Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

General Emulation Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭ Steve X2

Looks great. If it was me I'd dial the blur back a couple of percent. But that's just my taste in shaders rather than anything CRT accuracy related.

But I'll def give then a go as I've not looked at shaders in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭ Inviere

Aye you can tweak endless amounts of parameters via the "shader parameters" menu, it's pretty comprehensive. These presets are just the guys own tweaked settings, and are tight enough to be default for most. I'm not overly sold on artificial crt curvature, so I like that the death to pixels shader I chose has that disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭ Doge

It would be great to get your thoughts on them. I still didn't get around to trying out your presets. Maybe it you like these and tweaked the blur you could upload a Stevex2 edit? 😁

Would be cool too if they could be added to the first post of the thread to make them easier to find.

Actually I completely forgot about Steve's settings myself....so my bold claims about these being the best I've seen don't include a comparison to Steve's ones! My only gripe about the Mega Bezel shaders are, from a couch gaming perspective, they reduce the screen size significantly (obv to allow for the bezel). For that reason alone, they won't be my 'daily driver' shader, but they're good enough that I've made a second config to be able to use them at the click of a button instead. I'll def look back and try Steve's settings soon though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭ Steve X2

I think my shader settings are still decent enough, but definitely need a revisit to get a bit more out of them. They are very much tweaked to look the way I want them to on a 4k display rather than going for 100% crt look(less blur like i mentioned above and a few other things).

I thought I'd have so much more time during this apocalypse to mess around with stuff(retro and otherwise), but it's kept me busier than ever :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭ The Last Bandit

XBOX Retroarch retail mode install makes it a breeze to setup now, external USB support from rom/iso loading as well so no more storage concerns :)

Full access to ram etc too? Think dev mode limited system resource access? Is it a legit store install these days (surprising if so), or still some trickery needed?

Some dev has published the packages and installable from the Edge browser on the Xbox. No idea what the resource limitations are but seems to works pretty well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 46,901 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Retr0gamer

Anyone tried reducing input lag with retroarch? Really want to give the punchout games a go but don't want to be struggling with input lag with them either, they are tough enough as is.

As in the runahead feature? Or other tweaks?

Runahead is all I've ever needed with RA, game changer of a feature.

• Advertisement

That said, Retroarch has become a bit of a dirty word in emulation circles these days unfortunately

I was never big into any sort of scene 'drama', and still don't profess to fully understand it, but there's some concerning allegations being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mobius2021

Long time Boardsie here (original account was from Oct 2005!), moved to a new acccount about a year ago.

I'm currently enjoying Earthbound on Switch so much I am yearning for more good handheld retro action. I decided to bite the bullet and go for a Retroid Pocket 2+. It was $136 (€121) including delivery assuming I don't get hit by import duties.

It seems the best retro handheld in that general price bracket - emulates up to the PS1/N64/Saturn (Saturn is so-so) era with some reasonable Dreamcast emulation as well. For me I want it for SNES, GBA and Arcade emu mainly. I'm going to try and curate and be strict with what I load onto it, too easy to go nuts and load a full ROM set onto it - end up playing a few minutes of hundreds of titles.

Purists might scoff at a machine like this and point to the brilliant Analogue Pocket instead - but this gives me good flexibility at a decent price point.

Could take 2 months for it to arrive - might go for Mother 3 on GBA with the latest fan translation as my first game hopefully. Anyone else take the plunge with one of these handhelds?

Philips CDi core has now been added to Retroarch :) No more excuses to avoid playing these classics

It's a very stripped down Mame CD-i core, simplifies a lot of the setup that'd previously have been required.

Also seen something about Naomi 2 stuff possibly coming to Flycast at some stage, which is great to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ 80s Synth Pop

I haven't been following flycast as demul runs every naomi game fine for me. Do you know what's better about flycast? A few years ago I made a video of my naomi cab for someone on ukvac comparing the naomi 2 hardware to a pc running demul. Couldn't tell the difference.

Flycast is a lot more modern (don't think Demul has been updated in several years), and supports modern nicities like internal resolution increases, and so forth. It's also open source which is a huge plus. Naomi 2 has been locked behind Demul for years because its closed source.

Looks like emulation on Steamdeck is going to pretty smooth :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 46,901 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Retr0gamer

Tried Flycast on retroarch again and it's finally working with AMD hardware. Working quite nicely as well. Maken X ran rather nicely and I only saw one minor graphical glitch.

I think I'll always go Nvidia for the foreseeable future, there always seems to be something that doesn't work quite right re emulation and AMD gpu's. Shame as I'd love an all AMD build.

You kind of have to go amd for emulation if using a crt for emudriver. Sometimes there are bugs but usually there is a fix available.

• Advertisement

I actually really appreciate the modes that AMD have on their cards for running older lower resolution games. They look stunning compared to when I had my 1070.

I wanted to go nvidia but it was just impossible to find a card but happy with the AMD and I still think we are a generation away from decent ray tracing performance.

Ah AMD make a fine card, and definitely have their uses. They have been for years, and still are, lagging behind in emulation performance versus Nvidia. There's always a performance differential, and there can be opengl and Vulkan issues in the mix too. It comes down to their drivers. If I needed a gpu for mainstream gaming, I'd have no issue buying AMD, but because I require a gpu for emulation purposes too, I'll always default to Nvidia.

I've read up on it and a lot of the time it's not drivers. A lot of it comes down to developers making games with nvidia as the lead platform. On top of that it comes down to the differences in architecture as well. Apparently it comes down to nvidia using a software scheduler and AMD sticking with a hardware scheduler which makes it a disaster in DX11 and older API's:

A lot of emulation since it's amateur would be single threaded which would benefit Nvidia a lot more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 8,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Andrew76

Morning folks, I'm just wondering if VitaDeploy is still the handiest way to jailbreak a Vita 1000?

It could be Andrew, its years since I done anything on a Vita. This guide I think has the most up to do info, so have a read of it and see if it's applicable - https://vita.hacks.guide/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 8,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Andrew76

Top man thanks. Have been watching a few videos about retro gaming handhelds and saw one about modding the Vita, something to tinker with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,709 ✭✭✭ Tom Mann Centuria

Great machine to mod, sd2vita is a handy thing for a few euro once you've modded it. Gives you much cheaper storage options rather than the crazy overpriced vita memory cards. PSP emulation is fantastic (via Adrenaline), I think I use that more than the Vita side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ petejmk

I followed the same guide earlier this year and VitaDeploy worked perfectly. The lad running that site/channel is brilliant at easy to follow instructions.

Preview vid of upcoming MAME release being able to emulate the linking capabilities of this game

• Advertisement

Mame is usually excellent for emulating networked cabs. Most of the multiplayer driving games are covered at this stage. Nice to see this one officially added too. There is usually a bit of configuration to be added to the mame.ini file on each pc to get the network running.

I wonder will we ever see an official "netplay" build of mame to allow 4x player games like the simpsons be played across two cabs.

Advertisement