Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tax relief if working from home. Discuss.

• 15-10-2021 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

For the majority, from what i can see, working from home means;

-childcare savings.

-meal cost savings.

-commute time savings.

- commute cost (fares, fuel, vehicle wear and tear) savings.

-lets face it; not being directly supervised, so some autonomy and quality of life (walk the dog/swim/coffee on the prom..).

I do not buy the perceived extra energy usage cost weighed against above. Keeping a nice ambient can sometimes equal the cost of ramping to heat a complete structure.

I have not met one individual who has claimed that it has been financially disadvantageous to work from home.

And they now give a tax relief?

Post edited by Andrea B. on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

people were told to work from home, this is their reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

I don't know of any that required their being asked twice.

There are many of their colleagues who could not work from home as the boilers required stoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

And you forget the costs of working from home like:

Heat and power, Mine has gone up quite a bit since I starting to work from home.

How about equipment to work correctly, You can't work at the kitchen table for 8 hours a day.....

All your savings are in time or things that I could have brought from home anyway.

Also if you don't need childcare while wfh you're not doing your job right.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Plenty of people dislike working from home full-time. I was offered it 5 days a week in a previous job (in 2018 so not a whiff of this current predicament) and turned it down - was happy with 2, weirdly 3 wasn't an option - 2 or 5 only!

Anyway - I see this as the state providing something employers should be doing. Employers can and will be adapting their office environments to save money having less staff in - less floor area, less heating/cooling costs, less cleaning costs, lower water rates etc etc. They can provide for WFH staff in various ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I thought we want more people to work from home no?

• Advertisement

True, but is it really tax relief they are looking for, or actually need, weighed against existing benefits i outlined?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

If you incur a cost which is necessary to do your job, then it’s tax deductible.

It’s always been like that.

This is nothing new.

Can you read my post in full and consider the actual savings, for many, of wfh?

Leaving aside quality of life benefits?

Maybe it is those who travel to work and incur the costs (relative to those who wfh) should reap the relief?

By your argument, if i have a crash on way to work, my employer/state should cover my losses, as i was not given option of wfh, whereby i would not then have been exposed to the risk?

It’s got nothing to do with savings. Everyone’s situation is different.

costs necessary to do your job are tax deductible. As has always been the case.

True. Everyone's situation different. My argument being, from my experience, the majority are saving financially from wfh.

• Advertisement

That’s true. But it’s got nothing to do with the tax relief. Nor should it have.

some people have a 50 km commute to work, where others can walk. They still pay the same tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

"By your argument, if i have a crash on way to work, my employer/state should cover my losses, as i was not given option of wfh, whereby i would not then have been exposed to the risk?"

If you have a crash on your way to

work, and suffer personal injury, there is a social welfare payment for that coded for in public payrolls at least. Can't recall it but, yes, when journeying to or from work, directly in a single journey, you are your employer's concern.

Edit: Injury Benefit

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/dfb66f-operational-guidelines-injury-benefit/#accidents-while-travelling-to-or-from-work

As a footnote, yes, it could get quite interesting regarding financial damages as a result of a crash on the way to work if that employee was granted Injury Benefit and had also previously made a claim for WFH and been denied it. Maybe even had a WRC in progress. Could see that evolving casuisticly into a decent possibility.

Again, my argument is that wfh financially and from a quality of life perspective, suits the majority (key word), of those who are wfh.

So why give further tax incentive?

Thanks. Something i never knew wrt travelling to your permanent place of work, so a bad example from me.

I would disagree with "plenty" but agree with "some", based on your feedback, but outside of you, never having known of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I think it has already been explained - if you incur a cost to do your job, it is tax deductible. People are taxed the same regardless of the benefits their employer offers in working hours. WFH might have quality of life benefits, but since when has quality of life outside working hours been considered a taxable benefit in kind?

If you want to get down into the nitty gritty, Ireland is trying to achieve reduced carbon emissions. If people can work from home and by doing so not congest motorways or increase emissions by travelling unnecessarily, then there is a rationale for a tax incentive. However, that is not what is happening - people are just being given the same right to deduct work related expenses.

It’s not an incentive. It’s no more than anyone is entitled to, and always has been.

So let me be transparent regarding my own situation when it kiced in.

All members of my team were given option of wfh when covid kicked in.

For obvious reasons, those with young children ( and some without) availed of it.

I and some others assisted business needs by staying on site to ensure gaps were filled and worked hard in doing so. No issue here, my kids older and happy to ensure business continuity, while allowing those with personal challenges to know that.

On one aspect alone, that being fuel, I calculate that some of my colleagues saved approx €3k on fuel alone. Leave aside childcare/afterschool.

Bitter pill seeing my tax payments being now rebated to them without their savings being reconciled against claims.

No issue with anything until i hear of colleagues now discussing these tax benefits they will be claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭notAMember

what the actual… coffee on the prom? You pure layabout.

I’ve lost a room in my house that I previously let out to a lodger.

power , heat and broadband use gone up.

im effectively renting out office space to my employer for free.

Totally agreeing with your right to claim against those losses, when reconciled against gains, in your specific situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

And what about the benefits that those who have to attend the 'workplace' will have if those that don't need to attend the 'workplace' don't and work from home?

Less traffic, commute times reduced, better air quality, increased access to parking and perhaps more depending on the specific situation.

I'm WFH most of the past 18 months and while there were some savings on childcare initially (as they weren't open) that has gone now.

That said I work in a place with free parking, relatively cheap canteen and a relatively short commute at a time of the morning with lesser traffic. So yes everyone is different. Some people withe big commutes are saving a lot of time and expense and perhaps expense with meals out etc but at the same time I do think those that WFH should get some support to enable them WFH as it really is better for most people.

Our industrial estate carpark is at 50% occupancy compared to pre-covid.

The Galway city traffic is as bad as any pre-covid. Weekends included.

All out driving and spending their wfh covid savings. IMO.

Including the drive of kids to school, instead of bus, as again, it is a quality time advantage of wfh, which i would avail of if clocks were back.

Again, that would very much depends on you individual circumstances. Had to be in the office for 8 this morning, was in in 15 minutes, would normally take 25 to 30 pre covid.

Read my post. Last line. I stated that i have and the reasons why.

And i experience same for an 8 start, but not for a 9 start, which i assume Is school run related vs children taking bus, due to a parent having flexibility of wfh ( i have done during my wfh days, albeit with grumpy teenagers, but every grunt is a bond imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Guys, in the grand scheme of things, the wfh tax allowance is just a mindless political gesture. It's worth sweet f.a., but allows the TDs think they will get votes for it as we rack up a quarter of a trillion euro in debt.

For those who say they had/have to spend money to wfh, the difference to your bills will likely be insignificant. For those who spent money doing up a home office (and I say this as someone who spent 2K on furniture and décor converting a spare bedroom to an office) - that was your choice, likely small in the grand scheme of things and a once off. If you think we deserve tax breaks for wfh, then you also have to argue that we deserve tax breaks for buying cars, petrol, lunches, coffee, suits etc when we work in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

To be clear I worked every day in my place of work ' stoking the boilers' but I recognise the people that turned their homes into offices .

And i, but i argue, that for most, the financial savings outweighed or equalled the costs and any claim for compensation for cost should be reconciled against saving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There's extra heating costs, energy costs, for people at home all day long. not everyone has a large spare room to make a hi tech home office with room for a desk , monitor. If you are using zoom you might need extra lights a camera and audio equipment. Also it reduces rush hour traffic , oil and petrol use , air pollution , I think working from home is the future, it might be many people will go to an office 1 or 2 days a week

If workers get a tax credit I see no problem with that also it reduces rush hour traffic jams everyone tends to go to work between 7 am to 9 am. It may make it easier for some mothers to work from home and also take care of children

Many company's have discovered most work can be done from home

Advertisement