Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

deezell wrote: »
    If you have a spark then your just missing fuel. Did you tip the mower over to get at the belts? The carb might be empty, it'll take a good few spins to draw fuel back into it. Two wires to a pulley? How do you mean? Is there an interlock switch nearby? Most mowers require the parking brake on to start, if the wires to the parking interlock switch have pulled off it won't start, but then you wouldn't have a spark.

Thanks Deezell for you info.
    On the main pulley at the front of the lawnmower there were two wires connected. I took these out as I had to drop the pulley to get the belt on. I would say one is to engage the drive the other for the mower. I am not sure which is which. I just took the bolt off, dropped the pulled and put it back on it the new belt. I assume I don't need to do anything else?

When doing the belts, I raised the front of the mower. The spark plug gave me a shock with it out as I was checking for a spark but I think I need a new one as I didn't see a spark but did get the shock. I can see petrol hitting the plug when out so I don't think I have issues fuel wise.

It would remind me of having the brake engaged trying to start but I have this disengaged.. I was wondering that I hit some switch when I dropped the deck but I am out of ideas. I am afraid I will feck the solenoid with all the trying. I am charging the battery as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭deezell

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Anyone tell me should the position of the slit be the same every time the engine stops, have changed the drive belts many times but this time having problem with new fitted but smoking belts, i have notice the slit stopping in a different position as before.

You haven't by any chance forgotten to put in the woodruff key back into the slit to lock the pulley to the shaft. Without this the shaft will spin in the pulley and you will get smoke.

Thanks Deezell for you info.
    On the main pulley at the front of the lawnmower there were two wires connected. I took these out as I had to drop the pulley to get the belt on. I would say one is to engage the drive the other for the mower. I am not sure which is which. I just took the bolt off, dropped the pulled and put it back on it the new belt. I assume I don't need to do anything else?

When doing the belts, I raised the front of the mower. The spark plug gave me a shock with it out as I was checking for a spark but I think I need a new one as I didn't see a spark but did get the shock. I can see petrol hitting the plug when out so I don't think I have issues fuel wise.

It would remind me of having the brake engaged trying to start but I have this disengaged.. I was wondering that I hit some switch when I dropped the deck but I am out of ideas. I am afraid I will feck the solenoid with all the trying. I am charging the battery as well
    Try cleaning the plug, wire brush. If the blade engage lever is not fully seated to off the mower wont start, but it also usually won't turn, so I doubt if its any of the safety interlocks. You should see a visible spark at the plug tip. Look around the anode of the plug, see if there is any debris shorting the high voltage to the body.

Try cleaning the plug, wire brush. If the blade engage lever is not fully seated to off the mower wont start, but it also usually won't turn, so I doubt if its any of the safety interlocks. You should see a visible spark at the plug tip. Look around the anode of the plug, see if there is any debris shorting the high voltage to the body.

Ok Deezell. I am not getting a spark as I don't see anything flash at the tip of the plug so it I will check this tomorrow for debris. I did use the compressor to blow off any debris around the belts and body before I started. Really pissed with this after getting the belts on.

See pic with wired connections so I assume these are for the drive or mower https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Xz08RXU2bveVByd3RDUmpDRGx6eXg2a3ZqRHFTVUE0Qmdn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The connections look like they are too an electric clutch, don't think it matters which way they go round?

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    The connections look like they are too an electric clutch, don't think it matters which way they go round?

Yes, they're the power for the electric clutch for the mowing deck. I had assumed your mower had a mechanical clutch from the diagrams I found for that model. If the polarity mattered, they would use a polarised connector. The upper pulley to the rear axle drive is fixed as the 'clutch' for it is in the hydrostatic box at the back, so this belt is always turning.
    Try a different spark plug, maybe the porcelain insulation of your plug got cracked while you were working on the belts. The spark can disappear down such a crack. If you can feel the electric shock, then you have high tension, it should jump the gap. Changing the belt shoukd have no bearing on starting the engine, so something took a knock or is out of place. Theres usually a wire from the control board into the ignition which cuts the ignition spark generation when you turn off the key or open the bag, get off the seat while cutting. If this wire is partially grounded it might be affecting the spark voltage, but change the plug first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

You haven't by any chance forgotten to put in the woodruff key back into the slit to lock the pulley to the shaft. Without this the shaft will spin in the pulley and you will get smoke.

No ,thats definitely in, always found this bit awkward getting it lines up with shaft, but as i say seems to be in different position slit now facing me which makes it easier,don't know why.

Yes, they're the power for the electric clutch for the mowing deck. I had assumed your mower had a mechanical clutch from the diagrams I found for that model. If the polarity mattered, they would use a polarised connector. The upper pulley to the rear axle drive is fixed as the 'clutch' for it is in the hydrostatic box at the back, so this belt is always turning.
    Try a different spark plug, maybe the porcelain insulation of your plug got cracked while you were working on the belts. The spark can disappear down such a crack. If you can feel the electric shock, then you have high tension, it should jump the gap. Changing the belt shoukd have no bearing on starting the engine, so something took a knock or is out of place. Theres usually a wire from the control board into the ignition which cuts the ignition spark generation when you turn off the key or open the bag, get off the seat while cutting. If this wire is partially grounded it might be affecting the spark voltage, but change the plug first.

Ok I got a right look at the plug today and it is lighting up. Battery is dead so charging. The new belt is a snug fit but not tight. If it doesnt start once I have it charged, then I don't know where to go.

Was going to try to start with car battery but i think this is a bad idea

No ,thats definitely in, always found this bit awkward getting it lines up with shaft, but as i say seems to be in different position slit now facing me which makes it easier,don't know why.
    Youve not put the pulley pair on upside down have you? Thin belt pulley on top for the gearbox, thick belt pulley below for mowing deck. Is it even possible to invert the pulleys.

You have, haven't you? Oops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Anyone seeing any decent end of season deals on ride on mowers?

Have a 0.75 acre site with about half that lawn. Looking to spend no more than about €2500 but can stretch if I feel it's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Have a 0.75 acre site with about half that lawn. Looking to spend no more than about €2500 but can stretch if I feel it's worth it.

Dealers have lost a huge amount of trade this summer on new sales they won't get back so I doubt many will be discounting?

About as much as you can get new under 2500

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/ride-on-tractor-mower/19104023

https://www.adverts.ie/ride-on/husqvarna-tc138-ride-on-mower-new/14992478

The second place is called printer supplies (!) but I've noticed him selling brand new mowers before.

For best deal just go to local dealers with a wad, see if he'll let you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Gerry Croffey in Galway is having a decent sale.
    Headline items are a Honda & Viking mowers with a decent discount.
    Might be worth a shout to see what else he has in stock that might be more in your budget.

Link to his site with the sale detail:
    http://www.gerrycroffey.ie

Youve not put the pulley pair on upside down have you? Thin belt pulley on top for the gearbox, thick belt pulley below for mowing deck. Is it even possible to invert the pulleys.
    Surely its not possible , is it?

Surely its not possible , is it?

It would be if the shaft key slot goes right to the end of the shaft and you put on the pulley first then inserted the key. When you said you could see the key slot in the pulley which you previously couldn't, it occured to me that you must have it upside down.
    As the belts are different thicknesses, usually 1/2" for drive and 5/8" for mowing, both belts would be mismatched to the incorrect pulley guage, as well as the diameters being different so belt tension would be all over the place.

It would be if the shaft key slot goes right to the end of the shaft and you put on the pulley first then inserted the key. When you said you could see the key slot in the pulley which you previously couldn't, it occured to me that you must have it upside down.
    As the belts are different thicknesses, usually 1/2" for drive and 5/8" for mowing, both belts would be mismatched to the incorrect pulley guage, as well as the diameters being different so belt tension would be all over the place.

i think key slot stops half way, so would have to go on only one way,
    will take it apart again at weekend, the slot on the shaft is what i can see now when pulley off, when it use to face into mower every time engine stopped, which use to make it out of sight, making it hard to line up when putting pulley back.

i think key slot stops half way, so would have to go on only one way,
    will take it apart again at weekend, the slot on the shaft is what i can see now when pulley off, when it use to face into mower every time engine stopped, which use to make it out of sight, making it hard to line up when putting pulley back.

Maybe I misread your comments about the key, you're talking about the rotational position of the slot on the shaft? You can always hand turn the engine from the top to position this for clarity. I got the impression you could see rhe key slot in the pulley when fitting, which suggested it was facing down not up, as its not cut the full way down. If the key was pressed in the pulley, not on the shaft, it might be possible to slide the pulley on upside down by mistake.
    Other than that belt slippage is caused by wrong size belt, either the guage or the diameters, or else when fitting you missed an idler pulley, or didn't go by the correct side of a belt retainer lug/pin next to an idler. The belt then would be rubbing hard against this and would smoke very quickly under load.

Maybe I misread your comments about the key, you're talking about the rotational position of the slot on the shaft? You can always hand turn the engine from the top to position this for clarity. I got the impression you could see rhe key slot in the pulley when fitting, which suggested it was facing down not up, as its not cut the full way down. If the key was pressed in the pulley, not on the shaft, it might be possible to slide the pulley on upside down by mistake.
    Other than that belt slippage is caused by wrong size belt, either the guage or the diameters, or else when fitting you missed an idler pulley, or didn't go by the correct side of a belt retainer lug/pin next to an idler. The belt then would be rubbing hard against this and would smoke very quickly under load.

yes thats it, the position of the lot on the shaft has change from engine stop.
    maybe the latter about rubbing of belt, have ordered a another size belt but will check everything again and try and see were its going wrong.

I'm considering a Castelgarden XDC150HD tractor mower with charger, hitch and mulching kit for €2300.

GGP Series, 7750, 452cc engine

- Hydrostatic Transmission

- 84cm Cutting Deck

- 240Ltr Grassbag Capacity

Any thoughts?

• Advertisement

I'm considering a Castelgarden XDC150HD tractor mower with charger, hitch and mulching kit for €2300.

GGP Series, 7750, 452cc engine

- Hydrostatic Transmission

- 84cm Cutting Deck

- 240Ltr Grassbag Capacity

Any thoughts?
    Just the in house engine versus a Briggs and Stratton. They do rhe exact same mower with a B&S, the XDC140. Costs a bit more with a slightly less powerful engine, but any B&S I've had outlived their mowers. Blew a Woodies engine on a washer after 3 years. same on a genny. I'd say the GGP is far superior to the cheap crap on some big store machines, so I'd give it the benefit of the doubt. Its here online with a free trailer for less, but buy local if need future tradein/service support over the years.

https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/castelgarden-xdc-150-hd-ride-on-mower-with-hydrostatic-gear-shift-and-grass-collector-p-8487.html

Thanks, I might use that price and see if they could drop it further. Will look into the 140 too, might be safer to go for a B&S engine.

Was looking at that site and found a Stiga Estate 5092H with an Intek 4185 AVS engine 500 cc, 92 cm cutting width and some decent features for €2487.60.

Link

Are Stiga a decent brand? Apologies, I'm not all that knowledgeable on ride-ons.

Was looking at that site and found a Stiga Estate 5092H with an Intek 4185 AVS engine 500 cc, 92 cm cutting width and some decent features for €2487.60.

Link

Are Stiga a decent brand? Apologies, I'm not all that knowledgeable on ride-ons.
    Stiga made by Castelgarden/GGP. Stiga very high end Swedish brand in their day, taken over by GGP. Most parts common to both brands. Ironically, Castelgarden seems to get a premium over Stiga now.

EDIT; Great price btw, the extra10% off makes it a great buy. Free trailer with it too.

Been researching and shopping around the last few days and keep coming back to that Stiga on Agrieuro.

Is there much to assembling a ride on if I bought online? I'm no mechanic but I'm handy enough.

Been researching and shopping around the last few days and keep coming back to that Stiga on Agrieuro.

Is there much to assembling a ride on if I bought online? I'm no mechanic but I'm handy enough.

Handy will do. Bring a friend, 2 heads better than one.

Handy will do. Bring a friend, 2 heads better than one.

Great, thanks for the advice on my last few posts, much appreciated.

I see they have beefed up the engine in the time masters. I was put off them before because I owned 21 inch mowers with 800 series engines and didnt think they were good enough for a 30 inch. Now they have a B & S 1000 series engine. Anyone use the new model?

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/product-catalog/engines/riding-lawn-mower-engines/1000-series.html

I see they have beefed up the engine in the time masters. I was put off them before because I owned 21 inch mowers with 800 series engines and didnt think they were good enough for a 30 inch. Now they have a B & S 1000 series engine. Anyone use the new model?

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/product-catalog/engines/riding-lawn-mower-engines/1000-series.html

Back in July, https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107728408&postcount=2461
    Mahatmageansai tried one out and was impressed. Go back a page or two for the discussion starring at #2444.
    The 233cc 20978 electric start has what it takes, but it is a whopping 65kg weight, so you won't be flinging it around corners, shrubs and inclines the way you might a 21". You won't be throwing it in the boot of your car by yourself either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭harr

Hi
    Looking for recommendations or suggestions, our back garden has gotten considerable smaller the last year. New shed and patio was seen lawn size half.
    So currently it’s only 30f by 20f and our old lawnmower is banjaxed have it over 20 years.
    I am considering buying a cheap flymo or similar Electric mower, good idea or should I stick to petrol. Any huge disadvantages to Electric over petrol ?
    We have outside power so that’s not an issue.

Advertisement