Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Servant Covid Recognition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

By reimbursing businesses for lost income on those three days they may be forced to shut? Or are you saying the Government will pay three days wages for every employee in the country? Any idea how much that would cost?

Ironically, the very people who the reward was meant to benefit, front line staff, still have to work on bank holidays.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

I cant believe you have to explain this.

Either some people live in a bubble or are just idiots. Surely everyone knows at least one Healthcare employee and knows the **** they put up with this last 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

We have one of the lowest numbers of Bank Holidays in the EU. We also have the bare minimum of annual leave allowance of 20 days again compare us to rest of EU where some countries have 25 or more. Some studies show people in Ireland work way longer hours then France, Germany etc. Not every business is struggling after Covid. Industries such as hospitality tend to benefit from Bank Holidays. So given the above why should workers be concerned about businesses paying for this Businesses in economies weaker then ours can afford it.

I presume healthcare workers that are scheduled to work a Bank Holiday either get paid for it or get it added to their holiday entitlement. I am open to correction on that.

You are missing the point, this started as recognition for hospital workers who are state employed, now the government is going to extend it to the private sector. Not every business is struggling, but the last thing needed is for them to be closed another day, or have to pay staff extra to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Pay the medical professionals who dealt with covid, no one else should get anything including HSE employees who were not dealing with covid patients.

That will earn support from the public and the unions can sing for those in the PS who worked from home

The guards don't deserve a bean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Once a bonus was suggested for one group then every other group was going to go looking for their cut. The government are probably in a no win situation with this. A BH means every worker gets something. Realistically not everyone in health service needs a reward as they aren’t all on the frontline. It gets very messy deciding who deserves it and who doesn’t.

My point was that a BH is hardly going to ruin the country when the rest of private sector in EU can manage just fine. There appears to be many businesses close to the brink and they will go under BH or no BH. Bank Holidays are associated with increased spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The situation that front line health care workers had to endure last year was horrendous. If we think back to the time when Italy was being overrun and needed ventilators. It was a very scary time as we didn't know much about the virus at the time other than what we had seen in China and Italy. Health care staff were still expected to go to work when many of us were sitting at home safely. My wife is a nurse and had to go through this, it was awful. There was a point where there were 17 of the staff on the ward out with Covid (not just isolating) and that meant she had to do more shifts! The last thing you would want to do in that situation is spend more time in the hospital, particularly when it was running rampant.

The fact that people need to be reminded of this is really disappointing. It will probably be difficult to recognise this in any meaningful way to be honest, as then we would also have to give bonuses to our heroic librarians and passport office staff. I think the least people could do is show a bit of gratitude to those we expected so much from in the early days of the pandemic. That costs nothing.

• It’s a matter of the gubbermint saying “we must do something for these people, what will be do? We’ll throw out ideas and see how they go down in various quarters. Whatever brings us the most votes next time.”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

We're talking FRONT LINE workers here, the people who put themselves in harm's way, now you've other civil servants and retailers jumping in on this...like you can even compare what hospital staff went through and what the deli girl did during the pandemic. Get a fücking grip. Half the people moaning here had their arses plonked at home for over a year getting well paid or had a years holidays on covid payment.

Did EU countries have the restrictions we had, for as long as we had?

I really don’t see the relevance of comparing other countries and saying if they can afford it, we should, they are not this country. Also, unlike yourself, I think those businesses on the brink and the people working for them should be helped, not given up on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

Of course some will have to work the bank holiday. But they will either get paid for it or added to their holiday balance.

May suit some who knows.

It is also worth mentioning that a lot of the larger retailers like Aldi, Tesco and Dunnes paid a 10% bonus to staff. What frontline health care workers are looking for is nothing like that scale.

I think you and staff like you should get a bonus. I worked from home 80% of the time during Covid. I don’t particularly want a bonus. But if I get one I’ll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You've already been told more than once that your "point" is totally wrong, so you no longer have the excuse of ignorance to rely on for posting shíte...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Deeec

I knew this would happen! I wouldnt support teachers on this at all - the level of work that my childrens teachers put in during the lockdowns was a few hours a week ( way less than their normal working week ) - very little interaction just sent a list of work for parents to do with the kids. We as parents became the kids teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Just done by the government to win votes and distract from all their other BS.

All I'll say it should we start paying firefighters extra every time they go into burning building? As for nurses they face situations every day where they could potentially contract **** a lot worse than COVID.

Per head, we are the third most endebted country in the world and FFG just can't stop spending money.

Same, half an hour zoom call a week and a few exercises from Twinkl sent on. I mean I don't expect a lot from them as you can't really teach a 6 and 8 year old remotely in my opinion, but they were already well compensated in extra time off over the last year and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭cms88

But but but they said they were working more than ever. Why would they say that if it wasn't true?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Madeoface

This was about civil servants in particular as opposed to public servants? Or perhaps OP didn't know the difference. The two offices of the civil service that stayed open and provided extra service were probably revenue and welfare. But not all of their employees would have been working on covid payments and schemes, so those that didn't should be excluded from any bonus. In fact I'd say a lot of them sat on their arses. They each employ about 7,000 people so no way they all worked on covid relief. However, those who did push through those new schemes so swiftly deserve something.

But what did the department of public reform do, or opw, or foreign affairs, or enterprise and employment, or tourism, or agriculture...etc etc. Most of them should have been on the pup in reality but now a bonus? FFS. No.

As for the wider public service? Teachers? Nope, I did their work for a few months as well as my own and even got snippy replies from one saying not to email him after 2.45pm, being his regular finish up time.... unreal sheltered attitude.

All guards and nurses? Nope. Some, for sure. Prison officers, yes. Local authorities? Lol.... some of these were probably transferred to do contact tracing etc cos the day job ceased to be, so no extra payment deserved there. Defence forces, no.

Irish water... Jesus there are people literally doing nothing there and pulling a wage... still.

Populist shite this idea, backed up by sickening unions... my corner shop minimum wage employees were my heroes. Feck the civil and public service slackers leeching off the few in there who did work harder.

There are approximately 330,000 civil and public service employees (30k civil and 300k public). How many did essential work? 10% max would be my guess, yet they all want a slice? Jesus wept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

For the hope that the front line medical staff (Doctors, Nurses, Health Care Assistants, Hospital Cleaners, Reception Staff etc.) might still be working there when we need them ourselves could we not all just agree they had it harder than anybody else during the lockdown, did heroic work and deserve to be rewarded for it, give them a decent one off bonus that'd cover the price of the holiday they and their family could well do with and pat ourselves on the back for having done the right thing instead of clamouring for "our share" of the mythical pie?

If a few nurses that happened to be allocated to quieter than normal wards uring the pandemic benefit for the sake of keeping the admin simple who gives a ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Do you not know that what private hospitals was used for or not in the first wave was down to HSE Management, not nursing or other healthcare workers?!

Also if you are going to start a thread it might help to do a bit of research so that you understand what you are ranting about!... Nurses and Gardaí are not CIVIL servants, they are PUBLIC servants.

Very surprised at your claim to work in a hospital given this level of ignorance?

It really only matters to a few posters, to the rest of us, it’s just a misnomer, we all get the gist of his/her post.

Again, not the point!

Any body claiming to work in a hospital should know the difference and would not be making or supporting some of the ignorant comments that have been made here.

Blaming hospital staff for the cock up over private hospitals is another obvious clanger.

I don't believe the poster is genuine.

Claiming the hospitals ' were never so quiet', is another load of..... Usually claimed by rabid anti maskers/ Covid deniers.

It was all a myth was it?

Most of us who worked our asses off through this know what we did and how bad it was, unless you were in a private hospital somewhere or some local hospital down the country that didn't see too much Covid.

But even they were few and far between from January this year on.

Thankfully it is not a decision for a few online posters but one that wil or not be made by the government, based on a little more data than tiktok videos or social media, as some here appear to base their viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭cms88

I'll take it you're a nurse then? Not happy with anyone who doesn't fall over themselves to tell you how great you are?

Plenty of others worked hard the last 18 months who'll never get any thanks for it. Yet once again some nurses think they're the only ones who did anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

check Trolley watch figures for January this year and Jan last year so. Pandemic this year.

Healthcare here for the last 30 years....theirs no excuse for it. 885,189 on waiting list now...obviously it's run by idiots paid 100,000e a year but the staff in there have let this carry on for decades and just getting worse.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/more-than-100000-children-now-waiting-on-essential-hospital-care-40528766.html

Yes . No just the disrespect as another poster put it .

I have never claimed that others didn't work hard . Many did and deserve recognition like civil servants in revenue , social welfare and health .

Also essential retail have my eternal gratitude , and am glad that they ( some ) have gotten well deserved bonuses . They all should.

• Advertisement

Gosh you are really disingenuous.

Why do you think that trolleys weren't packed in Jan 2021?

And mismanagement of Health Service would be down to HSE , not nurses or doctors or healthcare workers . I consider HSE managers as non healthcare workers by the way . Also it is down to them and the government along with those managing health services all over the world to sort waiting lists , way above my pay grade !

And you claim to be working in a hospital ? I really don't believe anybody could work in a hospital and know so little , unless you have just started and somehow been wfh all through this ?

As you said , quite rudely , to a genuine poster .." put up your payslip !"

Of course I have no interest in who you are , really , so that is rhetorical ...

Advertisement