Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You know Xmas is slowly coming over the horizon when Netflix starts promoting its shovelware Xmas movies. My wife will be delighted 😂

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Netflix are surprisingly bad at making these bad Christmas films. The charm of the Lifetime style ones is how cheap they are, and how the female lead is vaguely recognisable from playing a teen in something 20 years ago, and it's clearly Vancouver in the summer pretending to be New York in the winter. Netflix throws too much money at them, and they end up just being bad films. The Knight Before Christmas being the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I sooner have genital warts for life than succumb to this malarkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Bad sports is excellent , binged all 6 episodes yesterday. Definitely one fans of the untold, last chance U etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

Succinct and accurate.

My wife and I are still laughing over how brutal this was. And the CGI special effects in chase/fight scenes just felt so fake. We started it late enough that it was just too late to switch it off and put on something else, on a friday night.

Really really bad without ever crossing the "so bad its kinda good/funny" line. Just bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Isn't this an adaptation of an episode of Father Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I may as well say it.

Is he looking for a Princess Bride?

What I learned from the films on the likes of Christmas24 is if you arrive in a town looking to fire people from their jobs, you'll end up falling in love with someone as well as with the town and its people

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Or indeed if you're an uptight city gal, with only eyes for your career; you'll invariably fall in love with small-town life and the conveniently handsome, available fireman/architect/doctor. Bonus points if he runs some quaint little book store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

We finished The Chestnut Man last night. Really enjoyed it, would definitely recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Not a recommendation but I have a question about 4K on Netflix and can find no other suitable thread.

I have a 4K AppleTV (but until now I haven’t had a 4K TV or sufficient speed to stream 4K) but the info page for each title on the Netflix tvOS app would still show what titles were available in 4K and what were only HD.

I didn’t have time to look at anything before work but I noticed that the 4K logo wasn’t appearing on any info page that it used to show on - for example Lost in Space.

Does the Netflix app think my connection speed is not good enough? Or is the 4K logo gone because my speed is good and 4K is the standard so isn’t tagged anymore?

• Advertisement

They must be making money from them if they keep making them.

I generally don’t bother with them but watched the Princess one because Liv from iZombie was in it and the rich wild child sent to dad’s home town with Clark from The 100 because she was in it.

The were not remotely imaginative or even good and the supporting cast is abysmal but I couldn’t help liking them.

I have tried others but don’t last to even five minutes - Bjorn from Vikings is one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And he's a single father. I think I've seen more of these films than I would like to admit.

Only Netflix Christmas films I've watched were the Christmas Chronicles films and Klaus

• Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sounds crap 99% of the time but is also the plot of the excellent "Brassed Off"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭archfi

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Into the Night is way more entertaining, gripping and character rich than a premise that silly has any right to be. What also helps is it has 6 episode seasons, with each episode about 35 minutes; there's not an ounce of flab in the pacing as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I thought Midnight Mass was terrible, I only finished it because I liked the two previous mini series by the same crew.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The first two episodes are a good yardstick for what to expect in terms of pacing and character/story.

I really liked it myself, but if you get to two episodes in and you're not enjoying it, watch something else instead :) Life's too short to keep watching things you aren't enjoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Pokemon: The Movie: Secrets of the Jungle – Tune in for adventure as Ash and Pikachu encounter the Mythical Pokémon Zarude and overcome the danger that threatens the jungle.

The Lighthouse – Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson are brilliantly unnerving in this clammy, claustrophobic horror.

Pretty Smart Season 1 - Book-smart Chelsea discovers she has a lot to learn about happiness when she's forced to move in with her bubbly sister and three roommates.

House of Secrets: The Burari Deaths Limited Series - Suicide, murder... or something else? This docuseries examines chilling truths and theories around the deaths of 11 members of a Delhi family

A Tale Dark & Grimm Season 1 - Follow Hansel and Gretel as they walk out of their own story into a winding and wickedly witty tale full of strange -- and scary -- surprises

My Brother, My Sister (Italian) - When their father's will forces them to live together, siblings Nik and Tesla -- and Tesla's kids -- try to overcome their differences to become a family

Family Business Seasons 3 (French) - After learning France is about to legalize pot, a down-on-his-luck entrepreneur and his family race to turn their butcher shop into a marijuana café

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I enjoyed Midnight Mass but that Holly Holy song is like an ear worm in my head ever since !!

• Advertisement

Yes of course :)

I have discovered since posting that several titles have the 4K logo but others that are 4K do not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

But not everything is available in 4K or am I missing your point? I’m not sure if my Netflix shows 4K logo beside movies. Maybe it’s different versions of the app? I use mine on an LG smart TV

I know that not everything is available in 4K - I’m talking about content that is is available in 4K.

My device is an AppleTV 4K and is supposed to show the logos for HD, 4K etc

the 4K is missing from some.

I should have added above that I’ve contacted Netflix support and the agent said it was a known issue but then a minute later said it wasn’t. His English was not great so I don’t know if it is a glitch or something

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I binged S1 last night, it's an easy one to do really, but I didn't know going in there was 2 seasons! Which makes sense considering ... will get on S2 tonight maybe, tis pretty good/original - made sure to do this one with original voice audio and subs, made the mistake with squid game.

I've started watching Maid and I've only watched 2 eps but I'm liking it so far. I'm not sure about Margaret Qualley as an actress though. Can't decide if she's making acting choices or just kind of bland. Also, the actress playing Danielle does the voice for Adora in Shere, which is kind of wild, she sounds so different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I haven't watched Maid nor did I know Margaret Qualley was in but given she's the daughter of Andie MacDowell I'm tempted to say the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've one episode left and I think it's excellent (although there are a few moments that don't land quite so well). I've become more and more impressed with both Qualley and MacDowell as the season progresses.

Yeah, I've never been impressed by McDowell, although I don't think Qualley is as bad as that, I'm just not sure yet why she's the lead. But she's not awful or ruining it or anything.

Yeah there's times where I think she's doing something and others where she's a bit "go girl, give us nothing" . But I'm liking it anyway. I loved the legal legal legal court scene, and the shot of the other women on their phones at the end of the street in ep2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Blue Period Season 1 (Japanese) Bored with life, popular high schooler Yatora Yaguchi jumps into the beautiful yet unrelenting world of art after finding inspiration in a painting

The Last Black Man in San Francisco - Weary of watching his gentrified city slip out of reach, Jimmie decides to live the dream and move into his grandfather's majestic home with his pal

Now You See Me 2 - With a new member in the fold, the Four Horsemen use their power of illusion in a heist involving a shady tycoon and revolutionary tech device.

Added

Advertisement