Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Emulation Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,841 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

*zips up fly just before making love to a PVM*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Doge

Any links to the source of the candid photography, I mean the shader presets? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Doge

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

It's been a while since I looked into the Retroarch cores. Is there a general consensus on what the best cores are for the main systems? As in PC Engine, Megadrive, SNES, NES, PS1, Saturn etc.

I've got redream setup for the Dreamcast as i paid for the license a year or two ago. It runs great but I understand there's some compatibility issues with a lot of the DC library.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,841 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

BSNES for SNES

MESEN for NES

The Beetle cores for PS1 and Saturn

Beetle for PC as well I think

I had trouble with Dreamcast but it was an issue with RDNA2 and the renderer. Flycast I think is supposedly the best and I've been using it standalone until I get around to fixing the compatibility issues.

I'm not sure about megadrive. I think it's Genesis Plus GX

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Pi Hut have a emulation ready and complete for only €75, including a decent case, official PSU and two SNES controllers.

Not too bad, especially compared to the utter nonsense prices on Adverts

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Anyone using a Wii U for emulation?

Have a chance at one really cheap (nearly free) and was thinking of modding it - videos on youtube look impressive.

I say if you are only using it for emulation then a raspberry pi solution will be cheaper and easier to use. I don't imagine the WiiU emulators are anything better than the less accurate high level ones you'd run on a Pi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭Inviere

PC Engine - Beetle - beetle_pce

Megadrive - Blastem is cycle accurate, but Genesis Plus GX is probably the most common. You won't notice the difference outside of some obscure tech demos.

Snes - Bsnes is cycle accurate, but again, Snes9x is not noticeably any different. Bsnes however has the newish HD Mode 7 feature, which is pretty damn cool for the handful of games it can apply it to. From memory, Bsnes doesn't place nice with shaders but that could be ancient history. Snes9x also runs MSU1 content very very easily these days. Check out the true widescreen patches for SMW and Super Metroid, amazing stuff.

NES - Nestopia, Mesen, etc....most of them are all trading blows nowadays. The Mesen HD Packs are an interesting thing to explore too, like the HD-Mode7 stuff.

PS1 - I use Beetle HW for this. I'll post my settings shortly for a quick gander if anyone fancies it. Internal resolution boost, pxgp, super sampled back down to native, and a shader applied....absolutely beautiful looking.

Saturn - Beetle Saturn, based on mednafen (leads the pack re Saturn emulation.)

Dreamcast - Flycast (though I paid for the ReDream license also, Flycast has passed it now imo.) No issues this end with an Nvidia GPU. It also runs Naomi stuff too.

RetroArch - Beetle PSX HW Settings:

Video Options:

Internal GPU Resolution x8

Dithering Patten - Internal Resolution

Texture UV Offset - ON

Texture Filtering - SABR

Adaptive Smoothing - ON

SuperSampling - ON

Multi Sampled Anti Aliasing - 2X

MDEC YUV Chroma Filter - ON

Software Framebuffer - ON

PGXP Settings:

PGXP Operation Mode - Memory Only

PGXP Perspective Correct Texturing - ON

Video output - Vulkan

Set all of the above, set your shader of choice & save it, save a core options content directory file, save a config over-ride, enjoy, and don't have to touch again!

• Advertisement

RetroArch - Mupen64Plus-Next settings:

CPU Core - Dynarec

RPD Plugin - ParaLLEI-RDP

RSP Plugin - ParaLLEI

VI Refresh Overclock - 1500

GlideN64 Settings (some of these may be default, I can't remember!):

4:3 Resolution - 1440x1080

Hybrid Filter - ON

FXAA - 1

LOD Emulation - ON

Framebuffer Emulation - ON

ColourBuffer to RDram - DoubleBuffer

GPU Shader Depth Write - ON

Cache GPU Shaders & Textures - ON

ParaLLEI-RDP Settings (again, some may be defaults):

Synchronous RDP - ON

Upscaling Factor - 4X

Dither SSAA Framebuffer Effects - ON

Downsampling Factor - 1/8

Deinterlacing Method - Bob

Again, video backend should be Vulkan, same a config override and a content directory options file, apply your shader of choice, save it how you prefer, and enjoy.

I can't vouch for it as an emulation box, I don't imagine it would be anything but ok at best....but it might prove to be a great GameCube, Wii, and Wii U box all in one!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thats ideally what I want it for - Im using a pc and an old model wii at the minute for gamecube.

Im using a pc for older stuff. Ive too many different systems - ideally want an all in one emulator machine. Thought a wii u modded might suit but maybe a pi4 is the way to go.

A Pi 4 will only bring you so far too, I'd forget about GameCube on it in any decent state. Its a cheap, but limited solution. For a truly all in one setup, you'll need a small form factor PC with a half decent cpu and gpu. The benefits open up a lot more then with runahead, shaders, systems, etc. Then you've dolphin and cemu for GC, Wii and Wii U. That said, you'd be hard pressed to beat the price/value of a Pi.

So most of my emulators are setup ok it seems. Weirdly I can't see the option to pick beetle cores for anything within Launchbox, but the cores are there if i open Retroarch separately. Might have to have a proper look at this later as it seems.

Beetle cores are often labelled as mednafen cores in Launchbox, as they're derived from that....so check for mednafen_psx etc

That was it, so apart from the Saturn and Dreamcast I had them setup on the correct cores already.

Run the built in core updater in RetroArch too, to pull down the latest versions of all installed cores...and you're good to go.

Ah yes, i always keep them up to date. That and grabbing the latest Retroarch from https://buildbot.libretro.com/

I just tried the HSM Mega Bezel Reflection Shader there.....good lord, all I'll say is it's VERY convincing....

Full size/non compressed image - https://forums.libretro.com/uploads/default/original/2X/e/edcdb185e97e6249ec15eb1e59f636911c6e16fa.jpeg

The only thing is, it takes a WHOPPING 40+ shader passes, so there's a slight delay in loading them all when you first launch the game, and then it's perfect. But it's immensely impressive. This won't be coming to a Pi any time soon, that's for sure.

Post edited by Inviere on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Anybody any experience with batocera , seem to be having weird issues with a hardrive I got where sometimes it doesn't detect the games.

Boots okay but it's default no games, when I use paragon to run an fsck on it works then. Its a bit tempremental. And then by booting it another time works fine.

Had a think about this, I don't think I'll use it as my daily driver so to speak. It's probably the best shader I've ever seen, is weirdly realistic and looks amazing....I just think because the screen has to accommodate for a bezel, it makes the game area a touch too small to what I'm used to (and this is on a 42" panel). When I update my tv I might revisit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Genesis Plus GX supports MD+ (Mega Drive MSU1 equivalent) now, also. I helped eke work through some of the initial teething* and it's working as intended now, although I'm not sure if the final changes have made it in to the libretro fork yet.

*Tracks were restarting from the beginning and not looping, loops were inaccurate, fades were cumulative and didn't reset, requested a CDDA volume setting as the default CDDA volume is louder than the MegaSD's default setting of 80%. There's a resolved bug thread here.

Fantastic man, fantastic. From memory there were two formats for music enhancement when it came to Megadrive...based on the two different flashcards maybe?

A few weeks back I got MD+ working on the Wide version of GPGX's libretro core, but I don't think the functionality had made it into the mainline build at that stage. I messed about with an MD+ version of the SoR ost and it was class.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I have a Rasberry pi 4, b, 4gb.

What's the best general emu software for this? Retropie??

Also, is it possible to use a Xbox controller or Switch or Wii U pro controller via Bluetooth or USB with this? And get good results ?

Did some googling, but getting hit and miss answers.

Really, it's for up to 90s arcade games and snes level 16 bit consoles.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

No experience with it myself. Is it possible to schedule the paragon\fsck scan as a scheduled bootup task, and at least that way it'll be done every time?

RetroPie as far as I know is your best bet on a Pi. Those controllers shouldn't be an issue to get running, but keep in mind bluetooth comes with way more input lag than wired usb...so on a system like a Pi where input lag might already be an issue, you're experience might not be optimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Ok. Thanks.

Been lazy here. Watched a couple of YouTube videos. RetroPie seems fully optimised for pi 4 now. Wired controllers it seems. Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Yeah I was thinking the fs, might be a bit janky, think the image I have on it is prob the issue it'd not version batocera 32, when I installed clean image off batocera on usb and used the HDD for games it worked a lot better. But rather have them all in one , but if I reinstall on the HDD be bye bye games.

• Advertisement

What's your setup, can you add a small/cheap bootdrive and keep the larger drive for storage in that case?

Advertisement