Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Servant Covid Recognition

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Is AndrewJRenko arguing that teachers should get a "COVID Bonus"? That's an interesting hill to choose to die on, even the teachers abandoned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

They only ever seem to abandon these things after the general public express outrage though.

The money could be spent on vaccines for less developed countries, instead of on vote buying in one of the world's wealthiest countries. I'm sure the unions are fully aware of this and have plans in place for any and all bonuses to be used to vaccinate those less fortunate, instead of it being thrown away in a self-indulgent, decadent, imperialistic, racist, first world manner. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Or actual infrastructure for the country?

Delaying Metro North and funding this sham is a disgrace (and I think the government have realised how this looks)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭cms88

And then hide behind the ''It's the union who want it not us'' line. It was the same when they demanded to be put ahead of others for the vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It was, until workers were forced out of the office, given extra workloads, then told they couldn't record their additional hours never mind get paid for them.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Teachers, Nurses and Co are on their second/Third covid holidays now. Fully paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

When are Revenue going to pull the finger out and start working at their office?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

They're not in the office, they're working from home

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

They were "sick" before and are sick again. Most teachers get covid tested weekly hoping for time off. 2 years off wasn't enough.

Don't forget all the civil servants sitting at home watching boxsets on Netflix while your at it 🤣

You might fool some people with this crapola but not me.

I have children in both primary and secondary school

There was, and is, no "2 years off", that's just idiotic on your part.

Nobody gets sick leave without a doctor's cert so if you are accusing medical professionals of fraud, you'd better have some robust evidence.

Or maybe you just like to spout scutter...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Economics101

I wonder how far beyond the "front line" HSE employees will the new €1,000 bonus be extended eventually? I can see loads of claims, all given extensive airtime on RTE.

If everyone in the country got the bonus and we all had to pay extra tax to finance it, I suppose there would be a net transfer from relatively high to low taxpayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

They are doing sweet FA siting on there holes like most PS if they getta bonus i am going to start working tax free online

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

I worked throughout the last two years. Going into the office every day because my boss liked it that way. We were considered an 'essential service' but I can tell you, we are not really and we could probably have done it from home. I'm not complaining at all mind. And I don't believe for a minute that I deserve a bonus for continuing to do my job, without any added risk, over the past few years. I think the bank holiday is a fairer and less contentious way to show a nod of appreciation for what we have all had to put up with. Many will admit that they have positively enjoyed the past two years with the change of scenery, wfh or earning more/as much for the pleasure of staying at home. There will be swings and roundabouts as there are in all aspects of life.

you don't have a clue what you're talking about, simple as that.

We're still a good bit short of public holidays compared to the rest of the EU

And why in the name of fúck did they call it after a "saint"?

They could have named it after Daffy Duck and you'd still have a problem with it.

It's actually on the day of a pagan feast that was just made religious to get the pagans on board

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Bank holidays that fall on a weekend in other European countries don't get bumped to Mondays like they do in Ireland. They're not all mandatory paid days off either.

• Advertisement

Citation needed. Seems unfair and pointless if a public holiday is "lost" twice in every seven years.

We're well behind though so could do with more even with this February one (let's call it Spring holiday)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

Perhaps my experience is unusual, but I found bonuses generally only appeared in the private sector when income exceeded expenditure.

What's the deficit at right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Some examples (not exhaustive):

Germany

In Germany when a public holiday falls on a weekend, the government does not allocate a day off in the week, unlike countries such as the UK and the US. Source.

Czech Republic

The "sliding holiday" concept is not applied, i.e. when a holiday falls on a Saturday/Sunday, the following Monday is a normal business day. Source.

France

In France, if a public holiday falls on a Saturday, no time off is granted. If a public holiday falls on a Sunday, French employees are not entitled to take the following Monday as a paid holiday. Source.

Netherlands

if a public holiday falls on a weekend, no extra time off is usually given. Source.

Greece

Public holidays that take place during a weekend are not carried over to the following Monday. Source.

Austria

If the holiday falls on a weekend, no substitute day is given. Source.

You can now get back to claiming that other people don't know what they're talking about.

Oh, forgiiiive me for asking a question and not claiming to have all the answers about everything like all the other fecking geniuses here. 🙄

As I said - unfair that a public holiday can just vaporize.

Advertisement