Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,728 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah, words in a private email mean nothing. We don't know if it was done in a fun, joking manner or serious. There's plenty of people that post on here and it's taken up the wrong way where they are joking but don't understand that it comes across differently.

And as I said the world has gone mad, full of pussies waiting for any opportunity to be offended.

Many years back when Sky began showing MNF and Gruden was color commentator they had the mic open while there was still ad breaks on US TV and Gruden said some things that we weren't supposed to hear and some of it was crass but it was always said in a jocular manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No, not yet. They'll come out though. And even if they don't, it matters not one bit.

No names and there may not be any. If they don't come then we are talking about emails which could he all just him being his usual crass, jocular self.

But it doesn't matter to you because you are on your self-righteous horse.

Words in a private email mean plenty, evidently.

If it was one throwaway comment, as was the case the other day, he'd get a slap on the wrist and we'd move on. No cancelling of Gruden by the snowflakes. The goalposts have shifted considerably since then and it's not one comment, it's a seven year pattern where he's gone in on various minorities. A 58-year-old sports personality should know better than to leave a paper trail but evidently not.

• Advertisement

And you're defending a bigot, that's your prerogative.

I don't know that he's a bigot. As I've said, I have heard people defend him. I've heard nobody accuse him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Your position here is absolutely indefensible.

It really is mind-boggling the positions you take and the hills you choose to die on.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,630 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I was just checking to the see the response on Twitter and the top tweet I saw was someone complaining about gruden resigning and then trying to compare what gruden said to what Micheal vick did. Now what Micheal vick did was horrific but he lost it all and went to prison so he was held accountable for his actions.

And yes people did come out and defend him on the demaurice smith comments but presumably they didn’t know the other comments he’d made. And personally i think putting comments like this down in writing is worse than saying them because I don’t know about anyone else, but when I write an email I put thought into it more so than when I just say things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

People using crass and demeaning language about minorities and those who cannot defend themselves in a "jocular manner" in a professional environment is entirely part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭nerd69

I mean if it came out that the ceo of my company was calling a colleague of mine a drunken potato munching stupid Irish man I'd not be happy private email or not I'm not sure that him being "jocular" or not saying it publicly would ease my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

Why die on the hill of defending Gruden,

He’s a dinosaur brought back from tv duty and has been found out in multiple emails it seems being at best crass and at worse a bigot.

So long John and good riddance

On the people defending him - you're exactly right. Case in point is Jermaine Eluemunor. He tweeted last night that Gruden is far from racist and was one of the best coaches he's been around.

A few minutes later, the NYT reported on the next batch of emails. Eluemunor couldn't delete his tweet quick enough, it's now gone.

You can just imagine the "Oh sh1t, no defending that..." moment as he scrambles to delete it.

How where the emails leaked do we know?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Shedite27

eagle, you're either incredibly naiive as to how the world works, or just looking for a chat.

There's no way anybody in the modern world can say the things Gruden says as the face of a sports team.

The NFL were investigating the Washington / Dan Snyder fiasco and looking at Washington emails, and I believe some of the Gruden mails were exchanged with Bruce Allen. Allen also sent Gruden pictures of the WFT cheerleaders after pressuring them to do a topless photoshoot. The whole thing oozes class and sophistication obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Christy42

Does that make Gruden a coward in your view?

No one has gone after him with sticks and stones. No one sacked him. People found out who he was and he decided to go. As for acting like this in real life a good example would be the emails he sent which are indeed real life.

In the real world actions have consequences and a coach is meant to be a people manager as well which he will struggle to do now he has been shown up.

Defends Gruden by railing about "a world full of pussies", a word that has its roots in misogyny.

Comedy gold, eagle eye, or a good wind up. Surely the whole "oh it's so manly and admirable to throw around homophobic and racist slurs" went out in the 90s?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Blut2

• Called DeMaurice Smith (who is black) "Monkey faced"
    • Called Roger Goodell a "Fagg0t" and a “clueless anti football pussy"
    • Called Joe Biden "A nervous pussy"
    • Sent topless photos of Washington Redskins cheerleaders (who were in the middle of a lawsuit for sexual harassment against the Washington franchise) to male colleagues and said they were "juicy ¢ unts"
    • Said teams shouldn't be "pressured into drafting queers."

Yeah hes definitely a really nice guy who should be kept in a position of power over people. Hes "just a little crass". Nothing to see here at all. :rolleyes:

If anyone used that sort of language in work emails in any company I know of they'd be fired instantly. This isn't some sort of overly-PC overreaction, its pretty reasonable all things considered.

Post edited by Blut2 on

• Advertisement

Here we go, attributing comments to me which I never said or came close to saying.

How does your brain work?

The fact that I'm defending a man because I believe he isn't homphobic, isn't racist and isn't a misogynist doesn't mean I believe that it's ok to say these things. I just feel that we have to look at the whole picture and for me the biggest part of that is how he has acted in his life when dealing with people. If we get anybody coming out saying he acted in a manner that he shouldn't then I'll review my position but I'm pretty confident that's not going to happen because he's always been respecful to others. Far too many have come out and defended him.

Someone in the nfl leaking these should be fired also tbh gruden was wrong but private emails being released is grim . Also is Bruce Allen getting condemned at all iv seen little about him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The bloody emails are him "acting in a manner he shouldn't"

So do you think it's okay to exchange homophobic, racial and misogynistic slurs by text/email/in person to your friends provided (i) they are not the subject of the slurs, and (ii) the conversation is private and you haven't called anyone those names in person?

Do you think keeping these things private or "in-house" only means that you're not racist, homophobe or misogynist?

And finally, is there a definition of racist, homophobic or misogynistic that I'm not aware of that limits these to public behaviour only?

Huh? You did say it.

You actually used the "world of pussies" line twice. You're using a line rooted in misogyny to defend a man accused, inter alia, of misogyny. While denying you're saying what you're saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Allen hasn't worked for a few years, he is a nobody and will never get a job in the NFL again now (many WFT fans would say he should never get a job in the NFL even before this).

Whoever leaked should be protected like any whistleblower. It is far from grim - they did everyone a service by leaking them. The more light that can be shone on this type of activity the better. I am always surprised by people who come out to defend grown men caught up in these situations that they know the 'real' person, like some players and broadcasters who came out for Gruden have learned. How could they possibly know which is the 'real' person, the one they interacted with or the one behind closed doors when they are around other white powerful men and their guard is down? I am much more likely to believe the latter is their 'real' personality of how they see the world than one off relationships in controlled environments.

I saw a good comment that it is no surprise now that the NFL ran to settle with Kaepernick - god knows what his team would have found during discovery that could have taken down a good chunk of the league

No gruden was wrong here and should absolutely be held accountable but leaking of private documents not directly related to whats being investigated is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

By that logic practically every whistleblower in history is 'wrong' in their actions - whistleblowing generally involves leaking private documents or information that were gathered for reasons outside of releasing them to the media.

If Gruden had been honest when the story leaked and owned up that he had sent many emails over the years in the past disparaging many minority groups, apologising, and stepping down I suspect the latest batch of emails wouldn't have come out.

Up until the release of additional emails yesterday Gruden was going to ride out the situation through lying to the media and public. When someone in power is lying it isn't 'wrong' to show evidence of their wrongdoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Come on lads it's not fair to hang the man for comments he made ten years ago when he was an immature young man of just 48 years old.

(I stole that line)

• Advertisement

I mean he was being a **** a decade ago it ain't exactly a sign of systematic issues all Snowden or macabre so I'm not sure they can be viewed in the same light. Most people likely have some stupid **** they said in private a decade plus ago I'm not sure that it being pulled forward publicly years later is always something to be celebrated. Seems like an excellent way to dox someone

Advertisement