Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How excruciatingly annoying is Brian Kerr's commentary?

Comments

Top class pundit and commentator, Brendan. You’ve got this one wrong I’m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Haters be hating the Irish accent.

Well it’s more a Jackeen accent if you’re being particular. Would be heavily influenced by Dublin’s legacy as the 2nd city of the British Empire. Wouldn’t exactly be heavily influenced by the Irish language.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Dr. I respect your view, but listening to Kerr would give me a headache like the aftermath of a seisún with a gallon and a half of Kestrel beer consumed.

Does the lad ever open his mouth and speak correctly or just keep the teeth clenched and talk out of the back of his throat.

Had the lad on a few gayams recently and had to hold myself back from launching a full Argus longneck at the screen.

Complete chancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Whatever about hating Kerrs accent, allegations (and there are a few alligators here !) that it’s exaggerated are nonsense. It’s his genuine accent. He’s a bloody legend in my view. And still a regular at Richmond Park, which as a Pats fan is lovely to see. Never forgot his roots. Stupid that people don’t rate him “because he can’t pronounce foreign names”. Snobbery at its finest.

100% correct... Snobbery at its finest. If he mispronounced West like "Wesht" he'd be fine. Brian has a nice, cultured Irish accent but it's from the wrong side of the tracks in some peoples lofty opinions. What a pack of doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

He's top class

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don’t think it’s snobby, or expecting much that a pundit who is invited on live tv as an expert that he look at the team lineups, clarify in his own mind or with a colleague that he is pronouncing the names right... his accent isn’t the issue rather coming out with stuff like...

“that fella Licksarazoo (Lizarou) just played a...”

also just read...

Kerr currently works as a studio analyst and co-commentator for RTÉ Sport. On 21 August 2016, while commenting on the Burnley vs Liverpool match, he stated the following: "I must say about Klavan, they surprised me when they signed him. He plays for Estonia, he has about 120 caps. He played against the Faroes when I was in the Faroes and I remember studying him before the match and thinking he was a bit of a weak link. I never thought he was a fella who would be playing for Liverpool in the Premier League. Maybe my judgement wasn't very good but we got three goals against him with the Faroes." This was confirmed to be untrue by the Estonian FA who replied to Kerr's allegations stating many inaccuracies as Klavan was not involved in the suggested game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Kerrs very insightful and is genuinely passionate about irish football. He never missed an opportunity to stick the knife into Delaney and the rest while everyone else was on the ole ole bandwagon. He's the most successful Irish underage manager this country has ever had and and his record won't be bettered at that level. He could have kept his mouth shut and picked up a cushy number on the FAI payroll like Noel King . For that he's alright by me.

• Advertisement

Let’s back off a bit and regroup.

The issue here is the lads public performance on a public medium.

It shouldn’t be personal, I feel,in any other way.

Folk can rightly criticise the boy but not be abusive.

I can just about tolerate his studio punditry and stuff but as a co-commentator….. not a chance.

Way too intrusive, in my opinion.

You a ‘Man U’ supporter, Brendan? Getting angsty about Ole and his backroom team of about 200 not ‘doing the job’ for ‘the club’? Taking it out on truth merchants like Kerr and Carragher?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

And Damien Delaney, as well, ADP. A vocal “critic” of the guy. Personally, I think all the ex-united fans who’ve flocked back to the club in the last year should be worshipping Ole.

He’s turned them around after a succession of “big name” managers. We saw a mass exodus of Irish fans from supporting united. They claimed to “not follow soccer anymore” or jumped on the League of Ireland bandwagon, usually Rovers or Bohs, and say that “local live soccer is a much purer form of the game”.

Ole brought them back. My real fear is that this will be to the detriment of the LoI. These, very fickle, “fans” won’t hang around too long if the team dips again.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I love his pronunciation of "Jesus"

If there is anything more totally annoying that the punditry of Kerr, it would be Kerr and Carragher.

The team from hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

This punditry lark is money for old rope. In the Irish context Gilesy was the biggest spoofer of them all. I never gained any insights from his "expert analysis" that I could not deduce using my own two eyes. And,yes, for 100 grand per year you would expect him to at least attempt to pronounce names correctly and have detailed knowledge of the teams and players he is commenting on. At least Kerr appears to do some actual preparation in this regard.

How could you not like the guy? He’s class!

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'm not from Dublin or follow soccer but I like his accent, easy to understand, a down to earth vibe to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

His accent isn’t the issue? A lot of the comments on here would suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not an issue for me, no. He’s not mispronouncing because of his accent but because he couldn’t be arsed verifying or remembering how to pronounce the names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I think may be down to him sometimes having difficulty pronouncing foreign names rather than a lack of research on his part. He would never get a job on Sky Sports or the BBC, that's for certain, but most of the pundits on those are banal and boring with no strong opinions or original thoughts.

Paul Merson, regularly, butchers name pronunciations on Sky’s ‘Soccer Saturday’ and no one seem mind too much.

Neither of them are doing it on purpose.

The tide is turning…

That's a novel idea. Having more than one account and disagreeing with yourself. That will definitely throw them off the scent.

On topic, Brian Kerr is an institution. Sure, the accent can grate but the wealth of knowledge that pours out of him more than compensates.

Can’t say I ever hear this “wealth of knowledge” you speak of, sahib..

Just a whine in the background tossing out incorrectly pronounced names and stuff anyone would find in Wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Dude knows his soccer, Brendan. That’s widely acknowledged. Seems the public like him as well as he has become a regular pundit for both Virgin and Newstalk.

Suggest you stick a clothes hanger out the kitchen window in Chateau Bendar and see if you can get a 5-Live or Talksport signal from Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The great man is on right now.

THIS IS AMAZING!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Forget about Kerr, can we talk about Richard Dunne?

Every time he's doing punditry looks like he's just been caught **** in the toilets at work. Nearly in tears everytime he speaks.

Advertisement