Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As announced by Netflix on Saturday at their inaugural “TUDUM” global fan event

Ahhhh. I was about to ask what was with the sudden glut of trailers in the last few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just came on looking for a thread on this - classed as an horror and half way thru episode 3 there is no horror but hints of something but nevertheless I am strangely intrigued and binging the series

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Man of Steel (2013)

Escape Plan: The Extractors (2019)

The Emoji Movie (2017)

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭al87987

The Neil Blomkamp shorts from Oats Studio are well worth a watch for anyone who enjoyed District 9.

I hope to see one or two of them made into a feature length film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Binging on it too, it's well written and thought provoking, not what I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Squid Game is mighty good..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,442 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I see virgin river has gotten a further two seasons so that’ll be five seasons. I started the third season but didn’t get very far as it has started to go full American show saccharine carry on. Did anyone here watch the full season ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

How similar (or not) is it to Alice in Borderland? (if you watched that) Looks very similar from the trailer

Not long finished AiB, and enjoyed it, but I don't think I'd want to watch something too similar so soon

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I see it's "#1 in Ireland" today (and yesterday) on Netflix. Not sure how much it takes to get to that position, but it's a good one for a foreign-language show and may be a broader sign of how well it's doing. It's on our list although, like with Electric Nitwit above, we're wondering how similar it is to the sadistic but fun "Alice in Borderland".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not seen AiB.. but Squid Game is just an easy watch and fast paced fun. Full of unlikable characters but probably the point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,098 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’m enjoying Squid Game plenty. It’s not exactly blindingly original, but it is a lively take on the now familiar battle royale genre. Looks great in Dolby Vision too - big primary colours and limited CG (so far anyway).

Also noticed it’s first in the charts, which is refreshing to see for any foreign language content - especially with a big release like Sex Education alongside it. But then again Netflix’s charting system is less than transparent so lord knows if it’s actually accurate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Yeah, Squid Game is an enjoyable enough watch. Different type of show, but worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

If you enjoyed Squid Game, definitely watch Alice in Borderland! I much preferred AiB

• Registered Users Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm almost finished it but very annoyed we still won't know who did the thing at the end of season 2 until next season. All of season 3, no answers. Have to wait for season 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,271 ✭✭✭Damien360

I'm late to the party but Squid game is well worth a watch. Watched it subtitled with original Korean speech. Except for one single episode (which was overacted muck) it was fantastic.

Watched Schmacher last night. Even if you have no interest in F1 (I like it), it was a very good delve into the mans private life pre accident. Nothing post accident and I think that was a good choice.

Just finished Midnight Mass, brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭spuddy4711

Don’t miss On becoming a God in Central Florida.

Attack of the Hollywood Clichés! - (Charlie Brooker) One-man armies, meet-cutes, casual strolls away from huge explosions -- stars and industry insiders toast and roast these cinematic chestnuts and more.

So Help Me God - (Portuguese) Documentary and fiction blur in this portrait of Perpera Surui, a former shaman made redundant by the evangelization of Brazil's Pater Surui tribe

Its the royals thrash day

Prince Harry's Story: Four Royal Weddings - Featuring commentary from royal sources and experts, this documentary explores Prince Harry's life before marriage through the prism of major events

The Royal Wives of Windsor - This docuseries examines the lives and impact of eight women who married into the British royal family, from the Queen Mother to Meghan Markle

Meghan & Harry: A Royal Baby Story - This documentary delves into the former Meghan Markle's first year of married life with Prince Harry, and the lead-up to their first child's birth.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 31,853 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Really excellent show same it was cancelled :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,309 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix dropped some data.

Viewer accounts.

Viewer Hours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What region is that for? Am surprised to see both Lupin and Sweet Tooth in the top ten, especially to the former rank at #2. Though counting anything over 2 minutes as "watched" seems more than a little generous.

The films make interesting reading, 'cos if I'm not mistaken its top 2 were both "Lockdown" films, both coming out when everything had closed & there were literally no new releases. I think a few of the others are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Bird Box is 2018 so a fair amount of time before Lockdown.

Oh? Fair enough. Could have sworn it came out then but my sense of time has gone all whacky from the last 2 years of limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Birdbox is a weird one that seemed to catch on in popular culture, you'd notice jokes being made about it in comedies etc. Haven't seen that with other Netflix stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I enjoyed Midnight Mass too. I found it extremely engrossing and very well acted all around. It also features a character that reminded me a lot of Mrs Carmody from The Mist. A person who is totally detestable but one you love-to-hate.

The biggest criticism I have is that some of the characters have really long speeches, which isn't necessary an issue, but the dialog sometimes doesn't sound anything like what a person would actually say. Especially one scene where two characters are talking about death which sounds like they are just reciting a theology poem rather than two characters actually talking.

The Chestnut Man Season 1 (Danish) - At a grisly murder scene sits a figurine made of chestnuts. From this creepy clue, two detectives hunt a killer linked to a politician's missing child

Modern Family Season 9 - This Emmy-winning sitcom follows Jay Pritchett and his eclectic family as they deal with the challenges of contemporary life in Los Angeles.

MeatEater Season 5 Hunter, author, cook and conservationist Steven Rinella treks into the world's most remote, beautiful regions, bringing game meat from field to table

Peppa Pig: Festival of Fun - Peppa and George attend a children's festival, celebrate Grandpa's birthday at a restaurant, and go to the cinema

Friendzone (French) - Hopeful romantic Thibault believes his luck could change when sparks fly between him and Rose. But can he go from bestie to boyfriend?.

No One Gets Out Alive - Desperate and without documentation, a woman from Mexico moves into a rundown Cleveland boardinghouse. Then the unsettling cries and eerie visions begin

Sounds Like Love ( Spanish) - Just as Maca's career reaches an inflection point, the enigmatic ex who broke her heart reappears in Madrid and she turns to her friends for support

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 31,853 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Like the sound of the chestnut man...will check that out I think!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well this is interesting : according to Deadline , 'Squid Game' may be on track to be the highest viewership of any Netflix series, including the likes of 'Bridgerton' and 'Stranger Things'. It hit #1 in 90 countries in just a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭archfi

^This

I binged it but at least once per episode I had to fast forward the excessively long speeches.

Overall, the premise was enjoyable.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Advertisement