Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well you are attributing things to me which I never said. I did say I liked Mannion and would love to see him get a shot but it's never happened. I never stated he'd be awesome though. I did say Burrow would be. I did say Mariota and Winston were not worthy of early picks in the draft. I did call Derek Carr the best QB in his draft class too. I did say Stafford was a much better option than Sam Bradford. I said Matt Ryan would make it going back even further.

What I look for before anything else is how they've reacted under pressure because if a guy keeps making mistakes under pressure he's never going to make it. The very few times in college that Lawrence faced pressure he didn't do so well. That's why I say he's not a generational talent.

It would have been nice I suppose if you'd ask me to explain it instead of going off on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,826 ✭✭✭nerd69

What do the pats have to do with this?

Also you've just told.so.o e there full of crap and in your next post asked someone else to explain instead of going off on one

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The pats have literally zero to do with that post but sure why would that matter .

Hands up, I'm in the "woah, what's that 'you hate the Pats anyway' line about?" camp...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I see Jon Gruden is a racist now.

Still, good news for urban Meyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭Blut2

Foxtrol did a very good job of explaining his logical, fact based position in quite a lot of detail. To accuse him of being "pure crap, full of hate driven agendas" just because you don't like it is pretty childish eagle eye. If you disagree with his points maybe write a detailed response explaining why, instead of throwing a tantrum?

I think at this stage pretty much everyone can see the Tebow signing was an unmitigated disaster. And everything else about Meyer to date isn't far off. I'd be surprised if he lasts beyond March 2022, but if he does its just going to delay the Jags rebuild.

Poor Trevor Lawrence - to go from never having lost a game in high school and college to landing in the mess that the Jags are must be some adjustment.

A. It's the comparison of the rubbish he posts when he dislikes something immensely. He's constantly posting rubbish about the Patriots and he's doing the very same thing as regards Meyer and Tebow.

B. I didn't ask him to explain anything. I suggested he should have asked a question instead of going off on one.

If you read the post you'll note that I don't rate Meyer personally.

If you read what he said, it's full of agenda drive hate for Tebow and Meyer.

A. Tebow did nothing wrong.

B. He got cut so it didn't hurt anybody.

That's horrific, maybe get some lessons in how to write a sentence.

Agenda driven, not agenda drive. Maybe get some lessons in how to write a sentence.

But please don't change your style. The "but...but...you hate the Pats anyway" was hilarious. That's why a few posters are pointing and laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭Blut2

You're just saying that because you're also a hate driven, agenda having, Pats hater. They're everywhere these days apparently.

Like the nfl equivalent of everyone I disagree with is a nazi

They can do what they want, as I said I was just comparing how it's the same thing when he dislikes or hates somebody or something.

He's a known Pat's hater. Regularly trying to troll in the Patriots thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Definitely hilarious but also somewhat concerning and sad how warped and paranoid people can get to believe everyone has an agenda against them or their team. I obviously knew the tinfoil hat 'Patriot's hater' was a funny little narrative that was swirling around in that poster's and a few other's heads (as they voiced it often) but I always tried to believe that they discussed in good faith - that was until this last week when the mask slipped twice and this poster openly admitted to the opposite.

Apologies to the board for not realizing this sooner and letting some threads descend into messes. It should have been something I did a long time ago but putting that poster on ignore now and this won't be an issue in the future.

I don't think everyone has an agenda, just you, when you hate somebody you can't hide it. That is clear every time you post about the Patriots, you say something good sometimes but that's just to try and make it look somewhat balanced. It doesn't matter who posts in our thread you always disagree with them.

Same thing happened here with Tebow and Meyer.

I'm no fan of Meyer but I'm prepared to be objective. Unfortunately you are incapable of that if you dislike somebody.

So he says some good things but your dismissing them as a facade because he also says bad things about a team. Imagine not agreeing with everything a team does

Just go in and read a few pages randomly over the last two years in the Patriots thread and you'll get an idea of what I'm trying to explain. I only used it as a comparison to what he was saying about Meyer and Tebow.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

He's in a spot of bother now.

"Gruden called the league’s commissioner, Roger Goodell, a “****” and a “clueless anti football pussy” and said that Goodell should not have pressured Jeff Fisher, then the coach of the Rams, to draft “queers,” a reference to Michael Sam, a gay player chosen by the team in 2014."

The New York Times on Twitter: "Breaking News: The NFL coach Jon Gruden used misogynistic and homophobic language for years, a review of his emails shows. He denounced the emergence of women referees, the drafting of a gay player and the tolerance of protests during the national anthem. https://t.co/F3QpqV9yZS" / Twitter

And he’s resigning, life comes at you fast.

https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1447729071673257989?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Oof. In fairness, who hasn't looked at Goodell and thought, what a ****. The biggest ****in football.

Willing to bet calling that **** a **** is what really landed him in the ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,215 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Homophobic. Racist. Misogynistic.

That'll be the last we see of Jon Gruden.

Adam Scheffter going in hard on him at half time in MNF. Feel for Carl Nassib the last few days, it's no wonder that there's athletes afraid to come out when you've cavemen like Gruden in charge.

Gruden has always been a little crass but how this all happens is beyond me.

I've so many issues with this. Firstly this is private emails when he wasn't even an NFL employee. Secondly there's been many who have come out and backed him after the initial emails came out. Thirdly the majority of NFL fans agree with his thoughts on Goodell.

Sad, sad times when this crap happens. No doubt in my mind that they paint an untrue picture of what Jon Gruden is really like. He's just a fun guy whose a but crass. No chance he's like this in real life, too many came out and backed him for that to be the case

Sorry, what?! The majority of NFL fans think that Goodell is a "f*ggot"? Well then, they are equally awful people. As for those who backed him, the majority would have done so without knowing the full extent of the situation. I expect plenty will row back on that now.

It doesn't matter if the emails were private or not, he's the figurehead for a sports organisation in a league that as recently as a few months ago announced its support for the LGBTQ+ community. There is no way they can allow this sort of thing to fly, the emails were over a 7 year period and as recently as 2018 btw.

I'll give Gruden some credit, he managed to be very inclusive by targeting gay people, women, black people and protesters. No stone left unturned, good riddance.

I agree with you on one thing - it's sad, sad times. Sad, sad times, when there are still bigots in positions of power.

It's sad, sad times when how a person acts in his life isn't taken into account as the most important thing. Gruden has always been well regarded by everybody. I heard Mike Tirico and Tim Brown talk about him and I believe them.

When I was growing up many, many years ago my parents used to have a saying which was 'sticks and stones might break my bones but names will never hurt me.'

Nowadays we live in a world of pussies who get upset so easily.

I also heard them talk about him and you can be one thing to some people and another to many others. Gruden's actions are indefensible.

He resigned and it was accepted by Mark Davis, he hasn't been sacked here. Clearly knew his position was untenable for what he's done.

Can you name those who have come out and said he acted in a homophobic, misogynistic or racist way in real life?

Why the attempted separation? Is the written word between friends/colleagues not real life?

Again, this does not happen so quickly for an innocent man so I'm not sure why you're trying to defend him here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,215 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It's irrelevant. He is responsible for what he sends in an email. Just as responsible as he would be if the words in the email came out of his mouth. There's no difference at all.

You can't brush it off like it's nothing just because we have no evidence of him being homophobic, misogynistic or racist to people IRL. Perhaps after sleeping on it you'll realise how ridiculous that is.

• Advertisement

I asked you to name anybody who came out and said they were treated that way by Jon Gruden. Have you any names?

Advertisement