Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭brickster69

So how are you going to find out who is not vaccinated unless vax passports are still in use ?

What a clusterfuc# not putting antigen testing in place is beyond belief honestly. In total and utter limbo with no way out.

An evil man will burn his own nation to the ground to rule over the ashes - Sun Tzu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Well i was only giving suggestions and ideas for the lockdown brigade who think the hospitals will be overrun and who want the restrictions back. Vaccine passes should be brought back for them. I think if the hospitals do get overrun i wouldn’t be surprised if the government would take action against them.

i agree about antigen tests. I know someone who got a slight cold. Bought the tests and diagnosed him positive. They do work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I can honestly say that for the last few months it has not interfered with my life either as regards pubs, restaurants or travel. Face masks I have no problem with for the the few areas left either. I doubt it will affect me, and where working from home was going to most likely increase, Covid has accelerated that. I was a fairly regular pub goer, never been much of a home drinker, but now after getting out of the habit not that pushed about pubs, and from the locals I frequent it seems iI`m not alone. in that. There is also ,in my area anyway, a lot more people out and about walking, cycling and jogging as well as swimming than there were previously. Be interesting to see if all that changes back to pre Covid but I have my doubts.

Far as I`m concerned Ryan is clueless, but with those omission target no set in law, from the emission stats during lockdown I can see the calls for working from home increasing. Also the fact that now they have experience it quite a few appear to be keen to continue doing so.That is a change brought about by Covid that will have a knock on effect in other areas as well, so there alone a change from pre Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Funnily but you sound like jealous, that only over 60's might be allowed to work from home till it is safe. If you are not in that group, so what's your problem? I just filled "back to work form" and there is a link there to HSE site still stating that over 60's are high risk. So they should change it then before forcing people back to work, when it is still not safe for some.

I believe some good solutions like hybrid working will stay and will be new normal. I am not against good things brought forward from all this awful time.

• Advertisement

Spanish flu is associated with the first world war, and while I was not around back then, it doesn`t seem as if live went back to the normal preceding that. Large social upheavals tend to change social practices to some degree. Only time will tell if that is the case here or to what if any degree.

On the rest of your post, I`m no climate change denier, but a lot of what is being proposed by our own government to me is very muddled thinking. With Ryan and the Greens being especially so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,923 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I'm in the same boat and being perfectly honest I'm not worried about COVID at all. My own have both had a bad head cold since going back to school. There's a nasty cold doing the rounds this year and a lot of children are missing a lot of school time with it. Plus, the schools are extra vigilant and asking for proof of negative tests etc before allowing back in to school. That's all well and good but sooner or later they are going to have to stop dictating to parents what health care is provided to their children. If my child is sick, I'll keep them home. Not because of some altruistic need to keep everyone else safe but to ensure my own children get better as quickly as possible. If a teacher misses a day I don't demand that the school inform me of whatever illness she may have.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Plenty of people were WFH or remotely before COVID anyway. If this accelerates a further WFH culture then great. People can spend less time commuting and more time with their family and friends.

Not at all. I was lucky enough to have a very flexible working arrangement pre COVID and worked from home quite a bit.

I couldn't care less what the HSE say about it. It's either safe for everyone to go back or it's not, remember we are all in this together. The government have decided that it's good to go and they have been extremely conservative in their entire approach to COVID.

If the option of flexible working is available to all then I'm fully supportive. If it's just over 60's then they can get stuffed.

Do you have any numbers to back up your words that Covid is the same dangerous to all age groups? As far as I am aware still old people are dying in majority.

• Advertisement

No and I ain't going looking either. The abundance of caution government have said going back to the office is fine. Take it up with them.

Well, people are different. Some are more vulnerable than others. But you have no empathy for weaker ones.

From CSO:

Key Findings for the week ending 01 October 2021:

• There were 15 COVID-19 related deaths of which 14 were among those aged 65 years and older

etc.

What has empathy got to do with anything?

Over 65's are all retired bar the odd fee scattered around. So what exactly are you looking for here?

That age group are already the most protected and we'll looked after in the history of the State. What more is it you want done for them?

I simply didn't found stats for over 60,s but they wouldn't be put in the high risk group for no reason..

And about empathy.... look at your own words: "If the option of flexible working is available to all then I'm fully supportive. If it's just over 60's then they can get stuffed."

Very empathetic

It should be available to all in my opinion and I think in the next 5/10 we'll see a complete change in how we work. What should not be allowed happen is that certain groups get this privilege (and it is a privilege) because they feel they are more at risk.

I wonder if you were of the same opinion, when AZ was limited to those over 60's. This vaccine was a risk to a younger people, so they were "privileged" with Pfeizer and Moderna, even if it meant that younger people were fully vaccinated few months earlier than those over 60's.

And now COVID is still dangerous for those over 60's, so the same rule should apply: protect those affected.

Wait, what?

The older groups got their vaccines first so what's the issue exactly? The fact they had to wait for a second dose, which by the way many got before the majority of young people even had a sniff of a first vaccine.

And for clarity, COVID is a risk to the older age groups, not dangerous. There is a huge difference between those two statements.

But we had no choice, we had to take more dangerous vaccine. Since the first shot my eyesight deteriorated hugely and I think it is vaccine related because it happened suddenly few days after that. So taking other vaccine was a privilege. At least I would prefer to have a choice.

There was no choice for any age group so I think you need to check the aul facts before coming out with stuff like that. It's also not the more "dangerous" vaccine. You've been listening to too many cranks like Luke O'Neill on RTE for your own good.

If your age group got this mythical"choice" that you feel so strongly you deserved then younger people would have been waiting even longer for any type of protection. How is that in any way fair? Or is it only a one way street for you?

And why chance it, if risk can be easily avoided? Saving even few lives is worth it. And I don't care if this would evoke jealous feelings in you.

• Advertisement

Not evoking anything in me. Like I said, I've a very flexible working arrangement as it is. You seem to want it all despite the risk being extremely low in the first place.

If you don't want to go back to work then don't. It's your choice either way. But we either implement changes for everyone's benefit when it come to working arrangements or we don't.

Don't you see, that you are reversing the situation? It is you, who feel very strongly about fighting against "privilege" for older people. I only gave you an example that there are different situations, when people are not treated equally. That's life.

Absolute codswallop. The older generation are the most privileged group to ever live in this country.

You were one of the first up for the vaccine but that wasn't enough, you wanted a choice of vaccine even though that would mean young people would have no protection for even longer while you got your nice two doses. Now you want the privilege of working from home for over 60's only. Despite being fully vaccinated, which greatly reduces your risk, you still feel as though it's dangerous. And then you lay on the "isn't one life saved worth it" schtick.

Well, it is not my idea that over 60's is considered as a high risk group. But I would gladly make a choice for others. Younger people, especially those long commuting can feel anxious as well. So when working from home doesn't make a difference for an employer it should be left for employees decision, if they want to risk or not. Why putting people into hospitals, when it can be avoided?

When you arent working do you intend never leaving the house, most over sixties I know are back to their hobbies, taking hotel breaks to play bridge etc.

Can you not retire if you dont want to return to work

I am leading a full life, thank you for your concern. It is mostly important for my mental wellbeing. But long commuting and working 8 hours with others do nothing to my wellbeing while create a risk. I don't see, why people should be forced to do it?

And I am talking about only few more months, not forever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Economics101

As of today, Portugal has 321 covid cases in hospital and 55 in ICU: which given that their population is exactly twice Ireland's , implies a hospitalisation rate about 50% or Ireland's . Portugal's population has a much higher percentage of over-65s so no mystery as to why they have n apparent infection rate less than 25% of Ireland's but a hospitalisation rate about 50% of Ireland's. But why has their recent performance in lowering infection rates (over about the last 2 months) been so much better than Ireland's.

I don't think that testing rates can explain this. Is it behaviour? or sensible rules? or very fine weather? Given the very similar high vaccination rates there are some interesting questions, the answers to which might be of real use

Along with next 2 weeks are crucial and other vacuous scaremongering stuff.

• Advertisement

I don't get why others want misery of others so much? Free choice would be good for everyone. So much talk about personal responsibility but in practise it means nothing.

Advertisement