Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Finished Sparta today. I never paricularly wanted to be a teacher, i really don't want to be one now. Great watch despite some clunkiness with the time jumps. Very grim, belongs possibly in the walter presents range on 4od

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I watched clickbait till the end there is some good episodes "the reporter" and "the brother" are good, it starts well but by the end I was glad it was over, I didn't find the ending worth the wait and the sister never gets any better the whole way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Netflix is ****.

Name one tv series that has made a proper ending.

We are signing on the McDonald s Euro menu

It's content

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Netflix is **** ..... searched for it, but can't find it. Any good?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Women and the Murderer – This documentary follows a police chief and a murder victim’s mother in their unflagging efforts to find and prosecute a serial killer in 1990s Paris.

LA’s Finest: Season 2 – Two cops take on the city’s most dangerous criminals while trying to leave their complicated pasts behind in this spinoff of the Bad Boys franchise.

Metal Shop Masters: Season 1 – On this competition show, a group of metal artists torch, cut and weld epic creations from hardened steel.

Prey – A hiking trip into the wild turns into a desperate bid for survival for five friends on the run from a mysterious shooter.

1917 –Sam Mendes’ visceral WWI thriller is as heart-wrenching as it is jaw-dropping.

Lucifer: Season 6 –All bad things must come to an end…

Surge – This riveting, alarming race through one man’s breakdown is a remarkable showcase for Ben Whishaw.

Kate – Slipped a fatal poison on her final job, a ruthless assassin working in Tokyo has less than 24 hours to find out who ordered the hit and exact revenge

Dead Donkeys Fear No Hyenas - This documentary examines the controversy over foreign investment in Ethiopian commercial farmlands, where economic development has a human cost

Here Are the Young Men - Fresh out of high school, four Dublin teens spiral down into a world of ultraviolence and self-destruction as they binge on a first taste of freedom.

Ode to Joy - Living with a rare condition that makes him pass out when he's happy, a man resigned to boredom falls -- literally -- for a free-spirited woman

TRY (Spanish) - Reunited in New York after years apart, two best friends must face what they've left behind in Spain and how time has shifted their friendship

Zombieland: Double Tap - Amid family drama and flesh-eater battles, the zombie-slaying foursome returns, encountering more survivors and a new breed of the undead

Look Beyond - Dedicated to inspiring athletes with disabilities, this doc details the life of rugby player Ian McKinley, who has one eye, and his brother Phil

Paranormal Activity 4

Added

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Oh good, might take a punt on Kate tonight and see if it delivers, it's a promising setup and MEW is good whenever she's got anything to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Watched Ben is Back last night. Thought it was a pretty decent portrayal of living with addiction with Julia Roberts putting in a stellar performance as the mum. 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I enjoyed Clickbait actually, it didn't seem to get great reviews but a few on here suggested it and I found it very watchable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I only watched the first episode of Clickbait; it's trash and the Netflix equivalent of a pulpy airport novel, so sledging it feels a little redundant. It isn't remotely high art, whether it's actually entertaining mind you ... 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Co written comedies aside don't think much of Mckay myself yet anyway. Big Short was fine but that's about it ,Vice was utter trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Worth is excellent

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I stuck this on earlier and was glad I did, it was a pretty good Friday night watch. It's roughly Crank (without the edgelord humour) by way of Atomic Blonde. The action is pretty crunchy and well-choreographed, without too much artifice or shakycam nonsense to get in the way.

The narrative is nothing ground-breaking, but Winstead, Harrelson and Miku Martineau (who plays the kid) all do a good enough job with what they're given that you're along for the ride. The pace is good and there's little padding or flab - the running time is 105 minutes but a good 10 mins at the end is credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Ya.... it’s True Movies type of story. Bit like Marmite

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

For Last chance u fans there's a basketball version out that is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Was disappointed overall with the latest season of money heist. Last episode was good but in general over the 5 episodes there was little story, no great twists and far too much shoot-ups and explosions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I saw the Danish film on Netflix not sure if is still on. It was a really good story so looking forward to the Gyllenhaal version.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Clickbait was passable up until the final episode when the 'whodunnit' is revealed.

It's one of those reveals where it's a character you've seen for all of 3 seconds previously, a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Late to the party but Untold: Malice at the Palace is a fantastic documentary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Agreed, it's a decent flick, some nice fight scenes and the perfect accompaniment to a Friday night on the couch with a few beers!

You vs. Wild: Out Cold :(interactive) After a plane crash leaves Bear Gryls with amnesia, he must make choices to save the missing pilot and survive in this high-stakes interactive adventure

The World’s Most Amazing Vacation Rentals: Season 2 -With an eye for every budget, three travelers visit vacation rentals around the globe and share their expert tips and tricks in this reality series.

Jack Whitehall: Travels with My Father: Season 5 – Jack and Michael Whitehall return with the fifth — and final! — season of Travels With My Father, and this time it’s the greatest journey of all: a tour of their homeland, the United Kingdom. From a dinner with Gordon Ramsay, piloting a spitfire and a search for the Loch Ness monster, it’s the last epic trip for the father/son duo.

A StoryBots Space Adventure - Join the StoryBots and the space travelers of the historic Inspiration4 mission as they search for answers to kids' questions about space

Time After Time - After getting dumped by his girlfriend, a teenage physics genius travels back in time to fix his relationship, one mistake at a time

Kiri - The death of a vulnerable young foster child in Bristol sends ripples through the community and raises questions about blame, guilt and innocence..

Bloodbath At The House Of Death (1984) - Six scientists face batty situations and cheesy satanic priests as they bumble through a manor where 18 people were mysteriously killed one night

Prisoners of the Lost Universe (1983) - Transported to a medieval land with mythical creatures and savage warlords, three people must use their wits and 1980s technology to return home

Killing Dad (1989) - Denholm Elliott stars as the unfortunate titular character in this comedy about a grown man who decides to knock off the dad who abandoned him 23 years earlier

Added

A Dutch ww2 epic is coming out in October; was postponed cos of CoVid but getting it's international distribution via Netflix. Could be of interest for fans of the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mike_cork

For any scandi noir fans on here.

I have 2 Icelandic tv show recommendations:

The Valhalla murders on Netflix

Trapped on prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Watched Kate with the gf at the weekend. As discussed nothing in the plot was groundbreaking but we both really liked it. A v v solid watch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brevity

Schumacher - Through exclusive interviews and archival footage, this documentary traces an intimate portrait of seven-time Formula 1 champion Michael Schumacher

Nightbooks - Scary story fan Alex must tell a spine-tingling tale every night -- or stay trapped with his new friend in a wicked witch's magical apartment forever

Too Hot To Handle: Latino Season 1- On this reality show, singles from Latin America and Spain are challenged to give up sex. But here, abstinence comes with a silver lining: US$100,000.

Man on Fire (2004) - A jaded ex-CIA operative reluctantly accepts a job as the bodyguard for a 10-year-old girl in Mexico City and will stop at nothing when she's kidnapped

Robot Overlords - In a future where Earth has been conquered by robots from a distant galaxy, a young man joins a resistance movement to combat the invaders

The Revenant - In the 1820s, a fur trapper struggles for survival to exact retribution against a ruthless mercenary who left him to die along the Missouri River.

Nailed It! Season 6- Home bakers with a terrible track record take a crack at re-creating edible masterpieces for a $10,000 prize. It's part reality contest, part hot mess

UK criminal day

Rise of the Krays -This biopic follows identical twins Reggie and Ronnie Kray, a pair of amateur boxers who eventually become two of England's most feared criminals

Fall of the Krays - In this sequel, an obsessive police officer pursues the Kray twins, who must fight to keep their criminal empire and personal lives from unraveling

Rise of the Footsoldier 3: The Pat Tate Story - In this prequel, small-time criminal Pat Tate climbs the ranks of the Essex criminal underworld and makes dangerous enemies in the process

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Shotcaller is well worth watching. I saw it on Film4 before and it has been recently added to Netflix. GOT guy is almost unrecognisable in it.

Advertisement