Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxed to the hilt

• 15-10-2021 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I guess many of you heard how much the govt take when you spend 100e worth of fuel?

57 euro goes to the bunch of greedy politicians who are all wealthy. Oh, of course, it does not go to them directly, it goes into the countries coffers.......then gets shared out among the elite.

5e increase for unemployed and a miserly increase in minimum wage. By the time you pay the extra cost of a bag of coal it is gone on 2 bags, leaving you to pay for the rest of the tax rises out of the crappy wage you were getting to start off with.

I bet you any money the politicians will be getting more than 5e per week increase though.

This country is stuck in a time-warp. Old people dictate as to how we should live and work, and many of them never worked themselves! In the last 20 years there has been no significant increase in the amount of quality jobs that are not on minimum wage.....especially in rural areas.

No wonder the Irish left this country in their droves, there's nothing here for them.

I did put up a post about minimum wage, but as per usual, those that are not on minimum wage stated that, "that is all they're worth". What a bunch of old-fashioned, dictatorial, stuck-up wasters, those people are. They care not about people, they see them as some form of tool to be used then discarded when not wanted. They even treat their own fellow man like they are simply slaves.

Have you noticed the pattern that has been going on for centuries? Promise the working class change for the better, then when elected....tax them more.....discreetly.

There has to come a day when the final straw will break your back, it is fast approaching. How long can you keep paying out more but getting no more in your income? will you wait until you are evicted? will you wait until there is no food? Maybe you will, as most working class are sheep. They believe what they are told by politicians and the minions of that govt that are alive and kicking on forums such as these.

There is no fairness in the world, get that through your heads. Govts see unemployed as people they could do without, they see the minimum wage earners as canon fodder, they see middle class as wannabees. The only people govt see as worthy of anything.......are themselves, and that is what they do.....treat themselves.

You carry on in your minimum wage job, thinking you are thought of differently as the unemployed are. Thing is, you are not really thought of any differently, as you have what the unemployed have...but you are working for it...and you pay for your medical on top!

So the next time you put 20e of fuel in your car/bike, thank the govt for taking over half that to pay for their own upkeep and rises. Forget about the tax you pay on everything else, you agreed to that by voting for them.

This is no democracy, it is simply dictatorship in sheeps clothing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Government legislation causes rents to go up.

Guess how much of those rents people are paying are going in taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 80,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think we could do with more whistleblowers showing us where money is blown sideways.

57 euro goes to the bunch of greedy politicians who are all wealthy. Oh, of course, it does not go to them directly, it goes into the countries coffers.......then gets shared out among the elite.

5e increase for unemployed and a miserly increase in minimum wage. By the time you pay the extra cost of a bag of coal it is gone on 2 bags, leaving you to pay for the rest of the tax rises out of the crappy wage you were getting to start off with.

actually most of the 57 euro doesn’t go to the politicians even if you think they are over paid. It goes into the general pot. Considerably more of that goes to social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,985 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Which petrol stations do you go to? I have never had to hand over €57 to any politician...maybe you are doing it wrong?

Also, I consider myself to be elite, can you advise how I go about getting some of this money? Is there a form I need to fill out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,676 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't get this, do people really think we are taxed so that politicians can get richer?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,622 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yes unfortunately, it doesn't help that we still use a general pot that everything comes from. We really need to be far more clear what taxes are going where to get uninformed people like the OP to start trusting in our tax system again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm not sure i buy this 'different pots for different things' idea. what's the underlying principle that if i pay VAT buying clothes, or petrol, for example, that this money should then go in a specific direction?

other than to justify to the public why a particular scheme, which should be funded, is not already being paid for from the public purse.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,226 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

One option for some people who don't want to pay fuel tax is drive less.

but what about the ever persecuted rural people who decided to live in the middle of nowhere in a massive house that costs a fortune to heat and need 3 cars for the family?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,226 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They could vote for politicians who will upgrade the bus and rail network 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Nobody cares as much about you as you do. And very few people care about what you think. If you think your output in a job is worth more then ask for more. If you can’t get what you want then ask yourself what is it you’re offering that is so valuable to command a wage or salary commensurate with your demands. Do you really think a minimum wage job should pay €15 per hour while a Doctor in the HSE pays half of their €100k salary in taxes to support you and the unemployed?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,367 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It’s quite similar to people who want to work and live in Dublin complaining about the cost and lack of housing and the price of drink in the capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I tried that but, then I just drank more...

And fúck me if those global elitist politicians didn't manage to get shnakey taxes in on that too!🤷‍♂️

Not really, one off housing is completely unsustainable

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, they tried to get people to pay directly for water, but that did not get public approval so now water is paid out of general taxation.

Of course we do not have enough money put towards sewerage and water pollution. We do not have enough money for health, transport infrastructure, or anything else. If only people would agree to pay more tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Taxes are not high in Ireland, this is well known, and is not open to debate.

The overall tax levels is middling, maybe middling-to-high, but not high.

High is Nordic states, DE, FR, BE.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yup, our political and economic systems have been effectively de-democratised, and we ve been moving more towards a more plutocratic lead world, while wealth pays little or no taxes, the majority of the tax bill falls on labour and consumption, this approach is now running out of space to continue, time for something different.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I think the funniest thing is the Carbon tax.

Only the stupidest of the stupidest electorate could consider a tax as a solution to climate change, and how we allow it to be continually increased is even funnier.

Paying more to use something that we should be working towards eliminating doesn't eliminate or reduce its use, it just makes it cost more.

If the government wants to tackle climate change they can decree all new cars be battery, they can insist all new houses have solar. Etc etc. you know concrete measures that stop the use of carbon generation, not just use it as a revenue source.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Where are they going to find all this tax money when we're all forced to be driving electric vehicles?

• Advertisement

We need to move away from using private vehicles full stop, regardless of how it's powered.

we ll just invent new types of taxes, and increase existing ones, simple game really....

partly, but modern life is ultimately based on them, changing our mode of transport simply wont work....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭blackbox

I don't want to share a vehicle with people who are coughing and farting and listening to music I don't like.

...and I especially don't want to stand because it's busy.

Well sorry princess but it can't all be about you

I was not happy with what I was earning and was struggling to get ahead so I cut my expenses down to the bone, stopped smoking and didn't go to the pub as often and used the money I saved to enroll on a course where I studied most evenings and weekends for 3 years while working full time and travelling on buses 2 hours a day and now I make more.

Most people I see earning minimum wage are doing something also to get ahead whether it is a course or learning new skills that someone will pay them for. They just put the head down and get through it as they know in 1 or 3 years it will start to pay off.

Most people I see complaining do so usually over a pint while heading out the door every 30 minutes to smoke a cigarette and spending at least a couple of thousand on the habit each year.

The government have lots of free courses available to help people get ahead. It wasn't easy for me and I had to pick myself up multiple times over that 3 year period and keep pushing on but it was worth it. It is the main reason I'm always nice to waiting staff and always leave a tip as I see them doing the same thing and I know how hard it is to open a book when you're just tired as hell and want to watch Netflix with a takeaway and a beer.

Figure it out, what can you do to position yourself to earn more as other people don't want to listen to you complain unless you also show that you are trying to do something about it.

I would imagine they will consider a range of options, like taxing tyres, or annual license fees, or more tolls on the roads, definitely higher motor tax, congestion charges etc etc.

But its a long long way from now before there is a sizable percentage of cars electric.

I dont have as much a problem with the level of taxation as i have with the level of waste associated with spending that money, they money the government wastes is frightening.

funnily enough, the private sector wastes an astonishing amount of money also, but we dont like talking about that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Advertisement