Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who are gay using changing rooms

• 11-10-2021 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

This was something which my friends, two of whom are gay, were chatting about at the weekend.

One of them, who is gay and has been " out and proud" since we were 15, 20 years ago was chatting about his new gym, and one of the other lads made a joke saying it must be great for you, the changing rooms, to which himself being the group messer said it the only reason he goes. we did all fall around the place laughing.

Is it the same mind you, for a gay man to go to a dressing room, as it would be for a straight man to go to a ladies dressing room? I had actually never thought about it before!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,947 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No, unless the ladies changing room is full of lesbisns.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

In the way that he would see genitalia belonging to people of the sex that he would be attracted to? Yes.

Your "group" sound like great craic. Hope you all recovered from your collective fall.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,990 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Once you get past the early teenage years, nudity in a non-sexual context is not especially arousing. If you go to, say, a nude beach you're going to see the genitals of whichever gender it is you're attracted to - this is true whether you are gay or straight - but do you become sexually aroused or intrigued by this? Generally not. The truth is that the partially-clad body, or the body that is dressed to impress, is generally more alluring than casual or accidental nakedness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Is it the same mind you, for a gay man to go to a dressing room, as it would be for a straight man to go to a ladies dressing room? I had actually never thought about it before!

i think you should think about it a little more. the two scenarios are not comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you've ever used unisex changing rooms, you'd realise that nobody wanders around checking out all the nude people and staring at them. Everyone does their best to keep to themselves, and at a stretch might steal a glance (men and women). But people in general want to be respectful rather than creepy perverts.

And after the first couple of times, the "novelty" is gone anyway, and it becomes a distinctly asexual environment rather than a buffet of naked bodies.

Excepting "gay sauna" clubs (do any of these even exist anymore), I expect gay men don't find the gym changing rooms particularly tantalising, despite what the OP's imaginary friend may have said. Especially when you realise that 90% of men walking naked around changing rooms are wrinklies 60+ and wobbly, chubby hairy feckers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Nudity ≠ Sexual

Like somebody above said, once you're not a teenager or totally inexperienced, the sight of a naked body suited to your sexual orientation doesn't automatically result in arousal. Sure it might be a nice image, but you're highly unlikely to be standing to attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Once your out of your school years you realize been nude around the same or even opposite sex isn't arousing. I remember one lad in our class in school used to shower fully naked and lads use to run out of the showers when he came in. I laugh now, the efforts we used to go to covering yourself while you dressed. I'd be in the gym changing room now and I'd often find myself chatting to someone, both of us naked for about 10 mins and wouldn't give it a 2nd thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Thanks all,

And no, not imaginary friends as one poster pointed out, we are a group of 8 lads who know each other since secondary school, so yes there will be some changes in the group over the years, we all still play rugby with each other and know each other very well. The gay friend in the question above is actually my second child godfather, so there isn't an issue with him, or anyone, who is gay.

It was merely a question around is it similar for a gay person in a changing room as it is for a straight person in the opposite sex dressing room. I agree with what someone said above, I think the novelty would wear off very quick, and some 80 years old man drying his balls off would def not be fun :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The only reason I go to the gym at work (pre pandemic) was to see my slightly out of shape colleagues naked for a few minutes, was so damn hot*

*may or may not be true

I hope for your sake its not true. Because that would be absolutely horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

As one poster mentioned, you just keep to yourself and act normally. I might steal the very odd glimpse if someone was hot but I definitely wouldn't be leering at anyone like a perv.

https://gfycat.com/jampackednegativehog-voight-leer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have been in the unfortunate position of having had a conversation with my then boss in the changing room in work while he was casually flossing with a towel. even if i had been gay, i suspect it's an image i would still recoil at.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Oh I can beat that one, a 80-year-old man putting on his socks this morning in the gym, dried himself off then started with the socks, bent over, with nothing else on.

That was a fun start to the day .

Fair play to him for hitting the gym at 7 in the morning at his age mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

My cousin, sitting down leaning forward with his towel around him said to me one day in a changing room .

"You'll have to go into the gym me. I have an awful horn on me and i cant get up yet. Did you see that lovely arse on yer man over there."

Off I went. He came out about 10 mins later and said "Usually it goes down quicker than that one the object of the horn leaves, but this one stayed a while".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Who even cares, I'm one of those people who walks around the gym changing rooms bollock naked with no hang ups. I think I got over it in my early 20s. Unless dudes are like staring my dick/body out of it (and why wouldn't they I'm gorgeous), I couldn't really care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Hamachi

You're my worst nightmare!

The nudity bit doesn't bother me in the slightest. However, I hate when a stranger tries to initiate small talk with me when we're both starkers.

Yeah...if you are talking for 10 minutes while naked, thats more than a little odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

It's a bit of a weird question like are all gays obsessed with looking at mickey ?! If women were in there would all the men just stand there looking, i don't think so, like others have said, most people are pretty private and just want to quickly get changed and leave., and i'm deffo one of them.

i really don't like other men walking around starkers though personally, no one wants to see and generally it's the really ugly ones who do it aswell i mean wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The nudity bit doesn't bother me in the slightest. However, I hate when a stranger tries to initiate small talk with me when we're both starkers.

In Iceland, you're required to shower naked before getting into a swimming pool. They do offer a private cubicle, but most people just use the communal ones, chatting away.

Off topic, but the weirdest naked encounter I had was in some swimming area in Killiney popular with naturists. It was February, I was invited there by someone who didn't swim naked. I brought my wetsuit and snorkeling gear (not knowing until I got there that it was a naturist spot) because it was fúcking cold. Sitting on a step putting on my fins, and this naked old guy comes over, bits dangling exactly at my head height, with his hands on his hips, to encourage me to shed the suit and enjoy the freedom he obviously did. The freezing water clearly had no anatomical effect on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The OP and his friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes I saw there naked recently myself when I saw other people were doing it of both sexes, it's kind of freeing. Some real Victorian attitudes on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭Floppybits

It is a lethal combination of Victorian attitudes and catholic guilt. It seems we are getting more prudish then we were previously. God forbid anyone might see a bit of flesh.

I don't know that it has to do either with Victorian attitudes or with Catholic guilt. I think it's a consequence of a culture which is generally more open about sex, and therefore more sexualised; we are more likely to read sexual or erotic significance into events or situations that, in the past, we would have seen as having negligible sexual significance.

We see this in changing rooms where younger adults (who are nevertheless old enough to be beyond the age of adolescent self-consciousness) are more inclined to cover up as much as possible while older people are more comfortable being naked in a changing room because, hey, it's a changing room; that's the whole point.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think you've very much got that backwards tbh. Cultures which are less open about sex, tend towards more sexualisation of the mundane. Cultures which are more open about it, see sexual themes in sexual places rather than in the everyday.

One could point to the US as being a counter-example, but the US is schizophrenic. Publically very prudish, very puritanical. But privately very open. This creates the split personality where even the slightest double entendre or exposed ankle in public is exciting and sexual. Where someone might have a sex swing in their basement, but if the neighbour did some topless sunbathing, they'll call the cops. Because the requirement is that nudity remains private and therefore any suggestion of public nudity is sexual. People in the US get on the sex offenders' register for taking a piss in public. That's what being closed about sex does.

Other cultures which are actually open publically about sex; think most of Europe; do not automatically sexualise nudity. Because nudity is not automatically a private matter.

Yeah, on reflection I think you're right. Contrast the attitude to nudity in saunas and swimming pools, say, between the UK/UK on the one hand and the Nordic countries on the other.

I don't think it's a Catholic/Protestant thing, obviously, since both the US/UK and the Nordic countries are historically predominantly Protestant cultures. And it's not even a puritan thing, since they are both marked by puritanism in their own ways. Maybe it comes down to the US being puritanical about sex and alcohol, and Nordic countries being puritantical about alcohol but not sex (and Ireland being puritanical about sex but not alcohol).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

i dont think its really a 'thing' ?

Have been involved in lots of different sports, and showering afterwards, never noticed men taking more than a glance.

But thats normal i guess ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Maybe you're just nothing special to look at 😁😋

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Advertisement