Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Chat Thread II

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Howdy neighbour 👋. I'm the general Kinsale area too. Have you checked out Neighbourfood? It's been closed for the summer but is reopening in the next couple of weeks. It's a really handy way to order just what you want from local producers and you collect it weekly from the OHK Cafe.

• Administrators Posts: 54,087 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We have got the veg deliveries a good few times, they are excellent. Only downside is it can be difficult to plan meals as you don't exactly know what you are getting, and we also usually end up with 1 or 2 items left over at the end that we aren't really sure what to do with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

A food-related topic: How much am I loving the new 'all soft plastic, as long as it's clean, dry and loose' can go in the recycling bin? 😊

If you can't beat it, burn it. At least it's gone then.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Is shredded ham hock a thing over here? I looked in the usual places but the only thing I could find was shredded ham (which I presume is not quite the same).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,909 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've never seen it for sale as a cooked, packaged product in its own right here, but you could totally get a ham hock from the butcher and do it yourself.

You usually have to order ham hock from your butcher. Very rarely do you see it displayed. As for shredded, a few hours in the slow cooker with some cider and herbs. Yum! 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I used to get one from the deli in dunnes if i ever needed one to shred myself. No clue if they still cook them or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

When you're finally allowed to recycle soft plastics...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Umeboshi Paste

So I like sour, and I like unami, and thinking of getting this, probably Clearspring brand, which I love. So, how do you use it? Do you like it? I'm not into sushi, so thinking of just using it on greens like kale or broccoli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Obviously, it pairs well with rice but I'd imagine it being good with fish and on fried or poached eggs, too.

You can also buy jars of salted plums in the Asian shops. They're really salty and really sour. I use them to make a sour version of plum sauce to go with duck (still, a lot of sugar in the sauce).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭scottygee

My ex-girlfriend loves this stuff!!! She's not from an Asian household, she's vegan. She paired it pretty much with any pretty much like crackers, sometimes salad.

Oh, good to know it's not a tricky ingredient to use! I have read that vegans use it a lot as a little unami flavour bomb, in place of anchovies and such. Excited now to try it out, thank you!

I'm reading that those salted plums can be good as a hangover cure too, interesting!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Curious to know people's experiences with clock or digital timers, etc? Always find they don't to last long, maybe it's the heat in the kitchen. Don't use my phone as I can't stick it on the extractor hood (by magnets).

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

We tend to use slightly expensive Danish models (OBH Nordica et al) and they last quite well. We also find that "hey Google, set a twelve minute timer called 'rice'" is often useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭scottygee

Your phone should beep when the timer has ended?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

Have one of these timers from Ikea for several years on the counter. Handy for the short 2/3 minutes a side things as you just turn it over and back and it starts again on the last time.

Google Nest Hub on kitchen windowsill has become my main timer for longer cooks as you can set several different named timers running concurrently.

Any recommendations for Food related podcasts?

Currently subscribed to BBC The Food programme and more recently My favorite Takeaway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭tscul32

I use one of these https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/staem-timer-digital-red-white-black-20263774/

I bought 2 as I assumed for the price that they wouldn't last. I've been using the same one for a few years now. Usually magnetically stuck to the oven, sometimes the fan.

Between that and the oven's own timer we're usually well covered. If it's Christmas we can use phones too.

• Advertisement

Apparently NeighbourFood have a podcast, I haven't listened to it yet:

In a new podcast by the NeighbourFood team, Jack and Joleen find out what the craic with eggs is and speak to one of Ireland’s most loved food personalities and founder of the Ballymaloe Cookery School, Darina Allen about her love for hens, her favourite way of eating eggs, how to recognise the freshest of eggs and how to source the best ones. Spoiler alert; Befriend your farmer is the key advice here!

Listen now to “The NeighbourFood Podcast” on all your favourite podcast streaming platforms 🎧🎙

Also, The Food Chain by BBC World Service is worth a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

I enjoy Off the menu with Ed Gamble and James Accaster.

A Celeb guest is invited to talk about there favourite starter, main, desert and drink and where they got them .Working my way thru them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

So......we opened a jar of the beetroot just now, pickled with a few cloves, peppercorns and I forget what else.

It was divine. Hint of cloves which was nice. Pickling liquid was perfect, not too bitter or sweet.

Will do a lot next year.

Have to test the French Beans yet.

I ordered a few bits from Asia Market for delivery as I don’t live in Dublin, including a new wok. It needed a large enough box to hold the wok, and accidentally got delivered to my neighbours, who kindly dropped it to us. I’d say they might be wondering WTF we bought, as the shop obviously used a box they have lying around so my neighbours received a large box covered in Asian characters and “SWIMMING CRAB” printed on it 🤣

Why would a pickle be bitter? What bitter ingredients are in it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Lots of people use "bitter" and "sour" interchangeably. I presumed they meant not too vinegary.

That wrecks my head. It's like using "salt" and "sweet" interchangeably!

Bitter and sour are completely different tastes.

Someone posted about a new app called Too Good to Go in Bargain Alerts the other day. It allows supermarkets, cafes and restaurants to sell off short-dated food at the end of every day. It's location based and all the bags are "mystery bags" so you don't know what you're getting in advance.

I said I'd check it out, so ordered a €4.99 bag from the Saltwater Grocery in Terenure for collection yesterday. I got a massive sourdough baguette, a huge slice of cherry bakewell, a tray of tenderstem broccoli with chilli and almonds, and a HUGE fish pie. The fish pie alone retails for €12.99 so I was more than happy with that! Had the bread with a cheese fondue for dinner last night and will have the fish pie and broccoli tonight!

Well worth checking out, imo, particularly if you're in Dublin. I spotted bags from Brasserie 66 and the Toons Bridge Dairy store on Aungier St on it earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know a shop in Dublin that sells cheese cloth?

Dunnes. You'll get it in the baby clothes section, labelled muslin cloths.

• Advertisement

Interesting, I had it years ago when I lived in the UK and didn't find it much use. I just checked it out again now and Cork doesn't seem to be covered by it yet. Shame, as it sounds like it's working well for you.

Nice one, will check out the local Dunnes.

Im planning on making some potato milk just out of interest and Im not a fan of putting the mixture in a tea towel and squeezing it out. Is it just me or is that method straight out of the 1980s? You often see it mentioned in recipes as a method of straining to get liquid but it doesnt sit right with me to be using a tea towel that has laundry powder and fabric conditioner residue in it and then mixing that with food. They usually refer to a "clean tea towel" but you'll end up straining food through chemicals.

Wouldn't bother me, tbh, sure once you wash your cheesecloth that'll be the same. We ingest/inhale/absorb chemicals all the time, the absolutely minute trace amount of detergent that might end up in your food from straining something through a washed cloth isn't something I'd be remotely concerned about, really. Muslin/cheesecloth is just preferable because it's more porous and doesn't shed as much fibre as other types of towel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Thanks for this, I will be interested to try it out. Ticks two boxes... A potential bargain, and reducing food waste.

I'm looking for some baking recipes for teens that take less that 1hr from start to finish. Best I can find are Rice krispie buns but I'm looking for something a little more grown up and complex. Flapjacks or shortbread? If anyone has reliable recipes, I would be grateful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭tscul32

Any kinds of biscuits or cupcakes, scones, soda bread... all can be done in under an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Tiramisu (and no actual baking involved, unless they want to make their own lady finger biscuits).

Scones, muffins, etc?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions, we went with flapjacks and was happy with them. They came out a little crumblier than we had hoped but they stayed together for the most part.

Was in the new (ish) FXB shop beside the restaurant on Pembroke St yesterday picking up a Too Good To Go bag. Mother of god, it's foodie HEAVEN. I practically ran out of the place once I got my bag, could easily have spent a hundred quid or more.

I was in the one in Clontarf a few weeks ago looking for a sliced pan. Oh how they laughed! 🙄

Just frying some sausages* now, to go with lentils and chard.

I find that it's a good idea, if your sausages are sold in those plastic trays that make the sausages into a square shape, to roll them in your hands before cooking, so that they become more cylindrical in shape, like a cigar. And keep moving them in the pan, so that they get an even colour all over. Nothing worse than a sausage that is black on one side, and raw looking on the other.

*It's good to see Cork's O'Flynn's sausages selling nationwide, they have made deals with some big supermarket chains. It's the Cumberland variety that I'm cooking now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I was allowed to open my Christmas present early (very early). New kitchen toy ... yes, I'm old.

(But not old enough that I don't smirk at the phrase nut butter every time I see it)

Smoothies, sorbets, properly blended soups etc. await. Anyone with any solid recommendations, go nuts.

I havent fried sausages in a pan in about 4 years since getting the airfryer, it does a great job at giving them a uniform colour all around without the need for constant turning. The black and white pudding goes in there too for the last few minutes. Have done rashers in it before but they are problematic as they spit into the element and you can get lots of white smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nothing beats a good fry up! Sizzling sausages.... Bacon... an egg... I drizzle honey on my fried bacon... MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

My only suggestion would be that although it's very tempting to throw in some ice when making a smoothie, be aware that it is hard on the blades and they will bend or warp on some mixers. Chips of ice or part frozen fruit are ok, but we wary of hard frozen cubes.

It's maybe not what you were expecting, but I really like to make whipped goats cheese and I recommend the recipe here:- https://food52.com/recipes/24387-alon-shaya-s-whole-roasted-cauliflower-and-whipped-goat-cheese

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Any suggestions for christmas eve/day & st stephans day picky treats folks? either easy shop bought or make yourself.

I moved into a new house and we have a brand new kitchen. I am so excited to start cooking and baking again. Have been in the most stressful living arrangements for the last 12 months so had totally lost my mojo, so really looking forward to recapturing the joy of cooking.

We have a lovely big American style fridge freezer (with ice maker!), an induction hob and a double oven. It feels like the world is my oyster 🤩

• Advertisement
Advertisement