Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

General Emulation Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭ Inviere

What's your setup, can you add a small/cheap bootdrive and keep the larger drive for storage in that case?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 33,847 CMod ✭✭✭✭ CiDeRmAn

Arcadepunks is a worthwhile google search away for SD Card images for all sorts of devices, including the various iterations of RPi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭ Steve X2

They have some good packs there. But I always feel like I need a tetanus injection, a course of antibiotics and some medicated eye wash after going to that site 😀

Same, it just screams infection (!)

Several times over the years I've had an interest in building a small collection of more modern arcade titles, but every single time I go to acquire them, I abandon it because of site dodgyness.

I'd love some CLEAN TX1/TX2 stuff, and maybe some of the Teknoparrot stuff...but teknoparrot itself scans as a positive, let alone the games themselves. Arcadepunks always comes up searching this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭ Relikk

MD+ is Terraonion's 1:1 MSU1 equivalent. Seamless, lossless audio looping and data streaming. Of course Krikzz had to have his own format when he released his Mega Everdrive Pro because his pride wouldn't let him implement a competitors (completely open and superior) standard. So he tacked on a couple of new commands to the already existing Mode 1 format (hacking ROMs to allow them access to Mega CD hardware) and called it "MSU-MD". It has no seamless audio looping and has seek-time delays. It's very useful for people who have a Mega CD and a lower spec flash cart, as you can burn a CD for the audio and run the patched ROM with a flash cart, but outside of that if you have a MegaSD or a supported emulator then MD+ is the better option, hands down.

• Advertisement

Clear and concise man, thanks for that. MD+ all the way so. When I looked last, the patches were in their infancy....I'll take a look soon and maybe grab some of the ones I like.

PCSX2 fixes long standing flashlight issue in Silent Hill games (effect doesn't upscale however)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭ Relikk

Niiice, looking forward to trying them out, SoR trilogy in particular

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭ ronanc1000

Hi guys

Apologies if this is the wrong thread. But I was wondering does anybody have a recommendation for a retro handheld and where to buy? Looked at the Ambernic RG351 and the Powkiddy RGB Max, hard to find an Irish supplier? If anybody has any advice. Thanks.

• Advertisement

I'm not very well up on these Chinese handhelds, but if I were to guess, I'd say any Pi CM4 powered handheld would walk all over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭ The Last Bandit

The RG351 is pretty nice handheld, no problems emulating up to PS1. Just get one on Ebay direct from Ambernic's store.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 46,939 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Retr0gamer

Uh oh.

So reports coming in from the expansion pass for Nintendo online that megadrive emulation is handled by m2 and pretty solid.

N64 however is potato emulation

N64

Switch

Looks like fog and transparency effects are borked and it's using 4 point filtering so textures look wrong.

Also apparently it also suffers from incorrect timing issues.

Pretty lazy there Nintendo, again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 46,939 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Retr0gamer

Again? It's like they've gone backwards since their emulation on Wii and wiiU was great.

Unless you mean in 3D all stars?

Aye, 3D All Stars has such potential, but it was phoned in. Lazy. I'd say the issues above will be patched, but jesus, they've the entire schematics, hardware docs, and source code for the games...any bedroom coder would do better with a two week lead time.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ dav09

I can't believe 3D All Stars was a thing, one game I regretted buying. Personally don't enjoy it much, aspect ratio and issues just make it meh, I'm really surprised they didn't recompile these new games or port them to modern cpu architecture and with graphical improvements, it would futureproof them for future consoles and surely make sense financially. They even did it with SM64 to the NDS. Emulation is great, but I don't really understand this approach Nintendo are taking lately.

Frank Cifaldi gave the best advice on Twitter. Don't wait for corporations to give you subpar ways of experiencing and archiving these games. Just do it yourself and give them money when they do it well.

Interesting video here comparing Genesis Plus GX to the Mega Drive Mister Core

• Advertisement

It might not be accurate but GBA games look sexy with scanlines and a nice CRT filter.

Quite accurate....but maybe not authentic ;) But then again, gba player on a gamecube and into a crt TV.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 33,847 CMod ✭✭✭✭ CiDeRmAn

I would imagine the best way to judge the authenticity of a GBA image is to remember that they were developing these things on a CRT, unlikely that it was a crappy LCD panel.

As a result they would have been scanlines and all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,938 ✭✭✭✭ briany

At this point, though, I think what 99.9 percent of people who emulate are interested in is playability, and 16 bit emulation has long since gotten to the point where virtually every game in the catalogues is 100 percent playable, so what it seems to have come down to now is just competition between different coders to see who can be the most technically accurate. A bit like dog confirmation showing, but with video game system emulators.

Largely agree with that. The one issue though is that FPGA hardware emulation doesn't have an underlying OS to contend with in terms of overhead. Latency will make the difference. With software emulation, there can be a huge difference in the experience between lower power devices like a Pi and something like a PC. So arguably the experience of say Megadrive emulation on a Pi, will differ to something that can comfortably handle runahead with second instance turned on.

So yes the actual coding of 16bit emulation is largely perfected....but the device itself running the code can definitely impact the experience.

From everything written by the cycle accurate emulator coders it really isn't a competition by them. For them it's about preservation. There's still a lot of edge cases that just don't work on emulators and even then there are slight inaccuracies. Of course this only leads to edge case scenarios in more obscure games but it's also worthwhile preserving obscure or even flat out bad games, as they have their own history and we don't know what will become relevant in the future.

I've had bugs in emulated games recently that weren't even that obscure that made them unplayable. Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter has really severe graphical issues in places and Enemy Zero (a pretty historically important game considering who was involved) is unplayable on emulators due to an emulation error in disc swapping.

Most high level emulators are usually do the bare minimum to get games working and then have game specific fudges to get them working. If it's a console like the PS2 or PS1 with insane libraries of games there's no way these can be all accounted for without low level emulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭ The Last Bandit

Anyone here installed retroarch on a Xbox S/X ? YouTube reviews seem good enough just wondering if folks here have tried in out

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭ Mr.Fantastic

Yeah done on it on my series X rogue squadron still struggles a tiny bit via dolphin, YouTube vids should sort you though

I've read about people being able to install in on retail mode, via whitelisting. This gives full access to thr hardware, instead of the Dev mode restrictions.

• Advertisement

Any RetroArch users here, you should spend a few mins and check this new shader preset pack out - https://forums.libretro.com/t/cyberlab-mega-bezel-death-to-pixels-shader-preset-pack/35606?u=cyber

It relies on having the HSM Mega Bezel Reflection shader set up first, so check that out here - https://forums.libretro.com/t/hsm-mega-bezel-reflection-shader-feedback-and-updates/25512

I created a second config for these, as I didn't want my main retroarch config messed with....but all I can say is the death to pixels shader pack has some of the best looking shaders I've ever seen....it's stunning looking. Without a doubt second place only to a high end crt like a PVM etc.

Advertisement