Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA need to step up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Corporate sponsor the way to go for amatuer sport... enough we go back to agenda.....

• Registered Users Posts: 67,100 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭downcow

It sounds like a neutral statement from an organisation that doesn’t want to upset the violent republicans in its ranks. It has made no statement that I am aware of since the event was held on its premises. The have refused to answer questions from media and have put up a wall of silence at all levels.

could you imagine any other sporting body in the western world not commenting about a sectarian paramilitary display on its premises by an organisation linked to a fairly recent murder of a journalist?

The GAA has a huge sectarian problem. Looking from the outside I see and know many good GAA people who want no part in the sectarian stuff but feel best to ignore it. I believe there is a important group within it who want to work actively to route it out. And of course there are many members who enjoy the sectarian stuff. I suppose just an extreme version of rangers or Celtic on all those points.

the GAA has a dilemma. If it encourages other communities to play then the sectarian stuff will be highlighted and will be very embarrassing.

to suggest it was a few guys sneaking into a car park is how sectarianism was explained 50 years ago by most sporting bodies. It’s catch-up time for GAA if they want to be in the modern civilised world.

we have see two county teams in recent years shouting or chanting ira. If a senior cricket or rugby team was chanting Uvf we would rightly be horrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

I wouldn’t worry, some of the comments on here are people who clearly have no idea what the GAA are trying to do across communities in ireland.

Any sporting organisation in 2021 should be clearly embarrassed by this carry on and should be trying to distance themselves. Not releasing some half assed statement and bury head in sand

The GAA have moved on and lots of people are moving them on further but this type of thing sets them back. How can they go out to a school now full of kids with background all around the world and say they are welcome?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that post. I have loads of friends and acquaintances in the GAA ands they are pretty much a cross section of the non-unionist community up here. Lots of great people and a few die hard republicans. Just seems the GAA up here have yet to take on the unsavoury elements in their org.

it’s not easy. Football grasped the nettle some time ago but it was a tough journey as we had to deal with the death kicks which can feel like you are going backwards.

the GAA need to come through this. They should have dealt publicaly with the county teams ira chants and they should clearly and unambiguously condemn reps of a paramilitary killing machine using their premises. Locally to me they should stop the Wolfe tonnes holding concerts in local clubs which they know will result in ira cheering and Brit bashing, and they should try to address the naming of clubs after ira men (not an easy one I accept).

they will get a kick back as we did in football but they just need to grasp it.

Another Irish person looking for an Irish organisation to flagelate itself at the behest of Unionism that never has any issues sharing platforms with dubious entities.

From the word go, this club divorced itself from these trespassers.

End of any responsibility or need for further comment.

So hung up on "unionism". Still stuck in the 70/80

This is about a statement to all communities in Ireland that GAA are open to them. What next? a few lads land up in KKK gear. The GAA can simply come out and say if they can identify the people they will ban them from all grounds. Simple

Every thread is the same, unionist this, unionist that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Quick question for you dudley, if loyalist paramilitaries put on a show of strength in a council owned carpark in Belfast, or a leisure centre carpark in Ballymena, would he hold the relative council's responsible?

The club in question has come out and outright condemned this, and made it abundantly clear that this went on without the club's permission or prior knowledge. You've read the thread, you'll know this, but you'll ignore it, because you don't deal in facts and reality.

The club's ground and carpark is open 24/7 as a sports complex for the local community.

WTF more would you like Bellaghy club or the GAA to do here stop the nonsense FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Choochtown

• Advertisement

Thread was opened by a unionist.

There is no onus on the GAA here.

Any moderate person could see this was not in their name nor preventable.

They would also know the evidence is stark on who the GAA is 'open' to. Everyone but bigots and those foolishly supporting them.

whataboutery

Less of the cursing, it doesn't impress anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 27,251 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Quick question, are you saying that peaceful protests and demonstrations should not happen in a council car park or other public place without the council's permission?

Follow up from that, if an anti-semitic protest happens on the grounds of a rugby club without their permission, are they absolved of all responsibility for what happens on their private property?

There are differences between public (council car park) and private (GAA, rugby club) property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Jeez OP, republicanism lives in your head rent free.

As a Donegal protestant, I am glad to live across the border.

Can you explain to me what exactly is so great being a unionist in NI?

The artificial territory created by Carson/Craig etc as a result of Racism/Sectarianism probably would be a third-world country if it wasn't for the annual subsidies from Britain. British people do not care about NI and wont want to pay for you as their own economy shrinks in the coming years.

Your average British person considers NI unionists Irish. Your towns look like Soviet nightmares and the level of closed-mindedness in parts of the unionist community is startling.

What exactly have you to lose by joining a ROI apart from the Queen?

The state of the fellas in that picture, real hard men alright 😂😂

They have not condemned it. They have claimed they didn’t authorise it. Everyone can see that clearly.

in the scenario you paint, I would expect the council to come out and clearly condemn a show of strength in their car park.

So this is clearly not a condemnation and it is also completely incorrect in saying it would not take place. It clearly did take place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

In fairness, look at the date on that statement.

Insofar as the club was concerned on September 9 last, nobody had approached them about holding an event on October 2, and they had not sanctioned anything.

I'd wager that the organisers of the event became aware of the club statement in the weeks that followed, and decided "we don't care, we're going ahead with it anyway".

Since then, the club has again clarified that it did not sanction the event, and was not associated with it. It seems to have essentially been a gathering of trespassers on club grounds.

As regards why they haven't taken other action or condemned the gathering, I think you have to bear in the mind the sort of people you're dealing with here. Volunteer officials of a GAA club v self-styled "hard chaw" representatives of a Republican organisation. As a GAA club volunteer myself, I can fully understand why they wouldn't want to cross swords with people like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mikefromcork

12 Ballyscullion Road, Bellaghy. Look it up on Google Street view. Change your mind? Of course it won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

If someone walks up to Blanches front door step, drops the tweeds, and coils a steamy turd on Blanches front door step.

Does blanch accept responsibility for the turd on his doorstep, or does blanch accept the fact that some things can happen within the area of his own front doorstep without his permission or knowledge, because such is life.

In your own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,251 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If someone catches a horrible disease from that turd or slips on it and breaks their neck, well, my insurer will be paying out. So yes, I do carry that responsibility.

In my opinion, the GAA club knows who these people are, is doing nothing about it, is accepting the nod and the wink outcome, and that reflects badly on all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,842 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Some of these lads need to stop scoffing donuts. State of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

It's a fine big car park, with tarmac and properly marked-out spaces. That's the main thing I'm taking from it anyway. 😊

Would love that for my own club instead of the gritted and unmarked area we have, but would cost a fortune.

So claim off their insurance for PTS or something?

Assumptions again, that these people are known and assumptions that for all you know, their names may have been given to the police.

Assumptions, great yokes for a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

To be fair I'd expect the body concerned (council in your examples) to a/ make it clear that this wasn't organised by them b/ they don't want their property to be associated with anything like this or used in the same way in the future and c/ get the police in to make a complaint, get an official investigation and see where that leads. As far as I can see the GAA club did a/ only.

And to be fair again, I can see why in this case the club might want to turn a blind eye given that they have to live among the people in the photo and their extended families. Thats a sad reflection though, noone should be able to do this kind of a thing.

They also did (b) and no-one knows if a complaint had been made to the police or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

is thread for real? the GAA does not need to step up in this regard and do not support para's, it's quite hard to stop a bunch of eegits in berets taking photo op.

The GAA do represent one side of a community and have experienced threats and violence that no keyboard gobshite looking for attention will ever encounter, they have stuck together and supported eachother throughout the troubles but under no circumstances has the GAA aligned or supported people as sensationally claimed by the OP.

There are eegits everywhere and there are eegits in the GAA and eegit northern catholics but the GAA has no question to answer

also whatever about the provo's back in the day, but any poster accusing the GAA of supporting the minority gangs that killed Lyra Mckee is desperately seeking "likes"

... and you can bet any money that if they did c someone would be posting here demanding d and e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

the GAA do not "turn a blind eye" in fear of anyone, and to suggest so is sensationilst gobbledegook

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement