Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,191 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Old Jamie Oliver show on Food Network now has my brain hurting every time I can hear the metal implements scraping telfon.

Obviously pots/pans are consumables to an extent in professional kitchens and are always brand new on cooking shows anyway; but I suspect there's teflon getting in to the food the way he's at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭lausp

Been toying with the idea of cooking the Christmas turkey crown in the slow cooker. I've ordered a 3kg one.

I've done whole chickens in it loads of times and it comes out lovely and tender and moist, obviously the colour of the skin isn't great.

Anyone ever give it a try?

Thinking it will free the oven up nicely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

L1011 wrote: »
    Old Jamie Oliver show on Food Network now has my brain hurting every time I can hear the metal implements scraping telfon.

Obviously pots/pans are consumables to an extent in professional kitchens and are always brand new on cooking shows anyway; but I suspect there's teflon getting in to the food the way he's at it.

Does my head in!! It’s his own Tefal line of cookware so I doubt he’s bothered but it annoys the hell out of me. It’s just bad practice. He also does a lot of recipes where he gets the pans searing hot which is not great for non stick pans.

I remember watching some programme with chef Angela Hartnett (might have been the Great British Menu) and she commented that they throw out the non stick pans in her restaurant every month and get new ones. It may have been every week!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,191 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Their bin company must love the metal recycling value of that! All that chipped off teflon is either going in to food or in to the sewers though; microplastics disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Does my head in!! It’s his own Tefal line of cookware so I doubt he’s bothered but it annoys the hell out of me. It’s just bad practice. He also does a lot of recipes where he gets the pans searing hot which is not great for non stick pans.

I remember watching some programme with chef Angela Hartnett (might have been the Great British Menu) and she commented that they throw out the non stick pans in her restaurant every month and get new ones. It may have been every week!

yeah had read an article a few months back and a chef was saying that in his restaurant they buy Ikea 3 euro non stick pans by the box load and they throw them out when the non stick coating has worn off. He said they do it because it is a fair saving over more expensive ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,543 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

lausp wrote: »
    Been toying with the idea of cooking the Christmas turkey crown in the slow cooker. I've ordered a 3kg one.

I've done whole chickens in it loads of times and it comes out lovely and tender and moist, obviously the colour of the skin isn't great.

Anyone ever give it a try?

Thinking it will free the oven up nicely too.

You could brown it in the pan first to get a nice colour on the skin. It won't stay crispy, obvs, but it will look better. That's what I do when I'm pot-roasting a whole chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭lausp

Yea could even stick it under the grill.. anyone actually done it for Christmas dinner though?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

54and56 wrote: »
    Here's my standard recipe which takes 3-4 minutes to make

- 8 loosely chopped vine ripened plum/big tomatoes.
    - Juice of 3 limes.
    - One large or two very small birds eye chillies finely chopped. (Warning - I like spicy salsa!!)
    - 3 cloves of garlic chopped
    - One large or two shall red onion roughly chopped
    - A good pinch of sea salt
    - 1 heaped teaspoon of sugar
    - 1 good handful of coriander including the stalks. (I like lot's of coriander)

Mix all of the ingredients together in a blender until a smooth consistency.

Let stand for an hour in a fridge before eating.

You had me until the coriander. Vile stuff. Might try the rest though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

L'prof wrote: »
    You had me until the coriander. Vile stuff. Might try the rest though

This x1000

How anyone eats the stuff is beyond me.

Anytime I'm in a Mexican or Indian restaurant I always have to ask for no coriander or I literally couldn't eat the meal. I'm not in the slightest a fussy eater but it just tastes so bad to me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Aversion to coriander is generic apparently. It tastes different to some people than others. Does it taste soapy to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You could brown it in the pan first to get a nice colour on the skin. It won't stay crispy, obvs, but it will look better. That's what I do when I'm pot-roasting a whole chicken.

Best to brown it after cooking.
    I do this with poached turkey crown.
    Just put it skin side down in a frying pan with plenty of butter.

Best to brown it after cooking.
    I do this with poached turkey crown.
    Just put it skin side down in a frying pan with plenty of butter.

Having seen how easily a slow-cooked bird falls apart, I'm not sure I'd trust myself getting it into or out of the pan intact after cooking! Mind you, if it's just a crown it might be easier.

Aversion to coriander is generic apparently. It tastes different to some people than others. Does it taste soapy to you?

While I believe this to be true, I don't think it explains everyone who dislikes coriander.

I used to despise it, too, until I had a eureka moment in my late 20s. Now I love the stuff. It's just a very unfamiliar taste to a lot of people.

Having seen how easily a slow-cooked bird falls apart, I'm not sure I'd trust myself getting it into or out of the pan intact after cooking! Mind you, if it's just a crown it might be easier.

Ah yes.
    I was talking about poaching rather than slow cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I've heard that, too. But I think that there are different types of coriander. Sometimes it tastes just about alright, sometimes it's like lemon washing up liquid.

Funnily enough I adore coriander seeds.

While I believe this to be true, I don't think it explains everyone who dislikes coriander.

I used to despise it, too, until I had a eureka moment in my late 20s. Now I love the stuff. It's just a very unfamiliar taste to a lot of people.

I was the exact same. Could pick a single speck of it up in a dish at a hundred yards in my teens and all I could taste was soap.

Absolutely adore the stuff now and have done for years.

Conversely, I used to LOVE celery as a kid and can't stand it now.

Your taste buds change, that's about all there is to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

I was the exact same. Could pick a single speck of it up in a dish at a hundred yards in my teens and all I could taste was soap.

Absolutely adore the stuff now and have done for years.

Conversely, I used to LOVE celery as a kid and can't stand it now.

Your taste buds change, that's about all there is to it.

No, there is an actual scientific reason for dislike of coriander and many papers and studies done on the subject.

No, there is an actual scientific reason for dislike of coriander and many papers and studies done on the subject.

I'm aware of that. What tBR and I are saying is that many people seem to "outgrow" (for want of a better word) that aversion.

No one is disputing that this exists.
    Am simply saying, from personal experience, that this is not the only reason why some people dislike coriander.
    You can also, just not like it.
    The same way someone can just not like lemon - it doesn't have to be genetic.

I'm aware of that. What tBR and I are saying is that many people seem to "outgrow" (for want of a better word) that aversion.

No, you may, like many people..not like turnip..or sprouts and then grow into liking them...that is you and your taste buds maturing and enjoying new things etc.
    People who cannot eat coriander have a genetic issue that for most is insurmountable...it's actually more to do with sense of smell than taste alone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Love corriander, I could eat handfuls of the stuff straight from the plant, I've a ten year old boy here same as his dad (and mam tbf) though the rest of the kids think it's the stuff of Satan and won't touch it.

Corriander makes the difference in a lot of dishes I make, Curry's, chilli's, chicken/noodles and guacamole and salads off the top of my head.

No, you may, like many people..not like turnip..or sprouts and then grow into liking them...that is you and your taste buds maturing and enjoying new things etc.
    People who cannot eat coriander have a genetic issue that for most is insurmountable...it's actually more to do with sense of smell than taste alone...

You only listen to your own voice, don't you?

How do you explain the fact that I used to despise coriander but now I love it? Did my genetics change?

No one is claiming that a genetic dislike for coriander does not exist. OK?

For the third time, I'm saying that genetics is not the only reason why someone might dislike coriander. I, and others, are living proof of that.

I promise that I won't make the exact same, logically sound argument a fourth time. I will just accept that some people don't listen!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

So.... What coriander do people recommend?

To be clear, I don't think that I outgrew a genetic aversion to coriander. I don't believe that I was ever genetically disposed to dislike coriander.

I am claiming that I merely didn't like coriander and grew to like it.

So.... What coriander do people recommend?

Fresh!

You only listen to your own voice, don't you?

How do you explain the fact that I used to despise coriander but now I love it? Did my genetics change?

No one is claiming that a genetic dislike for coriander does not exist. OK?

For the third time, I'm saying that genetics is not the only reason why someone might dislike coriander. I, and others, are living proof of that.

I promise that I won't make the exact same, logically sound argument a fourth time. I will just accept that some people don't listen!

"Your taste buds change, that's about all there is to it."
    That's what dial hard said...it is incorrect... anything you have to add is irrelevant

"Your taste buds change, that's about all there is to it."
    That's what dial hard said...it is incorrect... anything you have to add is irrelevant

How about you address my post as opposed to something that I didn't say?

How about you address my post as opposed to something that I didn't say?

My good man, at no point was I engaging with you...please read all my posts on the matter before jumping in blindly.

My good man, at no point was I engaging with you...please read all my posts on the matter before jumping in blindly.

I am entitled to comment on and point out the inaccuracies in your posts, as I have done.
    I do not require your permission.
    And, please do not address me as, "My good man", it is patronising and disingenuous in the circumstances.

• Advertisement

I am entitled to comment on and point out the inaccuracies in your posts, as I have done.
    I do not require your permission.
    And, please do not address me as, "My good man", it is patronising and disingenuous in the circumstances.

I'm afraid you have either been unable to read, or understand my posts on the subject...I shall no longer be engaging with you, I thank you for your contribution on the subject though

Advertisement