Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭cosatron

i say line up is a nod to the LA rap scene, straight outta compton Roger Goddell style.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Yeah, once they stick with the greatest hits then it'll be great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Blut2

Thats an incredible line-up for an LA superbowl. Should be very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’d say the upcoming super bowl in LA will be the best one ever in both the history of the super bowl and of the many ones held in the LA/California region of which there have been a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Lombardi and Florio going on the record as saying the Meyer's job is in jeopardy. Given Baalke's history with leaks, this info could be coming direct from the team so it doesn't look good for Urban (who frankly has no one to blame but himself).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This isn't college football. It'd be a huge thing if Meyer got fired over something so minor.

He's already apologised and it's been accepted by all parties.

If he does get sacked over this then it's the owner using an angle to get him out of a contract because he's unhappy with the football.

Doesn't sound like it is an 'accepted' and move on issue.

The Baalke element is hilarious, he'll throw anyone under the bus if it gets him up one more rung on the ladder or one day extra job security.

Really don't think it is minor at all when it comes to the grand scheme of things, when you add it to all the other messes Urban has made as coach so far on a 0-4 team you can quickly lose the team. Urban is clearly one of the many hypocrite coaches out there who doesn't practice what he preaches.

It would be incredible if Khan uses this as an excuse to get out of the contract, after Urban's history of making excuses to get out of contracts himself.

I would say it's starting to become an accumulation of "poor judgment" decisions by Urban.

Sending the team home from a game they lost but staying behind so you can party on your old college stomping grounds with young women who aren't your wife - it's not exactly a good look for a head coach.

Wouldn't put it past him to have organised all this so he can get the sack, get a payout, and roll into USC as head coach and be worshipped for it.

When you see the things NFL players get up to and I'm not talking about law breaking stuff then you realise how minor this is. I realise he's a head coach but he broke no laws and it's nothing other than a guy having a few beers too many and acting like he had a few beers too many. He didn't abuse anybody, he didn't break any laws. I don't drink anymore myself but I got up to loads of mischief when I did. It's nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

Pretty sure his contract has a moral clause so could well get nothing if he gets fired. I agree that he won't get fired for this but he may be the official reason. It does show a lack of judgement since he has to figure how quick he will be under fire. No idea how big a deal it is to not travel with the team.

2-2 and I am pretty sure no one cares about this but 0-4 it becomes a deal. Let us not pretend that any owner has any serious principles outside of winning/money.

• Advertisement

Well, owners of football teams have to worry about PR, marketing, sponsorships etc. So even if they don't care about the moral side of things, they have to care about the impact it has on how the franchise is perceived. Especially in today's "cancel culture" world.

So it is a big deal if the head coach - already under fire for hiring his friend who was only unemployed because of some pretty serious allegations of racism and bullying - also decided to go partying after a loss and letting young women who aren't his wife dance on his lap while groping them.

There's also the impression this gives the players, and the reports are that they found Meyer's story laughable. That suggests a lack of respect, and the fact that Khan came out and said he lost the trust and respect of the franchise suggests it is a pretty big deal.

Of course it's all a lot easier to overlook if he didn't have a well documented history of being a very immoral person, so Jacksonville can't really be surprised either.

Do you think the owner would have come out and said what he said if the Jags were 4-0?

What's your point? I can't think of any private working environment, especially in the US, where a person's job performance isn't taken into account when dealing with a potential disciplinary issue - large or small.

Not sure you can have a worse start than he has had on any front - when things keep adding up then eventually a straw can break the camel's back.

Never heard of Art Meirov before and won't be looking to read any of his stuff again either.

Signing Tebow, drafting a gifted running back and having a competition for the starting job at QB aren't negatives.

How did he trade away a pick before he even got there?

And how is the owner making a statement attributed as something he did?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

He's referring to trading away CJ Henderson last week. It does seem premature to give up on a top 10 pick so soon.

Just on another thing. I remember Harbaugh had a big problem with the Bengals taking a field goal to avoid scoring zero points in a game last season.

So last Sunday he decides his team should run instead of taking knees to keep their run of 100+ yards rushing games alive. What a hypocrite.

Yeah it was a bit of a surprise but he hasn't looked great this season. Still it was pretty early to give up on a guy whose only back after a bad injury.

Just to clarify, I am not a fan of Meyer. I don't like the guy at all. I don't think he'll be successful in the NFL either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Harbaugh is a whiny **** in general, wouldn't have much time for him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Christy42

In this case it was Fangio was whiny. People were out there to play football. No idea why coaches complain about this mundane stuff. Harbaugh as well from the Bengals game last season.

I'm sure he and his nearly half a million followers will be devastated by that review.

Those are all clear negatives to me:

• Signing Tebow started a complete media circus and the result was Tebow making a fool of himself in a preseason game and not even making it to final cuts. It showed poor judgement and stunk of just helping out a mate - things a coach can get away with when they have capital with the team not during their first camp.
    • Leaving aside how gifted the RB is and whether RBs are worth a first round pick - Jags had many other areas of far, far greater need than another RB. The opportunity cost is huge.
    • All QBs talk about how important preseason snaps are to getting ready, especially for rookies. Taking away rookie snaps is a terrible idea unless you highly value the other option in the competition - which the Jags clearly didn't to then trade him away for a 6th round pick. If you have to use some idiotic competition or 'earn it' approach to get your 1st overall pick to be motivated in camp then you've made a terrible pick in the first place.

I called Urban to be a train crash from day 1, I am just surprised how quickly it has gone completely off the rails.

• Advertisement

That’s how I look at it. Yes the video from the weekend wasn’t great but it’s the small little things that are mounting up. I mean that comment about there being a QB competition when you’ve got a potentially generational talent sitting there. Just no.

Id say Bobby Petrino is sitting somewhere laughing that urban Mayer may become the worst example of a college coach making a mess of their NFL tenure.

Are Tebow and Meyer mates? I wasn't aware of that. Obviously Tebow was a legend with the Gators who a lot of Jags fans are probably fans of too.

Maybe it was about bringing in Tebow's mentality to the locker room and his aura for the fans to get interested. Ever think of that?

Which specific areas of need are you referring to? Personally I considered it a great move from a public relations perspective.

A number of teams took QB's early in the draft and only Wilson was guaranteed the starting job. So you are not only castigating Meyer here but also Shanahan, Nagy and Belichick.

The generational talent went at no.1 the year before, his name is Joe Burrow.

What's Joe Burrow got to do with this?

Are you saying there can't be more than one "generational" talent, whatever that's supposed to mean?

Brady is 44, Manning is 45. Are we only allowed call one of them "generational"?

Tebow and Meyer are very close - when he was signed Urban admitted they talk often, Tebow has called Urban a 'father figure' to him, and Urban is on the board of Tebow's foundation. It was helping out a friend pure and simple - it is obvious.

Any coach that brings in a player who is a complete disaster to the point where they embarrass themselves in preseason and can't even make it to final cuts for the 'mentality' they bring to the locker room is admitting that as a coach they can't do their job. If 'mentality' is all they wanted him for, bring him in as a consultant and bring in an actual NFL player at TE to play.

You call it great PR, I call it a complete circus - if I was a Jags fan that bought a Tebow jersey I'd feel conned.

What areas of need??? The team is 0-4, they could use upgrades at nearly every position and they picked an RB in the first, one of the places where they were strongest.

As usual, you built a nice strawman with the QB response. I never said it is always a bad idea for there to be a QB competition, I said:

"Taking away rookie snaps is a terrible idea unless you highly value the other option in the competition"

All 3 of the other examples you noted highly valued the alternative QB - they were clear for most of camp that the veteran was their QB1 (highly valued). Urban's situation was completely different, he was having a competition for the sake of it - one guy you picked overall first in the draft and they decided they'd accept a 6th round pick for rather than keeping him on their roster for cheap.

Again, I'm checking out of this here. You admitted in the other thread that you're coming from a bad faith position so no point in feeding you more.

So seems like there’s more carry on around the Washington football team and it’s involves a federal agency of the United States. Remember when the name was the biggest issue facing this team ?

To make it clear I'm saying that Lawrence is not a generational talent.

That posts doesn't deserve anymore of a response than this. It's pure crap, full of hate driven agendas.

You don't like the Patriots obviously as you have shown throughout your time on this site. You can't hide your hate for Meyer or Tebow either.

No use conversing with somebody so full of hate.

• Advertisement

Well gosh, I thought Lawrence was a decent old pigskin chucker, but now that you've said otherwise, I now think he's terrible. Not only does he look like a girl, I'm now convinced he throws like one too. All because you corrected me, no, us. Thanks eagle eye for confirming that, otherwise I'd have made an awful fool of myself in front of my friends the next time Trevor Lawrence came up in conversation!

Some might see a response like the one you posted as an arrogant and disrespectful shut-down of someone else's opinion. Not me though - I think it's a useful service you provide telling us why we're wrong - okay, well maybe not why we're wrong - but just telling us that we're wrong.

My friends laugh when I tell them that Sean Mannion is the next great NFL quarterback. They say "But El - he's been in the league 6 years and hasn't even thrown a touchdown. How can you say that?".... You should see the looks of regret on their face when I said that this is another one of your divine visions.

Trevor Lawrence? More like "Trev-Or You Kidding Me? That guy's awful!" Am I right?

Advertisement