Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Servant Covid Recognition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,637 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You seem to be confused between "what parents know" and "what principals know".

Parents know what's going on with their own child. Making assumptions about the teacher based on one child isn't very sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I am not confused in any way.

if a teacher is not teaching his/her students, nor communicating with them in any way while working remotely, what are they doing?

You are illustrating precisely why people get annoyed about across the board pay rises and Union’s calls for bonuses, a lot of parents will testify to the lack of communication/teaching/effort their kids received when schools were closed, but like you, all they get in reply is obfuscation and excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭Deeec

Andy I have 2 daughters in primary school. Their teachers job is to teach all the kids in their class. They put in a very poor effort at teaching during the pandemic that's my experience. Dave makes a very good point. I would estimate my kids teachers put in about 1 hrs work per day typing up a list of page numbers for the parents to teach the kids. No kids got extra support. They got full pay during the pandemic and I'm ok with that but they do not deserve anymore.

Post edited by Deeec on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

You don't think that parents communicate with each other? I know I've been involved in Whatsapp groups with every parent in the class since my children started school. 2 or 3 are designated as teacher liaison. We know pretty well what's happening in the class, and we have a right to question if something isn't right- you seem to be insinuating that teachers are completely infallible, principals are always impartial and that we don't have a right to question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

That's for proving my point.

Hangers on. There doing the same job since the 80s; not exactly cutting edge, dynamic employees. Their IT skills are weak and there is no drive to improve.

Any organization that allows an "Excel course" as an achievement in pmds says it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭cms88

''you still refuse to give the Passport Office staff any credit'' Here's one case. Another one here ''and also realise its the only acknowledgement we'll ever get for what was an extremely difficult situation.'' And another one ''I'd be satisfied if you just gave the staff of the passport office some credit.'' And again ''Can you give the passport office staff they credit they deserve?''

''Did those companies have to make under take these challenges practically overnight, in the midst of a pandemic? In many cases, drastically under resourced, or without infrastructure?'' Here you are claiming private sector had it easier.

You going to twist this and say you meant something else aagain?

There's plenty here in the last few posts you can read them all if you wish

You do realise you are making absolutely no sense?

''Did those companies have to make under take these challenges practically overnight, in the midst of a pandemic? In many cases, drastically under resourced, or without infrastructure?'' Here you are claiming private sector had it easier"

You took this, which was one sentence out of a response to another poster who had compared a company switching to electronic systems on a planned basis over ten years ago, to the situation that arose in 2020 - as me claiming "the private sector had it easier"? 😶 Okay, that explains a lot. Some feat of mental gymnastics there.

You have not actually answered anything that has been put to you, or provided any of the quotes I requested.

The one question you did answer, (from someone else) you had to later admit you were completely wrong about.

Stop wasting my time.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I got a laptop at the end of January 2021, and that was considered priority due to the nature of my role. The previous 10/11 months I worked on my personal laptop. I have received no other equipment.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Thanks for proving how lacking in knowledge you are of the modern civil service, yet again.

LOL, the same people whose IT skills are so weak that according to you that they can't send an email with multiple attachments managed to get PUP up and running along with EWSS, mid-pandemic.

Some people just can't admit when they are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The fact that the PUP payment is regarded as some sort of great achievement really shows how low expectations are. The pandemic was managed here by passively setting rules and hoping the population follow them. Our test and trace system didn't work very well. We ended up with more restrictions and a higher number of cases than for example Germany. In Germany they had freely available antigen testing all over the place to allow indoor dining among other things way earlier than here.

Any comment on the Property Registration Authority above? We have no idea how many other departments (other than anecdotally) were off or on reduced hours. What we do know is that many services provided by the state were not running at certain times. The lack of respect for the PS really stems from the quality of services provided. Of course we don't know exactly what the issues are, but we can see the money go in and the rubbish coming out.

As an example of the level of IT in the PS, look at the HSE hack in the summer? Also, what about the fact that the software used to report cases couldn't handle about 2k I think it was initially.

You going to ignore the fact you've been looking fro people to give you and others credit for their work? There's plenty of examples there of you asking for it when you said you didn't...

So you took me asking YOU specifically to give Passport Office staff some credit for their work, including those who worked 18 hour days, 7 days a week at the beginning of the pandemic on repatriating people home - after you had said they were sitting at home on their arses doing nothing, when in fact the opposite was true, as me looking for personal credit?

Credit, which you then point blank refused to give those staff, despite "making a mistake" as you yourself admitted.

Again, with the mental gymnastics.

It seems you have difficulty following responses properly.

@HerrKuehn

Any comment on the Property Registration Authority above? We have no idea how many other departments (other than anecdotally) were off or on reduced hours. What we do know is that many services provided by the state were not running at certain times. The lack of respect for the PS really stems from the quality of services provided. Of course we don't know exactly what the issues are, but we can see the money go in and the rubbish coming out.

Yes, I have actually.

I see this as no different as any private sector company that had its workload greatly reduced but kept paying their employees by claiming EWSS.

I don't see anyone complaining about those staff receiving full wage for less work.

Restrictions were put in place on some public services due to public health guidelines, this was not the fault of the employees - and many who could not continue working at full capacity were subject to redeployment to other areas. Again, the example of the Passport Office staff applies here.

I don't work for the HSE, so have no insight into their infrastructure or IT systems and as for the track and trace system, I don't think any country actually got that right.

You said you never looked for people to be given credit when it's shown you did you try to deny it. Again why are you so obsessed with everyone having to give civil/public servants credit?

Should guards get credit for sitting in a squad car at Covid check points? Or teachers for not teaching? There's more than enough examples to show they weren't doing it. Healthcare workers who didn;t deal with Covid at all. What about those in Departments like housing, rural or the Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport to name some. Where they all working full hours, Because if we go by what you say they're the only ones who were working.

Like i said tell yourself what ever you like if it makes you feel better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Oh they can send emails with multiple attachments alright.

To do so, they upload each attachment one by one. First one .. then the next one .. then the next one .. then the next one.

Not knowing multiple files can be selected at once. You know, basic IT literacy.

Oh just put down the shovel for gods sake. You're boring me now.

I'd bet you'd be the first one crying out for a Nurse or a Garda in an emergency.

It's a simple question to answer.

Well seeing as it's their job to respond to emergency's i would hope they'd do something about it so that's quite an odd statement to make....

Was the EWSS not capped at €350 a week, with no payment to anyone on more than €1400 a week?

Plenty? One example was given! the PRA, which sounded like an organisation that didn't have the tech infrastructure to allow WFH, and didn't have the office space to allow all staff into the office, so what else could they do for that interim period?

Where are the other "plenty of examples" that you mentioned?

• Advertisement

Ah the gossipy WhatsApp groups who think they know everything. Do you think that EVERY parent in the class thinks it's a good idea to share details of whatever extra help and support with a bunch of judgy parents?

I hope that the teacher liaison shared full details of all the gossip about the teachers with the teachers?

We have no idea what the extent was across the entire PS. There would have been no examples if Marc MacSharry didn't ask the question in the dail.

There's literally a full conversation about teachers a few pages back. If you want to ignore that then that's you're problem

What about the examples of teachers ignoring parents when they contacted them? Or are you going to pretend that didn't happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭Deeec

Yep us mammys do share info - we communicate together as a group for the good of our children and to support each other. We are not afraid to share info regarding our children - I am very open that my child is dyslexic as are other parents in the class groups regarding their kids difficulties. By sharing info we help each other - After all we all want the best for our children.

Post edited by Deeec on

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level, and beat you with their experience." - Mark Twain

Well you'd have a lot of experience of ignoring people working in the civil service. So you're calling yourself stupid then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

The group was started by the teacher. The teacher requested volunteers to be the liaisons.

It might come as a surprise to you, but some people actually like their jobs and want to do them to the best of their abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I agree, but not everyone agrees with it. Not all parents share the same feelings on sharing of information.

My Son suddenly dropped out of school for 2 weeks because of an emergency surgical operation that was needed last week. Do we now need to tell everyone that he had surgery so we don't have tongues wagging that he's had Covid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

“Wisdom is often times nearer when we stoop than when we soar”

William Wordsworth.

Advertisement