Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Thank you very much!

Any recommendations from Cork people?
    I guess I could try the English Market.

I'd recommend O Mahony's in the English market. Proper pork with some actual flavour as opposed to the white, tasteless pork most butchers and supermarkets have.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Pork shoulder used to be in my local Tesco but hasnt been for about 2 years now. Have never seen it in Aldi, only pork loins. But any butcher should have it, its typically 8 euro a kilo or so. I always ask him to chop it into 2 inch cubes with the fat left on. I think having it like that means theres more surface area to soak up the orange juice its cooked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

An Asador-Prado at Home deluxe box just arrived at my front door. Early birthday present from my two closest friends. It looks absolutely SUBLIME. Cannot wait to get stuck in. It's an unbelievable amount of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I’ve used the plain loin of pork from Aldi loads of times and it’s been great. It’s what you add to the pulled pork that makes the big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Is it hard to get mutton in a butchers? Watching Hairy Bikers last night they were singing it’s praises in slow cooking. Might try and get some, just to taste the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Is it hard to get mutton in a butchers? Watching Hairy Bikers last night they were singing it’s praises in slow cooking. Might try and get some, just to taste the difference.

I've rarely seen mutton.
    A lot of what is sold as lamb is actually hogget (between lamb and mutton).
    If you have a relationship with a butcher, ask. Many will deny selling mutton as it isn't popular over lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Completly agree. It has a bad reputation and most people don't know the difference. Most decent butchers should be able to get it. It has a lovely flavour

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

541206.jpeg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm off tomorrow, had to use the last of 2020's leave by the end of the month and even taking basically all of December off didn't kill it... and when outside the office today I felt the first actual warm sunshine of 2021.

Would I be insane to get the BBQ cleaned up and do something on it for dinner? Real proper dark is at 18:23 but I have some outdoor lighting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I say go for it! We barbecued our pork chops tonight :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Has anyone else had problems finding tinned chickpeas in the supermarkets recently? Not a sign of them in either Aldi or Lidl at the moment. This seems to be a recurring theme, and some Googling would suggest that there have been crop problems in the past in the countries where they're grown, wherever that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Same in the local lidl but got them in Dunnes in the end

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They seem to come and go in Aldi, but our Tesco have lots at the minute and they're at least as cheap and the Aldi ones.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Would anyone know where to get proper Ramen Bowls? I know I could get a set from Amazon but trying to shop local where I can!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Stock (beside St Stephen's Green S.C.) used to have them years ago. Also try one of the larger TK Maxx, or one of the Asian food shops. Ask Wagamama or one of the Japanese restaurants, they may have some for sale, too.

New Home wrote: »
    Stock (beside St Stephen's Green S.C.) used to have them years ago. Also try one of the larger TK Maxx, or one of the Asian food shops. Ask Wagamama or one of the Japanese restaurants, they may have some for sale, too.

Thank you! I'll have to wait for the restrictions to be lifted before I can go anywhere! :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ah yes. That. :D

They may have websites, you could take a look - maybe they can deliver them.

BTW, sometimes Tesco have bowls that look a lot like ramen bowls, only they're not advertised as such. Worth having a look, if you've a branch nearby.

New Home wrote: »
    Ah yes. That. :D

They may have websites, you could take a look - maybe they can deliver them.

BTW, sometimes Tesco have bowls that look a lot like ramen bowls, only they're not advertised as such. Worth having a look, if you've a branch nearby.

Yeah we've an extra beside us so I'm sure I'd get one there if I looked.

Oh, you just reminded me, when you said "extra": try Argos, you never know!

Wondering if anyone that has a Kenwood Kmix (specifically the KMX750 ) has had the same issue as me.. I'm finding when I'm using it whether its for doughs, cookie batters or meringues that it's not quite getting the bottom of the mix eh, mixed.

I tried adjusting the attachments but I'm finding it difficult. For any videos I've seen online the nut just below the 2 forks that hook into the actual machine doesn't separate. In the videos you can slide it up and down slightly before tightening it. By loosening the nut to the height I want it's not exactly tight against the base and I'm worried would cause issues when the machines in use. Any ideas?

• Advertisement

I bought the same model just before Christmas and it's been fine so I didn't have to adjust anything. I've rooted out the manual to have a look, and it says that the attachments aren't supposed to touch the bottom on the bowl, if that's what you're asking? Mine sit just above the bottom and they mix perfectly.

I just realised you're asking about the position of the nut. Sorry, I have no experience of that but I'm sure someone else here or in the Baked Anything Tasty Lately thread has.

I bought the same model just before Christmas and it's been fine so I didn't have to adjust anything. I've rooted out the manual to have a look, and it says that the attachments aren't supposed to touch the bottom on the bowl, if that's what you're asking? Mine sit just above the bottom and they mix perfectly.

Thanks for the reply, I found a manual online that said exactly what had said :D. Just curious, following on from a post I saw, do you add wet to dry ingredients or vice versa?

Basically when I was making pizza dough yesterday and added dry to wet it all clumped around the dough hook and seemed to be mixing just fine then a minute or two later kind of went into a big blob at the bottom of the bowl and it seemed this wasn't getting mixed like the bits touching the hook

I always add dry ingredients first - I tend to go with the order they're in in the recipe. I can imagine the mess you had doing it the way you did!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Does anyone have any recipes that involve using lemon and lime? Preferably savory as I'm trying to cut back on the sweet treats. Or possibly a non-alcoholic beverage. Or even any completely alternative uses such as homemade cleaning hacks :P

Is it possible to freeze the juice?

I've 3 lemons and 3 limes in my fridge that are going to go to waste otherwise :/ (I just needed one of each for a recipe last week, but could only get them in packs of 4!) I've a lemon chicken recipe I can do, but that will only use one lemon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

woodchuck wrote: »
    Does anyone have any recipes that involve using lemon and lime? Preferably savory as I'm trying to cut back on the sweet treats. Or possibly a non-alcoholic beverage. Or even any completely alternative uses such as homemade cleaning hacks :P

I've 3 lemons and 3 limes in my fridge that are going to go to waste otherwise :/ (I just needed one of each for a recipe last week, but could only get them in packs of 4!) I've a lemon chicken recipe I can do, but that will only use one lemon...

I slice them and freeze the slices, then you have ice and lemon/lime in one for a drink. I would say the juice freezes fine though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Thanks a mill! Tbh I've never really liked lemon/lime slices in drinks though.

The more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense just to try and freeze the juice in ice-cube trays. I do use the juice of one lemon and/or lime occasionally in recipes, so at least they'll get used (if I don't forget about them :P).

I was toying with the idea of trying to make a marmalade, but effort of that.

Pancake Tuesday is a couple of weeks away, but I reckon himself will want fresh lemons for that... so I'll probably have even more freezing to do then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Nigella Lawson's chicken in a pot with lemon and orzo will use up two of the lemons for you.

I fly through limes as I squeeze them onto salads as a dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

woodchuck wrote: »

You can freeze them whole. The juice will be fine but the flesh won't be.

Or, you could dry them out in the oven and keep them in a jar for drinks. They last for years. Just slice them thin, put them in the oven at 90c on a rack for a couple of hours.

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__liquor__2019__02__20144433__Are-Dehydrated-Citrus-Peels-the-Dumbest-Garnish-Ever-dehydrated-citrus-720x480-inline-70abf858a97b4869ad4b63ab0ed2659d.jpg

• Advertisement

I freeze them all the time. The organic, unwaxed ones I use for the zest, too, which is way easier to grate when they're frozen and they've only just started to thaw. You can then wait until they're completely thawed before you squeeze them.

Advertisement