Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭coffeeandlaw

• Registered Users Posts: 22 rebecca1177

EQUITY

Would anyone have any condensed notes on SP and rectification specifically?

Would hugely appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭StabiloLaw

Send me a DM with your email address and I'll send you mine from last sitting!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Costello95

Equity- for resulting trusts is there anything specific to focus on or should I learn all of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fe1ki5

I'm focusing on

Joint bank accounts

Presumption of advancement

Surplus funds

And hoping that'll be adequate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Can anyone please explain Jackie greene case in contractual terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fe-hun

Constitution

Does anyone approve this time schedule based on experience?

30 min to read questions at start, make notes and mind dump. (since it's harder to spot issues, and to choose which ones to benefit from most).

35 min per question (by that stage the notes are basically in the box and I can flesh out faster since I already read through it?)

Usually I'd give myself 10 min at the start of an exam only for reading. But Con is so wordy and nuanced.. I'd hate if I read something in a rush only to realise I read it wrong, didn't know what was asked then frantically find/waste time reading another Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

I'm sure everybody will have their own plan on how to allocate the time. From memory, here's how I approached Constitutional in March.

• A quick glance over the full paper, 5 mins max to see are any questions blatantly obvious what hes asking -essays & notes will obvs be easier
    • Case note question; got stuck into it straight away as cases I prepared came up. 30/35 mins, marks on board early
    • Next did an essay question (I think it was SOP and delegation) again 30/35 mins and more marks on board
    • I then studied the problem Qs in more detail and decided which to tackle for my last 3 questions

So my approach was to get as much marks on the board before I tackled the problem Q's because as people above have alluded to, they are never clear in Constitutional and require a bit of deciphering!

For a bit of pre-exam comfort, I will echo previous comments on Carolan, he is deffo a fair marker! I passed comfortably and genuinely thought I was going to be High 40's or borderline 50 because on reflection I forgot case names or didn't pick up on every detail- but it is clear he awards marks for good logical arguments and not simply the 'right or preferable' answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lawstruggles20

Think I will be doing similar tomorrow, taking longer to read the paper (normally would give 5 or 10, will probably do 20 to do a mind dump too because I will definitely not retain all of the case names for 3.5 hours). Then getting the more straightforward questions done to have marks on the board as lawgrad49 said and time left after that is divided somewhat equally between the remaining questions.

Here's hoping for a sound enough paper and a pass for all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

1. Case Notes (If anyone wants to compare lists and see if we can help each other out by filling in the blanks for the other, message me!!!)
    2. Constitutional Interpretation
    3. Non-Delegation
    4. Principles of Constitutional Litigation & Declarations of Invalidity
      1. Locus Standi - Standing of Companies;
      2. Constitutional Imperative;
      3. Justiciability and Deference.
    1. Family
      1. Significance of/Changes brought by Children's Rights Ref;
      2. Meaning of the Family under Art 41.
      1. AG & President
      2. Property Rights & RTEAL
      3. FOE & FOA/FOA
      4. TIDCOL
      5. Personal Rights
        1. Bodily Integrity & Protection of the Person;
        2. Right to Refuse Medical Treatment.
      6. Right to Liberty
        1. Art 40 - Habeas Corpus
      7. Equality
      8. Fair Procedures
      9. Unenumerated Rights
      10. Intl Relations

Potentially going to try to squeeze in: Zalewski / Mootness / Entitlement to Damages / Election + Ref Law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

Constitutional Law - Case Note Q

Who wants to swap case note lists?

I'll send you the case notes that you're missing, and you send me the case notes that I'm missing.

It's such a good question to do, but even with around 30 case notes, I'm deathly afraid of not having two that come up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fe1lawkid

Constitutional Q

How much detail is needed for the case notes?

Do we need names of Acts that were argued in the case etc... Or would the general argument, conclusion and significance of the case be enough?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 13545327

What do people use for rough work during the online exams. Do they use paper and pen or does better examinations provide an area for that work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mc96

You aren't allowed to use paper and pen but there's a "note pad" that you can use for rough work or you can write in the answer box and just delete the rough work if you don' want to keep it there.

I used the notepad one exam and my notes disappeared. I read somewhere someone had the same experience. Just an FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mc96

As in the notes in the notepad weren't included with your script? They aren't supposed to be viewable by the examiner so anything in the notepad will delete at the end as far as I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TaraTierney4567

Contract:

Anyone have any thoughts on whether the below will be enough for contract, I haven’t gone through many past papers so I’m a bit stuck:

• offer and acceptance
    • consideration
    • estoppel
    • terms (excluding interpretation)
    • exemption clauses
    • misrepresentation
    • mistake
    • discharge
    • remedies
    • consumer contracts

Any insights would be appreciated!

Sorry! To clarify I meant everything I had dumped down in the little notepad of cases etc before answering while reading. Then I went back to it later in the exam and was gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

I think its easier to write everything in the text box. It also allows the examiner to see your train of thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BigSprogs

Yeah that's what I do. I make out kinda plans with all my cases and train of thought.. helped me in the company exam where I didn't get to finish my last question but the examiner could see I had cases laid out etc

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

Quick Q on Constitutional. Should you write out the provision? For example if it was a question on Religion would you type out Art 44?

Anyone else pull an all nighter prepping for cons... Zzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭FE1Eire

If there is anyone out there that can say they are confident going into Constitutional today, I am beyond jealous! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fe1ki5

EQUITY

does anyone have tips/tricks to get their exam over the line? Noting that the pass rate is so low, what is it she's looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Fe1 2020

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the Constitutional marker is fair, or what his pass rate is? Sitting Constitutional this morning and very nervous.

Thanks a mill guys

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭AA21

Me too it will be a miracle if I pass, there’s just way too much that can be asked that it’s hard to know anything in detail

... DPP v Doherty [2019]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Good luck this morning!!! Hopefully we’ll get a good one!!!

Advertisement