Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

This time tomorrow we’ll be nearly done the exam at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭coffeeandlaw

Can we print off the contract legislation does anyone know

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kkelly97

Does anyone have today's paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DeeMan1

My phone started ringing during the exam, anyone know if I should send them an email just to flag it so its not an issue down the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bobbyness

It happens. I doubt it was flagged, and even if it did, you didn't do anything wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

I wouldn't worry this happened to me last round. I just said out loud sorry I forgot to turn that onto silent to the camera. Never heard anything about it and I never emailed them. Passed both exams

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

Well what’s the general consensus on Equity?

do the examiners just take 5 questions even where you’ve jotted down words And points in others?

my undue influence question could have been a lot better so I tried to bump up with attempt marks on others

LAST HURDLE LADS 🙏 keep going those who have one more nearly there xoxo

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FE1student2021

Yes. 100% stressed. I accidentally answered one question wrong today in equity and ended up doing 5 other questions but ran out of time to delete the wrong 6th answer. Has has happened to anyone else? I’m also worried about contract tomorrow too

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

I thought it was an okay paper, fair in the sense certain topics came up that were due a run, but at same time in harsh that they came up in ways no one was predicting, i.e. No QT Injunction, No SP/REC problem Q. The trustees Q was very narrow focus on duty to invest - not the usual clothes shop.

Also system kicked me out a few times and didn't give me the time back - I would say i lost 10-15 mins in total. I have sat these exams online before, so I know once it kicks you out you get the time back - but for me it took me to a black screen saying "redirecting" this could take 2 mins but in one isntance in took about 5/6 and when i came back in time wasnt the same. Has this happened anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DarthBhfeidir

Don’t worry. I wrote a bollocks of a paper last March and still passed.

Focus on the core principles which inevitably turn up in every sitting like offer, acceptance, consideration, estoppel, capacity and intention to contract, contractual terms, misrepresentation and mistake, duress and undue influence, discharge and frustration, remedies and consumer protection.

We were told to expect illegal contracts last time as it hasn’t had a run in a while. It didn’t come up.

I did equity this morning. What did everyone think? I thought it was nice, very general questions on injunctions, undue influence and specific performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭SamWFE1

I thought it was a reasonable enough paper. Answered the problem Q on charitable trusts, the Strong v Bird essay, the SP and personal services, the note question and the mandatory interlocutory injunction one. Felt like my Strong v Bird question was fairly short as there are only 6 cases as far as I'm aware. I mentioned Strong v Bird, Re Stewart, Re Wilson and Re Freeland for the first part and Re James and Re Gonin for the second part. I said that the rule might not apply because there might not have been a continuing intention up until death as he left the property for the three of them equally, and said that it would depend on when he made the will, whether it was before he told Patrick he would transfer the lease (where the rule would apply), or whether it was after (where it wouldn't as he wouldn't have had the continuing intention). Would be interested to see if anyone else came to the same conclusion?

On the charitable trusts question, I said the first bequest was for advancement of education, and that post-grads likely wouldn't be a wide enough class to confer a public benefit. The second bequest I said might fail as it was for changing the law (National Anti Vivisection Society, McGovern), but that it might be saved by S.2 if it is made to a charity which where a political purpose is directly related to their charitable status. The final one I said would probably fail as it was contingent on the relationship with the donor, and that S.3 of the 2009 Act prevents this, but there has been no cases on poor relations and the English jurisprudence might be persuasive (AG v Charity Commission). On the last one I didn't give any concrete advice and said it remains to be seen whether such gifts will be deemed charitable.

What did everyone else think? Looking for reassurances more than anything haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lightup1

EU

Whats everyone covering for EU? Finding it so difficult to remember and feeling very burnt out at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

Had to edit this as I misread your last few lines haha the post exam panic on here is never good if you think you've gone wrong!

But on your answers, I had similar stuff for the Charitable purpose questions! Didn't include any UK case law under the last point but I did mention the first bequest could also be saved in the beneficial to the community part if you consider it the advancement of culture etc.

I also realized I said the categories were under s.2 not s.3 by mistake, but hoping they'll not penalise me there just a mix up!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dancing Obsession

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LawLearnin

Think I pretty much did this for these ones, just had in a line too about how 'family' might be construed. Thought it was an ok paper but not great, some of the questions seemed to be fairly narrowly focused. I defo did a terrible job on the advancement half-question, only gave the bare bones of what it's about and the problems with it but zero cases. Hoping against hope I can pick up enough points elsewhere to get through overall! 😬

Thanks so much to everyone for sharing info on the exams and their experiences with them in general here. I don't personally know anyone doing the FE1s at the mo and have found it really helpful to see that other people are slogging away at these too. Best of luck to all sitting tomorrow's paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭SamWFE1

Yeah I know what you mean by narrowly focused. I wanted to do the undue influence question which I thought I knew fairly well but the fact that it was framed as advising them on their policy put me off. Was thinking that my only advice to them would be to not go through with the transaction unless you have written confirmation from their solicitor???? Haha. Would have much preferred a problem question there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fe1taker1998

Would anybody have a corrected eu script they wouldnt mind sharing to get an idea? Have constitutional, contract and property to swap

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭catonafence

Institutions, FR, GP, FMOG, workers , DE and MSL, ART 101,102, JR. Supremacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 HD25

That problem question was defo Strong v Bird i.e., imperfect gift made during lifetime etc. is enough to contravene the beneficiaries of the will - legal and beneficial interest with the donor etc. That’s not to say all of what you wrote isn’t relevant.

Also the trustees question wasn’t that narrow in scope, although he talked about investments, the standard of care meant you could bring in the other duties but in the scope of investments e.g. , duty to distribute/not to profit etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Creg12

agree, EQ are hard to get across in 30 odd mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 T2020

I'm feeling the same as you. Finding it so hard to concentrate or remember anything.

So far I've covered fmog, fmow & citizenship, DE and MSL, judicial review, state aid, art 102 & have yet to cover institutions. What are u covering?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fe1taker1998

Much the same minus state aid and Art 102. Big chance but might have a skim over tomorrow in the worst case scenario I can bullet point. Also doing Principles

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭AA21

What are people expecting for contract tomorrow? What have your colleges said to be the ‘hot topics’

Law school does it by what you should have ‘excellent knowledge’ of, ‘detailed knowledge of’ and so on to the less important topics.

Excellent knowledge he said:

• agreement
    • consideration
    • consumer protection
    • remedies
    • discharge
    • exemption clauses
    • terms

Detailed knowledge:

• misrepresentation
    • mistake
    • promissory estoppel
    • formal reqs
    • capacity
    • illegal contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭StabiloLaw

Every time I see an actual list of what I should know by tomorrow morning, I actually die a little inside.

Oh same…

Going to have very basic knowledge for a few of my topics anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fe1ki5

If March's Contract paper is anything to go by (7 PQs) I passed with very basic knowledge on the topics as opposed to a thorough knowledge.

I would have been fine if an essay came up for privity or capacity but I think I'd have struggled to write an essay on a particular topic as my knowledge wasn't there. But like I said, I passed - it can be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭vkfe1

March 2022 for Contract i'd say. I have such a mental block with it but look i might surprise myself???

Best of luck guys - i hope the prosecco is chilling in the fridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fe1ki5

Yeah I obvious concentrated on duty to invest, the legislation and trust instruments and standard of care etc but touched on duty of appointment and she should familiarise herself with the trust, duty to keep accounts and safeguard assets, duty not to delegate but can seek help from advisor if the prudent man of business would do so to help with her investments and wasn't entirely sure if it was appropriate to do so this is, so reassuring to hear thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Lightup1

I'm the same. Haven't even looked at state aid or 102 and that. May just glance over it, won't be studying it properly at this point I don't think

Advertisement