Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax relief if working from home. Discuss.

2»

Comments

Oh, I'm aware, but the media attitude has been that wfh would be the endgame... which is reflected by the general opinions on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

Lots of companies had WFH and dedicated staff who never went into the office long before anythign about covid was in the conversation, nothing will change for those companies. Some other have introduced on the back of covid but it will not be a huge change for the majority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

With 2 children in childcare ive made no savings wfh there and my work provided lunch and a stocked kitchen/pantry so i was well looked after in that regard. Balancing heating/electric costs with food costs vs minimal savings on commuting im definitely down due to wfh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭moycullen14

And then I would have huge savings on a commute and the office was a bit sh*t in the middle of a business park with no amenities.

Talking to a friend today who took 1hr 20 minutes to do a 20mile commute ... and that was leaving before 7am. That's the game changer for me. I've been commuting more or less constantly for the last 30 years. No more of this. Everyone's situation is different, I suppose.

I estimate my commute costs at about 4K per annum. That'll stock the fridge for a long time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

At this stage of the game, it has become obvious that there are many WFH, who are taking p*"".

Whining kids in background, muffled meetings from cars in transit (coincidentally Fridays).

Starting to hit moral of those who must attend work and pay for commuting and childcare and take annual leave when travelling.

Don't all attack back together. I said "many". Not "all".

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Xidu

Electricity and wifi bill is higher.

I thought that’s the only relief u can get is some electricity and partial wifi bill.

didn’t hear any other tax relief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

yes if you have a pc ,laptop, on all day it uses power. working from home is the future ,it reduces commute times and traffic .not everyone has a powerful pc, laptop, webcam, it costs money to build a home office with modern equipment .WFH means people can work in rural area,s instead of all working in citys or big office buildings.this could bring life back to some small towns.in winter heating bill may be higher .i dont think anyone miss,s spending an hour every day commuting to work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

They give people who spend money on their own office tax relief. So long as that money doesn't really aid your homelife ..you can deduct it.

Its not specific to a home office but many situations where you might rent an office ...

Some people BUILD home offices. It has a cost.

GIVE CHRIS A BREAK!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

As someone who lives 1 mile from the office and who has no childcare costs - I haven't saved in any of those things

And wherever I work, I still have to eat!

• Advertisement
Advertisement