Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2021 Round 15:Russian Grand Prix 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Max sounds happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 39,405 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

In fairness McLaren were on the radio to Lando about the rain and Lando just wanted to concentrate on the race which is fine but if the team says it’s time for inters then he needs to listen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

That wasn't brave, that was poor from McLaren, they had all the info and should have been stronger in dictating strategy rather than leaving it all to the guy chasing his first win. Of course he is going to be emotive and plump for the hail mary rather than the sensible call, but it was never the right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,230 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

After starting last, and being nowhere at the mid point, I would be over the moon myself.

Verstappen at the end had his own adventure that wasn't part of the main story. :P

• Advertisement

It's funny, I wouldn't have said either of the top 2 had a great race by their standards until the weather intervened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Bottas ends up P5 after a woeful race.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

100 wins for Hamilton is an incredible achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,230 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Usually you get a crazy result and an unexpected winner/podium after races like that. Merc were tailored to this track so they will be very happy to get the win, regardless of the fashion of it.

Max getting second on the weekend he takes his penalty, yup, he will be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Is it just me of did Lewis give a look back at the red bull pulling into the P2 position with a bit of confusion thinking did Max actually finish 2nd?!? Seemed to take the wind out of his celebration!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Good old Damon Hill, Schumacher still living rent free in his mind, with his dig at Verstappen about wheel to wheel racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

What sort of a question is that to Max - "Quite a reflief to get a clean race under your belt?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I thought as well, he gave it a bit of a stare as if it took a few seconds to realise who it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Damon Hill is awful

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

And yet not ask him about LCL almost taking his wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭thefa

I think that’s the thing about very late rain - gambles can get punished and rewarded massively. Vertsappen didn’t deserve second either. Feel sorry for the likes of Norris and Perez who deserved podiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭McFly85

Hill is adamant that Max is a dirty driver, it’s a dreadful question to be asking someone who finished P2. He’d never ask Lewis that.

Was a really interesting race, devastating for Norris, I thought he had it in the bag!

Hamilton deservedly gets his 100th win, Mercedes team was faultless today.

Red Bull will be happy though, new PU and virtually no penalty. Roll on Turkey!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,405 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It was a stupid question. Craig slater tried to get Lewis to bite on a max question yesterday and to be fair to Lewis he didn’t take the bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,442 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ah seb, you were cutting through the field on drys and then left it too late for inter, stroll not doing him any favours lately.

Obviously Hamilton and Mercedes will be delighted with the result but max getting p2 from p20 will definitely sour it somewhat. You'd imagine it's advantage red bull with a fresh engine in the back and they were saying on sky there's rumours around the paddock that Lewis will have to take a new PU by thr end of the season.

For lando, its a gut punch and he'll have to learn from it too, you have to trust your team on the pit wall. All in all, as good a race as you'll get in sochi, the season will go down as a great one in the history books.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I disagree, Max passed a lot of cars before the rain. These were not all slow cars either.

He went from last into the points very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

All forgiven Russia for this year. I don't know where to begin. Lando Norris was brilliant it was his race , but I think the inexperience here caught him , he should have come in the lap after Hamilton pitted he would have been defending a podium at least then . Very disappointed for him .

After a terrible start form Hamilton and I was like the commentators thinking Max had made so much places Hamilton was on his list . But after Riccardo pitted Hamilton was flying . He really did drive a great race . He made short work of those between him and Lando.

So many things could have happened .Max was going to lose a place to Leclecre and dropped down to seventh ...was it . And then rain ..and finished P2. And Leclecre falls out of the points .

Brilliant for Sainz to get to podium .

I could write essays . That was excellent entrainment.

Keeps the championship close .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I reckon the race was lost for Norris as soon as the rain arrived. Even if he boxed at the right time, he would have got caught by Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Wow what an end to that race. Feel for Norris but his time will come soon. Still unsure how Max made up all those places, just chose the perfect time to put.

The (pre-rain) moment the race was won in my opinion was Lewis' call to box, and Ricciardo's slow pit stop. Ricc comes out ahead of Ham things would be completely different. Moments like that remind me what I love about F1.

Now to get some work done so I can relax and watch Indy later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Not sure, they both box and he comes out ahead. I can't see Hamilton taking a risk to pass him in those conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

It is genuinely strange to see a comment here about how great this race was. Usually just fanboys sniping at drivers they don't like. I agree Lando was brilliant today and I felt so bad seeing him lose control. He will learn from this just like Lewis did in 2007 and become a better driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Lando and Hamilton were 30sec plus ahead of Sainz/Perez before the rain so they had a huge time advantage to a judge the rain impact . Even Lando had time to keep at least P2 if he waited the lap longer than Hamilton , I'm not sure why the pit wall couldn't convince him it was a fools errand staying out the points risk against Ferrari was too valuable . Pity, in the dry McLaren again had the race on merit .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think the only way he wins it would be deciding to pit ahead of Hamilton. It would have been interesting to see what if Hamilton would have done had that happened, would he have gambled on staying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ireallydontknow

Agree with the sentiment expressed a few times here that McLaren almost entirely to blame for failing to bring Norris in. They gave Norris no indication that the conditions were set to worsen, instead asking him what he thought of the conditions, implying the only factor was whether he could continue to manage with the conditions as they were. Norris was getting increasingly agitated with communications from his engineer and was clearly not in a position to make a considered judgement about the conditions. With Mercedes having called Hamilton in a lap earlier, it should have been an easy call for McLaren to make.

In exchange for the Norris win, I'll take the Verstappen 2nd place. But the ideal would have been Norris pitting and Hamilton deciding to stay out and being fcuked over by the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I really think F1, Liberty, Sky etc need to improve the way they communicate information about what is happening on track.

They give us plenty of useless data, lots of kind of crap analysis. There is definitely opportunities for them to tell stories more effectively.

I know it happens very quickly etc, but if Im being honest I've no idea what happened in the top ten over the last six laps other than Lando and Lewis. It just seemed to be unexplainable chaos with crofty shouting at us. When actually they have a lot of tools to tell us what cohorts have pitted first and what tires they are on. Simplify the interface, no need to give us actual laptimes, just give us a heat map that visualises their speed relative to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fe1ki5

I don't think it's up for negotiation - Max IS a dirty racer - hes taken more cars out in his short career than Alonso and Hamilton combined!! Hill rightly called him out at Monza for tactically taking out Lewis with him - all fun and games until someone gets a car bounced off their head.

Advertisement