individual muscles, and less likely to get imbalances.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As above adductors and a small muscle group, but they are used in a lot of movements. Particularly initiating flexion and rotation.

Hamstrings are knee flexion and hip extension. Walking, running, jumping, anything where you bend a knee or straighten your hip. I'm not sure why cycling is the benchmark. But the upward section of pedaling is knee flexion and hip extension. More important with clips.

Cyclists do often have imbalances. Or another way, optimal strength strength development for cycling, could be very imbalanced generally.

As for how to train them. Horse stance squats, horse stance push presses and loaded tailors pose are all adductor heavy exercises (and often used to strength adductors in order to do the splits).

if you didnt want to over think it incorporating a bunch of Ben Patrick's (thekneesoertoesguy) exercises would cover a lot of bases, down to insanely simple exercises like walking backwards on a turned off treadmill as a good one for knee joint strength or Tib raises so you strengthen the smaller front muscles in your lower leg.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

@Cill94 I don't know of any reason why you would need every muscle to be trained the same amount, unless that's your goal?

Longevity. And appearance too; if every muscle in the body is toned, then you will look better. I don't intend for them to be trained the same amount, but I do intend to train them all.

By the time I'm 70 if a certain muscle has been active my whole life, then that will stand to my advantage.

Longetivity has more to do with being strong enough to do essential movements i.e. walking, lifting, sitting up out of a chair, etc. Along with a healthy diet and cardiovascular fitness. I don't think having done enough hip adduction sets will factor into that equation to any significant degree.

As for appearance, that's a subjective decision to be made based on what muscles you want to develop. Certainly makes sense to train a muscle more if you want it to look more developed.

@Cill94 Longetivity has more to do with being strong enough to do essential movements i.e. walking, lifting, sitting up out of a chair, etc. Along with a healthy diet and cardiovascular fitness. I don't think having done enough hip adduction sets will factor into that equation to any significant degree.

Most people tend to exercise the muscles at the front of their bodies more than the muscles at the back. For example, people will tend to do push ups for the chest more than pull ups for the back. People will exercise the bicep more than the tricep. I heard someone say that if the hams aren't stretched enough, that this can actually play an indirect part in forward head posture becoming more prominent.

Being the only one who can get into a start position probably helps 😂

• Advertisement

They do tend to yes. Evidence that it leads to pain or injury is not there. Certainly is a good idea to train your back though. 👍️

The last part about tight hamstrings affecting head posture has no scientific backing. We don't know what causes a forward head posture, or if it's even a bad thing to begin with.

But isn't there more of it now than before. I'd imagine it's things like PC screens being too low. Or handle bars on a bike being too low.

As a tall man I've realised that it's actually more convenient to walk around in a slightly hunched position given that so many of the things I have to do (be it door handle or worktops) involve stooping.

i don't know if there is more of it now tbh.

If it were the case that leaning forward changes your head posture, then changing thatt would be as simple as focusing on keeping a more upright head posture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Prolonged driving, it absolutely breaks me tbh, no proble :(s after squats, RDL etc but that leaves me in bits :(

They're all saying that you're generally posture changes into a more forward position even if you aren't leaning forward.

For many people it does, but that's part of the ageing process. Our musculoskeletal structures get weaker and worse at resisting the force of gravity. Hence the classic hunchback granny look. Maybe a certain amount of that can be staved off with resistance training. Again, we don't really know.

Stretching the hamstrings likely has no connection to any of that though.

@Cill94 Stretching the hamstrings likely has no connection to any of that though.

This is where I heard it said (from 6:02) about stretching the hams having an indirect effect on posture. Sounded convincing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-7ZWPCWv0U&ab_channel=ATHLEAN-X%E2%84%A2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Get yourself a cheap luggage scale and you can weight everything around your gym. Cable pulley markings are way off in our gym - up to double the amount stated on the labels, SSB weights 22kg (not branded).

• Advertisement

Yeahhh... AthleanX isn't exactly evidence based fitness information. I'll admit he's good at sounding like he knows what he's talking about though.

Advertisement