Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Comerman

Need a little bit of assistance here folks, I've been given a piece of beef what I'd call an eye of round but only info on the label is its "italian magatello beef" ccan aanyone tellme hhow llong tto ccook iit ffor wWell done?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Comerman wrote: »
    Need a little bit of assistance here folks, I've been given a piece of beef what I'd call an eye of round but only info on the label is its "italian magatello beef" ccan aanyone tellme hhow llong tto ccook iit ffor wWell done?

Its basically a round roast from the thigh. Its very lean. If you cook it well done it will be dry and tasteless. Borderline criminal behaviour.

That said, this is a handy little tool.

Roast Timer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Comerman

The Nal wrote: »
    Borderline criminal behaviourRoast Timer

Tell the rest of the family that, cheers Nal. Maybe I'll leave the middle pink for myself

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Comerman wrote: »

If you cook it slowly in liquid it won't be dry. In a slow cooker, 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. In. a conventional oven it'd take 2 hours.
    It would be perfect for French Dip sandwiches, or with mash & veg.

https://donalskehan.com/recipes/french-dip-sandwich/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know can you re-use pickling liquid, would seem a shame to throw it out. Its apple cider vinegar, salt, sugar and some peppercorns.

Sometimes when my jar of cucumber pickle is finished I add fresh sliced cucumber to it and off I go again. Never had an issue. If anything smelled strange or went mouldy I'd chuck it. I also advise only using clean utensils in the jar.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

j7gHS1d.jpg

Don't know if this has been shared before but it is the stuff of gods if you like Maccyd's Big Mac Sauce..

I've had it on leftover roast beef and Slow cooker ham.. Delish!

Also on some butcher burgers with fried onions and cheese.. Heaven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

conor_ie wrote: »
    j7gHS1d.jpg

Don't know if this has been shared before but it is the stuff of gods if you like Maccyd's Big Mac Sauce..

I've had it on leftover roast beef and Slow cooker ham.. Delish!

Also on some butcher burgers with fried onions and cheese.. Heaven!

Went thru 2 jars of the stuff over Xmas....it's gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Does out of date strong flour still work yeast and rise as it should? Eyeing up lovely recipes and what I have in the presses!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭phormium

Does out of date strong flour still work yeast and rise as it should? Eyeing up lovely recipes and what I have in the presses!!!

Should do, providing the flour is not actually gone off, if it smells ok, isn't clumpy or anything and has no crawlies it should work fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Went to the butchers to get beef short ribsm expected something like this but got something more akin to this

Now it doesn't matter as I've cut off the excess this fat and can skim some of it after cooking, but is it just down to what the butcher gets in/a different cut or do we just not get the 'meatier' ones in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

You must complain. Show him those photos. Ask him why.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

tangy wrote: »
    You must complain. Show him those photos. Ask him why.

I've gotten them the same in other butchers, figured it's just the way they're done here. Will ask them next time I'm in out of curiosity

• Administrators Posts: 53,460 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

On the subject of butchers, I went in today looking for a lamb loin fillet and he looked at me like I had two heads. This is a reputable butcher that's been around for a long time.

Did I call it the wrong name?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭con747

awec wrote: »
    On the subject of butchers, I went in today looking for a lamb loin fillet and he looked at me like I had two heads. This is a reputable butcher that's been around for a long time.

Did I call it the wrong name?

Not sure why, but it's called that as far as I know, https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/292367194

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fade Into You

I'm in the market for a coffee machine, but have no idea where to get one. I've seen online that they have a limited run of the machine, and it's around the €20 mark. I'm wondering if they're making a profit on it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What type of machine? Pod machines are often sold at a loss on purpose. Razor and blade business model

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I would like the option to make things with a batter or coating on them at home, like tempura vegetables, croquettes, onion rings etc. I'm thinking of buying a deep fat fryer for this, but I just wanted to check and see if that's the best option? When I searched on Amazon, lots of air fryers came up, which I wouldn't have thought would work...

Faith wrote: »
    I would like the option to make things with a batter or coating on them at home, like tempura vegetables, croquettes, onion rings etc. I'm thinking of buying a deep fat fryer for this, but I just wanted to check and see if that's the best option? When I searched on Amazon, lots of air fryers came up, which I wouldn't have thought would work...

If you're just going to deep fry occasionally, all you need is a heavy bottomed pot. That's what I use when I want to deep fry from time to time.

You couldn't put a wet batter into the air fryer. It would be blown around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭con747

I use one of these for small batches of stuff when I want to deep fry. Cheap and small but does the job for 2 people. www.currys.ie/ieen/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/small-cooking-appliances/frrs/logik-l30pfs12-professional-deep-fryer-stainless-steel-12002409-pdt.html

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭Ryath

If you're just going to deep fry occasionally, all you need is a heavy bottomed pot. That's what I use when I want to deep fry from time to time.

You couldn't put a wet batter into the air fryer. It would be blown around.

It's what I do to now. I have a deep fat fryer but it's in the shed now, it was barely being used and just a waste of oil as it would be so long between uses it was going off. Just use a saucepan now and I just pour the oil back in to an airtight container to reuse for the odd few bits I do deep fry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use a wok for deep frying, because I can get the depth I want without using lots of oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

A wok's what we use too, but since going to oven chips we don't do much deep frying (apart from Scotch eggs about once a year :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

When I searched on Amazon, lots of air fryers came up, which I wouldn't have thought would work...
    Airfryers are small countertop convection ovens with fast fans, the only thing that resembles a deep fryer is that the baskets have a mesh in the bottom.

I did see a guy make chicken balls with wet batter in one, this would work in a regular oven too, he used silicone moulds to make the batter set, then popped them out and I guess rolled in plenty of oil and air fried.

I have a minature deep fryer, really small so is quick to heat and needs very little oil to fill. It can be poured into a jar after and kept in the fridge.

Like others I have used a wok. A trick I did was to have it fairly hot and deep fry stuff for a few seconds, just to set the batter, then take them out and set aside and do another batch. Then finish them all off in the airfryer. It also means some things could be put in the fridge or frozen, and done in the oven later, similar to what food producers do when they bread or batter raw chicken or fish and flash fry to set the batter.

rubadub wrote:
    I have a minature deep fryer, really small so is quick to heat and needs very little oil to fill. It can be poured into a jar after and kept in the fridge.

Like others I have used a wok. A trick I did was to have it fairly hot and deep fry stuff for a few seconds, just to set the batter, then take them out and set aside and do another batch. Then finish them all off in the airfryer. It also means some things could be put in the fridge or frozen, and done in the oven later, similar to what food producers do when they bread or batter raw chicken or fish and flash fry to set the batter.

Brilliant idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,141 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I just lost a giant mug of chicken stock from the chicken I roasted yesterday to the bin.
    It was my own fault. But i am so sad right now that I can't make the delicious gravy i was going to have :(

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I just lost a giant mug of chicken stock from the chicken I roasted yesterday to the bin.
    It was my own fault. But i am so sad right now that I can't make the delicious gravy i was going to have :(

This happened once when my husband poured washing up liquid into the roasting tin while the chicken was resting on a plate.

I was like, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Registered Users Posts: 13,141 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

It really put a downer on my evening!
    Think I'm over it now though. Just about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    It really put a downer on my evening!
    Think I'm over it now though. Just about

Things like that really upset me, too.

I remember absent mindedly pouring roasting juice from a lamb slow roast into a pot of waste oil. I got the sides of the gravy separator mixed up!

Advertisement