Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Servant Covid Recognition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

That's the poster going on about putting through PUP payments.

Blame Hospital management, nurses aren't part of the problem. yeeeeea.

My workload was large before covid and increased massively during COVID and involved direct contact with COVID. I dont want a bonus or time off as a reward. Reward enough would be to reform the system and deal with the serious amount of waste, mismanagement and abuse of services. Also would like to see action taken against all the staff that ran for cover during the pandemic leaving the rest of us(risk factors and all) with more work

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Plenty of others worked hard the last 18 months who'll never get any thanks for it. 

I'll bet you're not being told by ignorant loudmouths that you should've been on the PUP, though.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If you are a teacher and sat at home doing **** all while schools were closed, it is hard to argue that you should have received full pay, and even harder to justify entitlement to a bonus. That isn’t ignorance, PUP was introduced as a payment for people unable to do their job due to the pandemic.

What great sacrifices were made or hardships suffered by public or civil service office workers during the pandemic? Is working from home that bad?

Post edited by Dav010 on

Do you think it was so easy?

Do you think having to adapt to working in a completely different way, without all the facilities of an office was a walk in the park for anyone? Do you think implementing new wrk practices, trying to adapt from mainly paper based systems to electronic ones practically overnight, was simple and not fraught with difficulties? No one could have forsaw what lockdowns brought.

Do you think it was magically easier for civil servants to adapt to working working from their kitchen tables or spare rooms (if they had one) surrounded by kids, spouses etc, than it was for private sector workers? Do you think they had money or equipment thrown at them to set up home offices like I read many in the private sector did?

It continues to amaze me that those who know the least about the civil service, are those that continue to complain the loudest. Its just pure ignorance of the worst kind.

Have to laugh at the poster above who thinks government departments literally closed their doors and sent their workers home when the pandemic hit. Its just another whole level of ignorance towards what civil servants do.

Government's don't shut down. Public offices were closed yes, and some services were curtailed due to public health measures but that doesn't mean there wasn't work being done. Hint - read my first paragraph again about civil servants adapting to new ways of working.

BTW, none of us asked for any bonus, either.

• Advertisement

Get down off the cross.

It may not have been easy, but it wasn’t that difficult to adapt to wfh, it seems that a significant proportion of office workers enjoyed it so much, they don’t want to return to office based jobs.

Transitioning from paper based to electronic is never without its challenges, but I suspect few sectors remain paper based, welcome to the 21st century.

I could say the same to you.

Stop posting rubbish about things you obviously know nothing about.

LOL, look at you preaching at me about how difficult it was to do my job during the pandemic - as if you were the one doing it, not me!

The changeover to WFH has been done now, and proved successful so of course many people don't want to return to offices full time - but a significant number do want to return in some capacity. Mostly parents, funnily enough!

This is not exclusive to the civil or public service.

I’m not preaching at you, I just don’t think the suffering you experienced was anymore than others, many of whom would appear to have adapted easily to wfh and want it to continue.

Changing to paperless working is something most companies have done over the past decade, it is challenging initially, but not for long.

I do know about both transitioning from paperless to electronic, and remote working, a high percentage of families in Ireland do as at least one family member is working on a laptop. Thankfully not all experience the suffering you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

One thing that probably made the switch to WFH more difficult for the civil service is their poorer IT skills. They tend to come from non technical backgrounds like Arts or Classical English or something like that rather than engineering, IT, science who tend to be in the private sector and more savvy with computers.

In the public sector, if you don't have the skills, there is no onus on you to improve. You sit back and wait for a course or something to come up. It's the employer's problem you're useless with computers.

I once had to show someone working in the civil service how they could select multiple files at once to upload to something or attach to an email. Before that they were selecting and uploading a single file to some system for about 20 files. That's just a simple example.

Did those companies have to make under take these challenges practically overnight, in the midst of a pandemic? In many cases, drastically under resourced, or without infrastructure?

Again, you underestimate exactly what was involved and how challenging it was. We're not talking about one company. We're taking about every government department with responsibility for the whole country.

Everyone has suffered, but at least I am capable of acknowledging that. You, it appears, seem to believe only one sector suffered at all - the private one.

• Advertisement

The transition started at a particular time for everyone in every business, we transitioned on a specified date over 10 yrs ago, after which no more paper was used.

You have made my point, everyone experienced “suffering”, most adapted and even thrived, despite workload. There are enough threads on boards where office based posters are saying that remote working is actually more efficient and that employers should be at least offering hydrid working if not total wfh.

If you aren’t capable of adapting to modern work practices like paperless offices and electronic communication, you really shouldn’t be working where you are.

And we were one of those who adapted, and thrived, and have done so brilliantly, thanks very much - not that you'd ever acknowledge that because it might mean you'd have to give us some of the respect we actually deserve.

You know what, you've changed my mind.

Give me the bonus.

We **** deserve it for putting up with all the crap we have to put up with.

You really don’t. You did your job, same as others did, nothing more, nothing less. Do you deserve recognition for that?, of course, well done, do you deserve a bonus or special recognition for doing your job? Hardly.

Oh we really do, and thanks to you, I now realise it, and also realise its the only acknowledgement we'll ever get for what was an extremely difficult situation.

Thanks for that.

You are welcome, finally a moment of clarity followed by realisation, you have accepted many people’s view of public/civil servants in relation to special recognition/bonuses. Well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Anybody try access PS depts where did they go? took me a yr to get a PSE card and it was in an office through someone i knew he said all the staff just went home nobody knew what they where doing no the should not get anything.

Have a close relative work for HSE social service sat on there hole for the last 18months do nothing no monitoring what so ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭cms88

There's been plenty of examples of people in the public sector who were actually not working at all but were still being paid their full wages. Or do you pretend that didn't happen?

LOL, the only thing I have realised is that some people are very stubborn, even when they know they're wrong.

What I also realise is the value of my own work, and that of my colleagues, and that we did an extraordinary job in very difficult and challenging circumstances.

You simply don't want to admit that, even though you know it. But you know what, derisive and disparaging attitudes like yours and "many people's" will only succeed in the hardening of attitudes of civil and public servants - especially after the last 18 months. Something I suspect that will stand to us very well in the next few years.

Because mark my words, the powers that be won't find the civil or public servants as accommodating and facilitating as they were after the collapse of the celtic tiger - not this time.

Have a nice evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Can ye give some examples please? And bearing in mind if people were actually sitting at home doing SFA they were probably doing it on foot of Govt/ Health advice.

The same Govt who coincidentally decided to toss out this 'bonus' in the first place.

• Advertisement

She deserves a bonus. No doubt her mental health has suffered. Poor thing.

Teachers aswell. Fought the schools reopening all the way, even using pregnancy as an excuse after a year and a half. God love them.

My dad needed PS card aswell, over a year waiting. Finally got an appointment, they send out a sheet of what you need to bring with you. He lands in and nooooo, they're looking for other documents. Not on the sheet. Your one acknowledges sheet is out of date but they keep sending it to everyone anyone. Social welfare are real bunch of halfwits in there.

Irish water, Eirgrid....winter black outs.....just one fuk up after another. Christ.

Poor folk on social welfare payments deserve bonus having to put up with staff in there. 99% up their own hole, dunno what its like having to go in there.

Funny comment on here earlier along the lines of its so handy go and get a job there. Not possible since its so handy they're all lifers in there. Never leave.

That’s a huge chip on your shoulder there. You did your job, well done, move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Where they not part of the contact tracing teams as according to Coveney?

My mistake.

Do you want to take credit for that as well?

I'd be satisfied if you just gave the staff of the passport office some credit.

Like they deserve.

Are you going to give the likes of supermarket stuff the credit they deserve? Or are they beneath you?

• Advertisement

Don't deflect onto me because you've been proven wrong.

I haven't said a single dismissive word about supermarket staff or that they didn't deserve credit or suggested they were beneath me in any way in this thread or any other. But if you need me to say it, I will. I think they are fully deserving of credit and apprecation for working during the pandemic.

Now, what about you?

Can you give the passport office staff they credit they deserve? In particular those mentioned in the article who were working 18 hour days, 7 days a week, on repatriation in the early part of the pandemic.

Because apparently no civil servants were working any extra hours, either.

Advertisement