Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Can anyone recommend somewhere nearby to park around Morton Stadium, assuming that parking within the stadium environs itself will be out of bounds for the National Masters championships on Sunday. Some recommendations for Gulliver Retail park but a round trip of 4-5K walk with a 7.26kg shot and 800g javelin (also the comps are 4 hours apart from each other) wasn't what I was hoping to need to do on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Try Omnipark. It's 1k walk e.w.

Thanks, I see that on google maps and looks much closer for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

I put on a pair of Crocs as soon as I enter the house and walk around wearing them, they are like walking a round barefoot which is supposed to be good for the achilles. I had a bit of achilles tendinitis, they would be sore in the morning particularly going down the stairs and it has much improved thanks to the Crocs. While sitting I try and keep stretching my toes towards my knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Got jab 2 yesterday, my run is out the window today anyway. Arm feels like it'll fall off. Luckily I did most of the runs I needed already this week so can get away with it. Feel fine otherwise! Also any one got any tips regarding easy running? I'll post it in the Hanson plan thread but the pace I'm supposed to run at feels very slow on the easy runs. Like going backwards kind of slow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sussex18

What is best posture as regards breathing during a run? Is slightly forward better than straight?

And as regards afterwards is it better to to hold breath for a few seconds, when taking deep recovery breaths? 🙂

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

For recovery breathing try nasal breathing, lie on your back with your knees bent, breathe in for a count of 4 and exhale for a count of 6 ensuring that your diaphragm is doing the work. Aim for longer, slower breathes about 5-6 per minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Ceepo

The vast majority of us will have a slight forward lean, so I wouldn't try over emphasise it anymore when running. Of course this is without seeing you run.

Your breathing should be relaxed and rhythmic as much as possible when running. This of course depends on the effort level and your current fitness.

Depends on what you mean "afterwards". If you mean straight away after finishing your run, then you're better of to stay moving. Breathe through your nose as Beep beep says, but try to think of expanding the ribcage not just up the way, but sideways as well. Nice slow relaxed breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Anyone know where you can get engo heel patches in Ireland or delivered? Having trouble with a cut healing on my ankle.

https://goengo.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sav1

• Advertisement

• How do you go about determining your max HR I recently got the book Faster Road Racing by Pete Pfitzinger the training zones I'm using are the ones using heart rate reserve I'm pretty sure my max is currently 190 I did a ramp test on the bike and hit 185 although I felt like afterwards I could have pushed a little harder plus I had no cooling.

I have an irrational hatred of hills, so I'm thinking of using this method:

15 minutes warm up

100m strides with 100m rest repeated 3 times

1.61km (1mile) tempo

400m all out

Rest 

I'd be interested in hearing how others have determined their max HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Personally I was never able to hit my max HR outside a race setting, no matter if I tried to kill myself running up a hill or do an interval session. The highest HR I ever measured was at a 5k with an uphill finish, and I never even got close to that in training, no matter what.

Therefore I think it's unlikely you will hit your true max HR in the session you described, so if you go ahead you might as well add another 5 beats to find your true max HR. On the other hand, if you are pretty sure your max HR is 190 you might as well take that for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

5k race. If you race it to the best of your ability, you'll hit your max in the last km. Like above, I've never hit my max outside of a race.

• Thanks guess it's a good thing that parkrun is finally back :-)

One last question I probably have enough running books but what's everyone's opinion of Daniel's running formula? There was recently a new edition released that I am considering getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Done a few Vo2 max tests, started running in 2018 5km time at 24:30 max HR 205

2021, ran 5km race setting in West Dublin on roads, snuck in 18:22 max HR recorded on my garmin 202 for last 500meters. VO2 last year was again max HR 203.

Anytime I'm pushing hard in a race setting my HR sits 185 - 195bpm up to 10km, 10 miles or more I try keep it under 180bpm so I don't burn out.

Daniel's running formula is a very good book.

The training plans are tough, no doubt about it. If that's a good thing, depends on the runner. Some will have excellent results, some will end up overtraining.

The conversion tables are excellent, if you're a numbers kind of guy, though they can be found on the internet anyway. But it's a very good book written by a very good coach and I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,289 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wondering if anyone has advice for footwear on long runs/races where its lashing to prevent blisters and general discomfort? For that matter what about typical Irish winter conditions where it can be lashing windy and cold on long run day, I've often struggled to find the right balance and wondered what others do?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Might be your socks that is causing the blisters. I'm not sure what you mean by general discomfort, maybe you can elaborate on that a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sav1

I got them through amazon.de but they came from rugby heaven in the UK https://www.rugby-heaven.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Unknownability

I've ordered them but haven't received yet, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭deisedude

Why are Athletics Ireland so backward?

Trying to transfer clubs and looks like I have to wait until April now to change clubs because of a misunderstanding

The process seems ridiculous to me that you have to:

1. Post to the club you want to transfer to get a signature

2. They then post it on to the club you want to transfer from for another signature

3. They post it back to you to send to the county board for another signature.

Unfortunately for me I thought my old club had posted it to the County board but instead it went to my old address which is in the athletics Ireland website from years ago. Emailed the person in the County board to plead my case and not even a response

How in 2021 this couldn't be done with an online portal is simply beyond me

Just smacks of old lads with the "we have always done it this way mentality"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Yes, it's pretty ridiculous. And it gets even more awkward if you are changing to a club in a different county.

If you're a cyclist and want to change your club then you just get onto cycling ireland's portal and do it all from there and none of this faffing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

You can manage them online as per the above posts but there are only two transfers windows a year, April and September. You can train with any club though once you have your Athletics Ireland membership in place via a club but you can only compete for the club you are registered to. I think even after transfer you have to wait a month before you can compete for your new club.

Yup, went through the exact same process a couple of years ago and missed one transfer window for the exact same reason despite all parties concerned being helpful and willing to push ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭deisedude

Thanks for that.

I had emailed Athletics Ireland directly when i first wanted to move and they never mentioned that to me told me I had to do it the old school way. Also no mention of being able to do it online on Cork Athletics website (where I'm based)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Omega28

Is there anywhere around the Dublin 9 area that is good for a hills repeat session?

• Has anyone here tried the various programs available on

https://www.dynamicrunner.club/stretching-for-runners

It's being constantly advertised to me on Facebook the comments below their post seem positive although it's hard to trust the reviews as they could be fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

I don't know, I'm a bit skeptical. I just don't understand how stretching is supposed to fix an injury. I've been running a long time, stretching is very low down on my list of priorities and I'm rarely injured because I know my limits. Usually there's a very good reason for injury and it isn't 'adaptive muscle shortening' or whatever pseudoscience they're selling. It's usually a case of people trying to write cheques that their their body can't cash, running too quick or too much. I might be being harsh but this crowd are targeting vulnerable injured runners with too much money. I would say do yourself a favour and stay away from generic internet plans. If you're injured go and see a trusted physio and get to the root of the problem, stretching with a plan off the internet is probably not going to fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Wouldn't be an expert on the area, but went around Glasnevin Cemetery a few weeks ago and there's a hill to the side of it that I thought would be handy if I was ever doing hill repeats in the area 😄. Not sure whether that's D9 or D 11 though?

Advertisement