Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Emulation Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭Inviere

It's beyond description how important it is, and how it's so professionally managed and contributed to all by volunteers. It's above gold standard in every way.

I love how it has branched out to home machines too, particularly microcomputers. However I've been reading lately about cv1000 speed issues with Mame, and how in general with software emulation it's incredibly complicated to accurately emulate slowdown/wait states etc...this even spills over into cps1 stuff etc, where we seen Mister is able to 1:1 the timings in hardware, but Mame still can't (yet).

Still, it continues to improve time and again, so in time I'm sure someone will solve it. A lot of current issues seem to stem from simply needing more contributors, rather than software limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I remember when it first came out... It was like magic. I know there are other emulators but this does so much and has been going for so long..

It's like git or Linux ... It's just brilliant and free.

I'd say the remaining problems are the harder ones to solve. No low hanging fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mobius2021

Finally got my Retroid Pocket 2+ last week. They had production issues but they are resolved now.

I love it. Emulation is very strong on it as the reviews say. Followed some straight forward setup guides on Youtube and have GBA, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, PSP, PS1, Saturn all working perfectly. Currently dividing my time between Super Mario RPG (SNES) and GTA Liberty City Stories (PSP). Build quality is decent and considering it cost me $136 in total including shipping it was a great deal I think.

Only negative but cannot complain too much at the price is it would be great if It had a slightly larger screen.

I hope I get some good use out of it and if I do I could see myself upgrading in 2-3 years when hopefully these Android handhelds are powerful enough to emulate PS2/Xbox/Gamecube pretty flawlessly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've that many ways to play games on the go, at this stage, I don't think I can buy any more!

I have a Retroflag GPi case with a Pi0 inside and it works quite well for everything I need, not really after PS2/GC or Xbox tbh, Dreamcast would be nice though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

A Pi4 would handle Dreamcast games quite nicely. Anything before that struggles with them a little, even the 3b+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Lads. I'm having a few irritating issues on RetroArch (via Project Eris on PSC). I normally don't post any problems I have as I typically use Reddit or YouTube, but in this case, Reddit users aren't responding (instead they just keep upvoting my question and I get no replies) and I can't put some of my issues into words that Youtube will remotely understand what it is I'm trying to explain. So I thought I'd come here!

When playing a game that uses rumble, the vibration goes on a little too long. FIFA 99, for example: a simple tackle should cause the controller just to vibrate in time with the impact, but instead it's a long, drawn-out vibration that doesn't feel right.

Another issue I'm having is; I can't set any bindings to the touchpad on my Dualsense because RA thinks I'm using the Xbox 360 controller and I don't know how to change it.

Third issue; On some games, after a while, the buttons become overly sensitive.

I was trying to play Premier Manager 98 the other day and I couldn't get past the name-input screen because the D-Pad went mental, going back and forth at a rapid rate.

On another game was I navigating a pause screen and I only needed to tap it and it went two or three menus down. It's almost as if turbo mode had been enabled (it's not). I was playing Driver, and after a few minutes, I braked and the sound from the screeching tires sounded like I was, again, using the turbo function. I wouldn't complain so much if it did this on a game like Track and Field lol But it's an issue I can't seem to figure out how to fix.

Am I going nuts? Is there anything in the config that I can fart around with?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sounds like it's using the wrong controller profile. I had this issue before with retroarch picking the wrong controller profile for my 8bitdo controllers. I can't remember how I fixed it put it took me a long time and I saved my configuration because it was such a pain in the arse to fix.

There's two folders as well for controller profiles, direct input and xinput. I think I had to find an updated controller profile list on github in the end.

Retroarch isn't plug and play for me with controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

Yeah I only learned through the recent MVG video that Xenia (canary build) has had a pretty significant performance boost quite recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Interesting progress alright, will be waiting for a native build though, can't be arsed setting up a Windows install on it.

• Advertisement

It's amazing how emulated pixels, an emulated bezel, and an emulated dynamic reflection on that bezel can come so close to the real thing. Obviously a dodgy phone pic compressed to high heaven on Boards doesn't do it justice, but it looks incredible in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's really amazing! Just looks like a closeup photo someone took of a 2000's era silver CRT.

What is that displaying in?

That's a Retroarch shader called the hsm mega bezel shader. The monitor shown on above is a bog standard dell 24" 1080p monitor with poor black levels... apparently on a 4k oled this shader looks beyond amazing.

Personally I don't bother with the fancy bezels, just the generic one is fine for me.

Post edited by Inviere on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dipping into PS2 emulation to play Silent Hill 2. Have PCSX2 set up and working fine. Are the higher resolution options worth using? Playing on a 1440p monitor.

They can be very impressive, though it depends on the game. Are you playing at stock ps2 resolutions? I usually bump it to 1080p and leave it at that, though that said, that's as far as my display resolution goes anyway so no point going higher.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I got it working yesterday but didn't get further than the title screen as had to head off! I'll have a play around and see how it fares anyway, it did look extremely blurry on stock resolution but also know upscaling won't magically fix low-resolution FMVs or anything like that :)

Indeed, as far as pixel art & fmv scenes etc, upscaling won't be of any use. It can be unreal for 3d games though, making PS2 games look not far off modern remasters. That said, for Silent Hill 2....have a look at the enhanced edition mod for PC...

More info here - https://www.silenthillmemories.net/sh2/enhanced_edition_en.htm

I have it set up and installed, but haven't gotten around to playing it. Apparently, it's pretty definitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Check out these bezels. 4k, scratches and reflections and it took the guy 3 or 4 years to complete.

Been testing them out for a few hours tonight and they look awesome in 4k. But, not sure my brain can accept the scratches and reflection on the actual monitor area long term. But he did a fantastic job on it. The full set is about 16GB

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/2225-mr-retrolusts-mame-4k-lights-out-realistic-bezels/

Here's one of his candy cab default bezels. It gives an idea as what you can expect with the reflections and some scratches.

And I stuck a game screenshot under it in Photoshop 😉

Link to full resolution pics:

https://i.imgur.com/BoyjNa0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lK5mTnB.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

One issue with higher resolutions with some games is you can get artifacts around 2D elements that look awful and there's no way to fix them. The art looked fine at 640x480 so the dev team left it and as a result you start to get elements of adjacent 2D assets from the asset sheets (basically all the 2D art will be in one big sheet of pixel art and the game will display certain sections of it) will bleed into the asset. Only way to over come it is to drop to native resolution.

I still don't think PS2 emulation is really quite there yet once you venture off the bigger games. I've had a lot of graphical errors in medium tier games. Low budget stuff is usually ok as they use rendering techniques from similar libraries but the more impressive mid tier stuff can have issues.

Not strictly emulation related, but Launchbox related. I grew tired of browsing different storefront libraries for my PC games, and never really knowing exactly what I owned unless opening up all of the stores and manually checking. So I decided to try Launchbox's storefront management system, using the PC Platform, I imported all of my owned games (not installing them, just importing them based on my existing purchase libraries)...and it works wonderfully well. All of my games show up, with a little badge to show which store-front they originate from too. A mere right click, and it'll launch the required storefront to either install the game, and from there, it's launchable like any other game.

^^ Games from three different storefronts, all browsable and playable without fuss.

^^ As above, just open the right click menu to install any game from the relevant storefront.

^^ Better still, you can group any additional apps like expansions, mods, conversions, ports, etc all under the main game and view them from the Play Version menu....lovely and tidy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I am trying to be rather lazy and swap my RPi3 for an RPi4, but the new Retropie image will not play nice with the Trisync monitor at all.

Anyone out there know what sort of video settings I should be using?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭barryribs

I seem to have to change the plug in settings based on each game, which is a bit of a pain. One will run perfect in Direct 3D hardware and the next one will have vertical lines on everything that isn't prerendered. Having said that, its not a big issue, considering where the emulation was until the last few years

It's still not working in everything. It was a major issue on ps1 as well so hopefully it gets fixed.

Pcsx2 has done away with the Plugin system, so he sure you're on the latest version. A huge amount of work has been done on PS2 over the last 12 months, at this rate, it's in very good hands. Last I read was PCSX2 will be automatically applying fixes/configs for many games too, which will take a lot of the faffing about away.

Stenzek of Duckstation fame has contributed a fair bit to PCSX2 of late too. There's been a recent port or PCSX2 to Xbox, and performance has seen a dramatic uplift

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭barryribs

Yea I'm on 1.6.0, I think thats the latest. Not a big issue, to be honest delighted to have them at a stable frame rate!

1.6.0 is two and a half years old at this stage, it's the latest stable release. You'll want the latest nightly release, which are far more developed.

I had no idea I could run that on my Xbox Series X!

I've been looking for a way to play Battle Gear 3, this could be it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thinking of trying some Saturn emulation - something Ive never really tried in the past. Whats the best emulator at the minute for saturn that will give decent performance.

• Advertisement

Mednafen still leads the way I believe. You'll likely want the GUI addon program for Mednafen too though. Retroarch with the Beetle Saturn core (which is based on the Mednafen code) isn't far behind and is probably the most accessible. I've recently completed Policenauts via RA/Beetle Saturn, it was perfect for me with that game.

Advertisement