Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would Ireland look like if we didn't join the EU?

• 11-10-2021 8:02pm

I'm picturing scenes from "Angela's Ashes";

People complain about cultural diversification and yes, when it's improperly managed (or ill-resourced), ees probleem.

But adapting to this is the basis for societal evolution (of course no one claimed this was easy nor straight forward).

Opening our doors to alternate cultures has been the best thing this country has done since the dark ages (the remnants of which I can recall being a kid), falling off my bike about 10% of the time I'd cycle down to my mates house, lose half a pound of flesh on the pot-holed, pebble stoned, non-tarmac road.

Then we joined the EU, had the infrastructure boom.

I recall a proper road was laid between my folks house and the small adjacent urban center.

It was so smooth, I'd never experienced anything like it before in my life, it felt divine - like a magic carpet ride, compared to the muck track it replaced.

We've gone from strength to strength ever since, the country we live in now.... millennials just don't know how it was for younger generations (and I still classify myself as a young generator, being a 90's kid).

Technology and the internet has clearly paved the way for globalization, it's like humanities nervous system in a way, a nervous system to the super organism.

Has the fundamental basis of historical Irish culture and thought process actually changed though, in spite of our diversification?

If we withdrew from the EU and had a non-native exodus, would it be back to square one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I'd take the sh1t road surface in return for turfing out the EU rules. It is a high commitment club to be in, they regulate everything from a minimum price of petrol to what kind of food we are allowed to eat and what kind of car we are allowed to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ireland has one of the higher petrol prices in Europe and most of it is made up of domestic taxes (VAT/Duty etc). How is that the big bad EU's fault? I'm glad for high EU food standards - god knows what shiite we'd be eating otherwise - food standards in the US are grim compared to here. What kind of car are you denied driving by the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think that is a fairly superficial and erroneous view of what the EU does. Yes there are some regulations but your narrative on it sounds very brexitesque high in generalities and low on facts. The benefits of Ireland in the EU far outweigh some small loss of control when viewed in the bigger picture. You don't have to have a degree in Economics to realise this surely?

--

In answer to the OP's question if Ireland did not join the EU first thing I thought about was no or much less immigrants from Eastern Europe in recent years - many of whom did the jobs Irish people would not .

And how Ireland would have been much less likely to have had a Celtic Tiger and brought out of the doldrums in the 80's - Ireland has been a net recipient for much of its time in the EC/EU.

Then of course there is the practical stuff ranging from how the Irish Agricultural sector has benefited from Ireland being in the EU, right down to the nitty gritty of data protection law and the likes in a more general sense.

I would argue that the EU has given Ireland a much bigger voice on the international stage than it otherwise would of had. And the Economic and Social benefits have been multiple. A much larger market and a chance to have a voice heard in European Affairs.

If Ireland was not in the EU all that would have been lost.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

Without the EU we would of never had a Celtic Tiger. Some might complain about the Celtic Tiger but just look at what came before it.

Even today Ireland is massively improved compared to what it was pre-Tiger. None of that would be possible without the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

The EU and euro are great and all but further integration would not be in Irelands interest IMO. It would be fiscal integration, ie the EU would raise taxes directly just like the US Federal government. We in Ireland would be a massive net contributor to that and would be on the hook for Greek, Spanish and Italian public debt.

This far and no further i say.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,983 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

Anyone born in the 60s has some idea of what Ireland might look like if not in the EU. Having said that, in my early teen years Minister Justin Keating was looking at negotiating a major National interest in Norway’s oil company Statoil. There’s not much poverty in Norway, and in theory we could have had a slice of that.

Every bully post gets reported. If personal bullying is the best way you can feel good about yourself, then your self-loathing is your own loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Without freedom of movement, young families would be able to afford their own homes because immigration is the biggest driving force behind our housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Probably much like Bulgaria outside of Sunny Beach looks like even now. Ireland has seen dramatic and welcome economic, social and societal change as part of the EU.

The reactionary component of Catholic conservatism and opposition to change was strong and I often wonder what would have happened to our EEC - EC- EU membership path if social media and right wing reactionary movements were able to avail of those tools in the '70s,80's and 90's or even pre Maastricht and Lisbon.

It was hard enough to deal with information pre the last 2 EU referenda. Imagine what the situation would have been like facing those votes in the full on Social Media glare?

I'd think the likes of Cambridge Analytica and other data mining and influence operations would have had a field day!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Ireland has gotten a net of 40 billion from the EU which went from turning the country from being in a bad state to being much better. If you ask your parents what Ireland was like in the 70s before the EU started giving Ireland billions to improve itself, you would understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The notion that we need the EU to be successful is a complete fallacy. Ireland was poor in the 60's due to our own internal insular economic policy. Maidens at the crossroads and all that stuff.

The wealth we have would have happened anyway in a globalised world. It suits small countries.

The EU needs serious reform and to be a trading bloc. Nothing more than that.

The EU has sufficient warning with Brexit and issues in other countries like Poland and Hungary atm not to further infringe on national sovereignty.

And lets not even begin with the economic prison for the "PIIGS" countries that is the Euro currency. We have already seen what happens when you have a currency involving countries of entirely different outlooks in 2008. Again sufficient warning has been given.

There is an indoctrination in Ireland from the political class regarding the EU which verges on fanatical and it's not healthy particularly in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

How can you say (with a probable straight face) investment into Ireland from the EU made no difference?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Freedom of movement means those young families can go off and buy a house in a different country, maybe a warmer, sunnier one 😁

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Exactly what role do you envision Ireland would have played in this globalised world outside of the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Shows how little understanding you have of the practicalities of being a young family.

Most of that is right but there are no jobs that Irish people don't do. Unless pay has gotten so low that they didn't bother. The EU is largely good, but it needs to be a much more cohesive force on defense and less involved on immigration, leaving that to the nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Not to mention the Market and contacts the EU opened up to Ireland. A small country. When you look at the difficulty the British are having negotiating other trade deals to compensate for no EU it really stands out. And the UK is a much larger country.

It does not bear thinking about how a small country like Ireland would fare on the outskirts of Europe geographically and outside the EU. It’s negotiating power would have been severely weakened and basically would only have the British to prop Ireland up.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

If we hadn't joined the EU, we would look like a combination of Roscommon, Jersey and Lithuania. No offense to the people from any of those places, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Except, of course, without EU membership (or similar) Ireland would be a much poorer country, so that might militate against young families affording their own homes.

Ireland was poor in the 60s due to our insular economic policy. Joining the EU and participating in the single market is the major part of the ways in which we reversed and then overcame the insularity of our economic policy. The notion of Ireland having customs and regulatory barriers with its immediate neighbours and yet not having an insular economic policy is a contradictory one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭tinytobe

EU membership also caused a high level of security for foreign investors in the country. It basically paved the way for various IT companies from the US coming into Ireland.

Yeah. To be honest, I'm a little puzzled at the notion of Ireland pursuing an open, progressive, pro-trading, non-insular economic strategy and yet eschewing EU/SM membership, which here in the real world is the central plank of that strategy. I'm looking around for an example of another country in Europe doing this, but I'm not seeing one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The neighbours ended free movement. Take a wild guess at what happened to house prices. You need to find different scapegoats.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Interesting the way many people just simply ignore countries like Norway or Switzerland, or make up BS excuses why they're successful outside the EU. Basically why they are special unique cases, and don't warrant consideration.

The reality is that, it's perfectly possible to be successful both inside AND outside the European Union. There are many examples - just as there are many examples of countries who are doing rubbish inside the EU.

The notion that Ireland NEEDS the European Union in order to be successful and prosperous, is false and displays a certain degree of ignorance (deliberate or otherwise) on the part of those who push this narrative.

It also displays a distinct lack of self confidence within many of our citizens, with regard to our ability to make our own decisions as a nation and back ourselves to be successful in the world. I've been to countries like Norway and Switzerland, and they really don't seem to suffer from this paralyzing lack of courage. That's not to say they always make the correct decisions, of course, but they do seem to back themselves to succeed.

I think many of our citizens love the EU, more because of a fear of missing out (FOMO), rather than any great ideological stance. Like a comfort blanket, for someone who is afraid of the dark. But the EU does not guarantee any nation safety security or prosperity - it's all just a bit of an illusion.

It really depends who is making the decisions at the top table, and how intelligent those decisions are. Badly thought out ideas will (and have) messed up many nations. It doesn't matter whether that's inside or outside the European Union.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

We are not switzerland or norway. Without the EU we would still be a backwards hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We'd have been in a bad way without access to the common market which is completely different to the shitshow that is the EU

Yes; really.

You think it's trivial to up sticks to a "warmer, sunnier" country with young children? There's a myriad of considerations like employment, local language ability, education, relationships with grandparents, aunts / uncles, cousins. Not to mention that most young families are pretty happy here in Ireland, despite grappling with rapidly rising housing costs.

Yes, but even countries like Norway and Switzerland that aren't members of the EU nevertheless acheive their success through their close relationship with the EU - they "need the EU to be successful", in Kermit's words. Without the EU there is no Single Market, and without the Single Market countries like Norway and Switzerland are not pursuing the policies which they have in fact pursued with such success.

Like I said, I'm struggling to image a successful, non-insular economic policy for Ireland or any European country which doesn't involve either membership of, or a very close connection with, the EU. And nobody who claims that such a thing is possible is pointing to any real-world examples, or even outlining a hypothetical way in which it might be done.

Lots of people wish to do it, it's not such an amazing thought!

Anyway, let's not go down the usual route of blaming immigrants for our housing crisis eh?

• Advertisement

You can point to data to quantify "lots"? Or are you talking through your hole about a life, of which you have at best, the most superficial understanding?

Let's also not go down the well trodden path of you bleating about racism to shut down discussions, eh?

Advertisement