Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭tombrown

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have looked at all the pulleys & they seem to be running freely. Also this is the main drive belt (for driving the wheels) not the blade drive belt; the latter was fitted by the local shop & has no signs of wear.

So I think the belts I use are probably poor quality. Can you recommend a good online supplier of tevlar belts that I can use?

Anyway, I have a new belt fitted which should at least see me through this season (plus I have a spare), so, if I can get a tevlar belt, I'll fit it when I service the machine next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭deezell

Sorry for the mixup. If it is the transmission drive belt, and it is a Hydrostatic drive, then such a belt runs at a steady rate, no electric or jockey wheel clutch impact. What could be causing the damage is misaligned/damaged tensioner pulleys, or the belt may have been installed wrong side of a guide pin (designed to keep the belt from jumping a pulley due to backslap with sudden deceleration). Low tension due to a mis sized belt would cause slippage up at the engine pulley, which could prematurely wear the belt. Otherwise, a decent quality V belt of the correct size should last. Hydro drives are very easy on belts, all the sudden chucks and forces are absorbed by the transmission, so something is chewing the edge or inner surface of your belt. Max JD blames the guide pulleys flanking the main transmission pulley, though he doesn't say what was amiss, (pulley seized/loose/bent/ damaged? wrong path around a retention pin?) You'll have to get under and have a closer look at the belt path. You don't want to chew an expensive Kevlar belt, which I wouldn't deem necessary for a hydro drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭tombrown

Thanks

I have been under it a number of times & am sure the belt is correctly routed around the pulleys & guides, and all the pulleys seem fine. I'll inspect again and see if I can see the issue

Hi folks

Harry Petrol Lawnmower. Spluttering engine. Engine labouring quite a bit.

Is this a clue?: The engine starts up easily and runs normally for about 20 seconds, then it starts losing power.

I've tried (I think) all the usual suspects, bar changing the spark plug. On that point, can an old spark plug cause an engine to lose power when running?

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

dirty carburettor maybe

• Advertisement

Thanks Fryup. I’ll follow that up.

Yes. Superior engine, Aluminium deck, pro quality transmission, solid wheels, robust height adjustment mechanism and premium push handle and controls all add up to a product that will last 20 years with little issue. Its how Stiga used to make their mowers when they were an independent Swedish company. Latterly they became indistinguishable from their Castelgarden parent, GGC, now rebranded as Stiga Group.

This Weibang more closely matches the Stiga for build.

https://www.fingalgardenmachinery.ie/shop?store-page=Weibang-Selfdrive-Pro-Variable-Speed-Mower-WB537SCV-3IN1-p359690869

Stock of either is the issue I think, just getting close to one to have a feel of it. Shanlys are a good dealer in Newcastle Dublin with both brands.

https://shanleymowers.net/products/lawnmowers/weibang-professional-lawnmowers/

If you have a grand to spend on a mower, consider also the Honda HRG536 VLE variant with electric start, well priced at €855 below, but out of stock, or the VYE variant with roto stop Blade Brake Clutch, €800. Shops with stock probably a lot more.

https://www.irishgrassmachinery.ie/honda-izy-hrg466pke-3.html

https://www.irishgrassmachinery.ie/honda-izy-hrg466pke-2.html

the blades on my ride on won't engage? the belt seems fine but won't tighten when lever set to on?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bamayang

Has the hook on the end of the wire disconnected from the tensioner pulley? If you don’t feel pressure on the lever as you engage blades, then that would indicate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Max JD

Hi Lads, The issue was a seized pulley on side of the transmission, it had cracked & disintegrated leaving sharp edges - it was about 12yrs old so had exceeded its serviceable life. I reckon that when it partially collapsed it took a chunk out of the belt. I changed the pulley - renewed the belt obvs & its running fine since ie c.5yrs. Dont know if this is a common occurrence. I changed the deck belt to kevlar at the same time & it looks a good as new - for what thats worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭soundman45

Depends on what area and use its getting, I have a weibang wb537scv and can only heap praise on it, It's build quality is hugely impressive but its a heavy piece of kit too, I cut grass in August that had not been cut all year and it took it down no problem, and if your cutting longer grass the side shoot is invaluable .

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

Thanks for the advice Deezell and Soundman 45, bought the Stiga 55 SVH and is a nice sturdy machine. Will get 5 - 10 hours cutting per week during the season so was willing to pay the extra for the more durable features.

This is a fantastic thread with super advice given, special mention for Deezell. 👌

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,974 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A pet hate of my mower is the weight and the fact that when I have to start cutting the grass in say March, the soil is still soft and I end up leaving tracks that then harden up and I end up having to stick to these then for every cut until the autumn, otherwise the mower is bouncing up and down on them.

Why can't heavy mowers come with wider, softer wheels?

are mulcher ride on mowers up to much? ...do they leave a mess behind how frequently would i need to use them? i usually cut every fortnight would that be too much of a gap, would the grass be too long?

i'm interested in one like this??

Post edited by fryup on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Any recomendations for 2nd hand push mowers? I'm thinking a Honda as we use one in work that is years old and runs like a dream. Mainly it is for mowing paths through longish grass so needs to have a bit of grunt, not something lightweight. Don't think I can afford a new mower. Any advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Personally I think trying to mulch grass only cut once every two weeks would be a pointless exercise.

Unless you had this zero turn, the you could mow once a year, mulching it into powder!

Watch the video. Savage.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fhcDs2BjWt-sMZnZuGi2KANVdOsRbmom/view?usp=drivesdk

A good used Honda about the same price as a new generic mower of the same size. Start with how much you want to spend, how wide of a cut minimum. €200? €400?, 16" 21"?

€400 will buy a decent quality new 16-18"€200 a good used large 21".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Thanks. Think I'd need the 21", its a fairly large area. When I said push mower I meant walk behind, it would need to be self drive. Think my budget could be around the €500 mark.

Is donedeal the best place to look? I can hold off until spring, would that be a better time to buy with people buying new mowers? Weibang seems to be mentioned quite a bit here and the prices seem a lot lower than the Hondas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭blackbox

Yes, it sounds like it is running too rich. Check the air filter isn't blocked before you go at the carb.

Seems to be a few sales on at the moment. Should be a few decent 21" machines out there around your budget. You might need to trawl the sites or Donedeal, and phone for best price, some places don't put sale prices up on the net. Heres one that did, 21" varispeed Harry brand, €499, https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/harry-21-variable-speed-selfdrive-lawnmower/27650715

which is a generic or pattern mower, also know as Hercules, here for €399.

https://www.ecpratt.ie/shop/lawn-and-garden-equipment/lawn-mowers/herkules-21-self-propelled-lawn-mower/

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭musgravedk

Hi All, looking for some advice , iam considering buying an Alko solo t20 ride on just wondering has anyone bought one of these any what has the experience been like, just a bit concerned about getting parts and back up once bought. I would i be better go with Husqvarna TC238TX

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Power22

What would be the best new ride on mower I could get for a budget of 4000 to 4500. Have just under a half an acre between front and back garden.

Back garden is fairly rough and grass there is more like a field than a lawn.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭anronmor

Hi folks,

Considering buying a hustler mower 48" + for our house, we have 2 medium lawns and a long driveway with some semi rough areas / edges of fields that need to be tamed

Is mulching practical for Irish conditions?

Will the mower tolerate longer grass or if we miss a week or 2?

Will the hustler coope with slightly uneven ground?

Thanks

Ronan

Didn't know whether to put this here or bargain alerts but thought it might be useful for someone who like me has a tiny garden. I had my eye on a small push mower on amazon and randomly placed it in my shopping basket a few weeks ago, went to clear it out and discovered it was reduced by 45% so just picked it up at a bargain 44euro. Its a Bosch cylinder mower and the reviews while a bit of a mixed bag are generally the difference between those who have been able to adjust the blades and those who probably don't know how.

Anyway, (amazon.co.uk) (Bosch-Manual-Garden-Lawn-Mower/dp/B004JMTY2K) it's a daily deal so only available at that price til tomorrow. (cant place links)

Stihl 6112 ZL is all the mower you could want, super powerful and robust, 110cm cut. Also check out 5112 coming in at about €4k.

I'd say yes to all those questions, the ability to mulch 2 week neglected rough ground will be a function of power and cut height, but I'd imagine even the entry level residential versions of these machines could cope with 2 weeks. Cut at high, then lower and redo, the grass will be powdered after a second run. Have a look at this video to see what commercial ZT mowers can cut, 3-4 feet high on places.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fhcDs2BjWt-sMZnZuGi2KANVdOsRbmom/view?usp=drivesdk

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭anronmor

Thanks dezell, that's impressive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭coillsaille

I'm been a fan of this thread for quite a while and especially the knowledgeable info from posters such as Deezell.

I'm hoping to be in a position to move up from a push mower to a ride-on/lawn tractor before next spring and looking for advice as to what would best suit our needs.

We have several lawns which would be about half acre in total, some of them have small but steepish sloping banks. We also have an area which is a wildflower meadow which requires mowing twice a year. Part of the garden is at a lower level which is accessed via a steepish gravel path. So we'd need something that can get back up that slope after mowing the lower garden.

I'd like something with the option of mulching on the lawns but collecting the cuttings on the wildflower meadow, as the experts say collecting is essential to encourage various species of wildflowers.

We cut our own firewood and this involves moving quantities of cut timber around the yard so something that can tow a small trailer of logs without much effort would be ideal

Any recommendations as to what machine would suit would be appreciated. Plenty of space in the sheds so size is not an issue. I'm prepared to spend up to €5k but if something that ticks all the boxes was available for less I'd be much happier. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement