Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards GS V Reps Ryder Jug 2021. Druids Glen. 16 OCT. 11AM.

• 23-09-2021 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Well Golfers.

My last official act as Captain 2021 is almost upon us.

The annual team matchplay against The Reps society played for our own Ryder Jug.

Due to all that went on over the past 2 seasons, Ex Captain Benny79 is like Shane Lowry having the jug in his possession since 2019. I hope he knows where he put it.

Competition was strong as always for the top ten places even though we had to tweak the qualfiying rules over the past 2 seasons. I think we have as strong a team as ever.

WELL DONE TO ALL WHO QUALIFIED. My picks are Alanm who was a close 11th and Incoming Captain FixdePitchmark.

Commiserations to all who came close. We will have a full schedule next season so it's all to play for. It a great competition to keep you focused all season and a strong finish to the season. When you experience this team event once you will want to be involved every year.

So without further ado my team for The Ryder Jug 2021 is. [DRUM ROLL PLEASE]

CHARLIEIRL

SLAVE1

SPACECOYOTE

SEVEOB

BREAK80

OFFALYMEDIC

A POST PUNK

BENNY79

BALLYK

ROADRUNNER

Well done once again. The Reps can't remember what the jug looks like. We will keep it that way shall we?

Talk soon.

BREAK80

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Great event

great team

great course

great picks

great captain

really looking forward to this one

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Boards expects victory...

Do not let us down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Yes, this is the big one! It's been a long time since we last played it too. I'm so excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Yeah, we couldn't squeeze it in on my year, so i assume that means my year counts as a win and retention?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭a post punk

2nd time ever to qualify ,can’t wait for the team atmosphere 👏🏻👏🏻Boards GS Abu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

thrilled to qualify and can’t wait for match play team event!

Bit like this one

We got them a few years ago, so could be worth considering a few new ones. Not sure who sorted them originallu, probably Seve

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I actually have one those sitting at home. It's a small fit but if someone wants it they can have as it doesn't fit me anymore

It was Seve’s year yeah. I had one but lost among 3 house moves.

Probably unlikely to be able to get new ones at this point. Primarily we want everyone wearing a blue top, if they don't have a boards one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Best of luck Jug heads - I was really surprised I didn't get a captains pick after playing Army Golf with the captain in West Waterford! Hoping to make a roaring return to the Boards Society in '22.

A Post Punk had offered me the lucrative gig of caddying this year in Druids Glen however I am not sure I would go caddying over my daughters communion.... maybe if I had gotten a pick.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What awaits...

..and that's just the par 3s (no pictures of the last par 3, too scary)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Its a great course, with some very nice par 3's. The 17th is missing above, and thats a cracking hole. Very tough last hole as well, long par 4 with plenty of trouble near the green.

Enjoy lads.

I trialed blue this weekend. Took it straight on the course, no break-in period. Worked well and gained a couple of extra yards. Playing partner didn't comment on it but sometimes you just know that someone's jealous of your shirt.

I can't remember if there's a driving range at druids glen?

not Sure but don’t think so. However there might be one up at the Heath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Who are Reps?

2 putting greens and nets at the course itself.

There is a driving range over by the hotel, a little bit away from the Glen club house. Possibly have to get the tokens at the Heath clubhouse, not 100% on that

They are open for food but will need covid cert to eat indoors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭whizbang

Tokens always available in Hotel reception, but the ballmachine has been out of order recently.

If so, you need to get your balls in Clubhouse.

Top tracer range in greystones. About 10 minutes away

The rumour is that one time in the early days of boards outings there was a course scheduling issue meaning we were double booked with another society consisting of sales reps. A ryder cup style comp was suggested by someone and we now square off against each other each year. It's the key event of the year, it's always at a marquee course it's importance in the golfing year is unrivalled. Other rumours I've heard are that they are the oldest society in the country. If anyone can fill in the gaps here it would be helpful. Basically, for no good reason, they are our bitter rivals and we hate them (they are actually great craic).

I heard that they used to have a similar match against another society who left them high and dry one year and they turned to boards to find a suitable replacement match. It might have been the first year of the boards golf society and the organisers at the time jumped on it and it's been rolled over ever since!

but I don't really know.... some of the older members would perhaps know, I'm looking at you CharlieIRL and you Ballyk

Seve's story sounds right. One of their lads is a user on boards and I believe thats how the original contact was made?

But yes, the society historians will have the full story

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

That’s correct Steve. They are indeed the oldest society in Ireland and any of the lads I played against are all very nice lads.

they were let down one year and Keano stepped in and agreed we would get 12 lads from

here to play them, it was first come, first serve that year and it’s thankfully continued and developed every year since.

Some great banter and friendly rivalry to finish the society year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Plus it gives you something to aim for as making the team is an achievement in itself!

• Advertisement

Especially when theres nothing else to play for since @charlieIRL just wins everything else 😭

looks like it might get a bit wet on saturday so make sure o pack the rain gear folks

This day 9 years ago we played the Reps in Mount Wolseley.

won 4-2.

can’t wait for Saturday!!

edit correct date added.

Post edited by charlieIRL on

Time for ye to up your game and try stop me from going three in a row!! 🤣

12 years ago!!!!!!

I wasn’t there, but I don’t think so

2012 maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yiz better win! I didn't intentionally drop out of the top 10 for boards to go and lose this year 😐️

We'll be doing our best. Looking for a clean sweep of wins 😉

We're going to try post some updates here during the day to keep the rest of the society up to date with the matches as they progress

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Snackbox20

Evening all,

Hoping you are all well.

Just wanted to wish the Ryder Jug team the very best of luck in their match v the reps at Druids Glen.

Plenty of this tomorrow;

🙂🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Break80

Hi Golfers.

Tomorrow We take on The Reps for The Ryder Jug. We have a whatsapp group set up for the last few weeks and you wouldn't believe the amount of practice going on with this team. The level of commitment is amazing.

I want to thank ye all for all the work put in. I know it is going to pay off tomorrow. I can't see a weak link in any of the pairings.

This is my last official act as captain. I just want to thank everyone again for your support and company throughout the year.

I have memories which will last forever.

My next post will be congratulating ye all on a great win over the Reps tomorrow.

BREAK 80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Best of luck Captain Break80 and all the team tomorrow in the jug! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Any updates from the Match ?????

Unfortunately we lost Macker.

The end result was 4-2 against a very well prepared and strong Reps team made up of mutliple member and former members of Druids Glen, so they had almost a home field advantage

Myself and Break80 won our match well. We were never down or even all square at any point with the Captain winning the first.

Was a good day out, but things were a bit slow, and the course rangers were at points a bit aggressive with some of the groups.

Will let the others fill in on their matches. Wasn't the result we wanted but well played everyone. There were some tough pairings to go up against.

Myself and roadrunner brought up the rear. Funny story, my best mate took up golf in the last year and through his work got mixed up with the reps. I played 9 with him the other day and 18 last week! When we realised we were both drawn opposite each other I felt it was kind of like the last group in the solheim cup this year where the Americans caddy was the Europeans boyfriend!

Anyway, neither roadrunner nor myself were really on our game today after bad nights sleep! But match play is funny. I think we both had considerably better points scores than each of our opposition, yet while we’re were a bit more consistent, our opposition got off to a quick start winning the first 2. We took control then and we’re 2 up through 8, but it was tight. I think the slow game affected us more than the lads at that point and they won the next 3! It was swings and roundabouts after that and we found ourselves 1 down going up 18. A sliced drive left me with no option other than a lay up and after my buddy hit his 3rd into the water and I found the green it was a fair half point.

well done to the Reps on a solid win today.

next year fix will have the snowman drinking from the jug ⛄️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Disappointing end to a great year and a great day. The Reps definitely came well prepared for the match (including a practice round 😲). It was clear from the off, they meant business (as they had lost 4 in a row) and with their good scoring with shots, it was hard to keep hold of them from the off in our match. The match was played in great spirit and fun.

Played reasonably ok myself - but found the greens tricky as they were simply too slow with the sand on them. Myself and Benny had good fun , even if on the receiving end of a 5&4 loss. Ben got going in the mid round and made some great saves to keep match going as long as it did.

On the ranger - play was very slow in places - white tees , society golf and players taking it serious, was going to be trouble pace wise. But Druids Glen took the booking knowing it was a Society Ryder Jug in 4 balls- they may have been unrealistic for the groups behind in mid October.

But - there is no doubt there was bad slow play , the ranger was doing his job , but, his frustration was seriously misdirected at times and done in a style that put a bad taste, on what should have been an even better day.

I'm going to Druids Glen 20 years (hotel and course and house) - never walked away with such a bad feeling. If anyone knows me or has played with me - to be told we were too slow - and I may have to leave the course - was an extraordinary moment. I've been around - I know what slow play isn't and is.

Anyway - well done the reps , well deserved. The two guys we played against were gents and serious golfers.

And to finish - thanks a million to break 80, for a very special year ,

when there was darkness, he found light, when there was sadness , he found a laughter, when there was success , he found humility, when there was failure, he found hope,

I hope I can live up to his standards.

well said fix on our Captain and may I echo your thanks to him for the solid year he put in.

no better man to fill his boots, the reigns are yours now!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭technodub

Morning lads,

First off I would like to thank all of the boards team, as usual the event was played in the best of spirits and the levels of golf and competitiveness in all the matches was top level. Just like most years, on the day the better team got the job done.

In relation to the ranger I will be logging a complaint to the head of golf in the resort. As FDPM mentioned the play was very slow but the attitude and snide comments / threats were pathetic. Anybody think they would talk to a member like that in a Barton cup match? 😂 Anyway if anybody has anything in particular they would like me to forward back to the resort I will do it happily.

Bit of a frost around the house this morning as I sent the misses to the spare room and took the cup to bed 😁

I think in his emotional distress spacecoyote must have got his wires crossed on the so called home advantage. We had one member of the Glen who joined in July and no other previous members.... But hey why let the truth get in the way of a good story 😉

Really do appreciate this event and for me and the lads it's the highlight of our society year. Still dreaming of a future two day event with single Sunday 😎

Bring your game faces next year

Great pictures Technodub. We will definitely line up a 2 day battle sometime

CharlieIRL and I were the second to last out. Played against two gentlemen and we all played some great shots here and there, we had one bad hole and other than that all holes were won with pars. Charlie and I were one over for the first three and three down! From there it was a struggle, we got it back to one down but as the shots were not on our side we scummed on the 17th. Chatting about it on the way home there was not much else we could have done as even with pars (1st and 3rd for example) we lost the hole, that meant we needed birdies to half against pars and there were none on the day. Overall a great day out, good course (greens heavily sanded unfortunately) and the rain stayed away.

Well done to all for taking part

Post edited by slave1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Break80

AND NOW HIS WATCH HAS ENDED.

Hi Golfers.

It would have been the perfect end to my year to be posting now as the winning Captain of The Ryder Jug but not to be.

Congratulations to The Reps on a very solid performance. Listening to the feedback after the rounds there wasn't many holes won with bogeys so the standard of golf was top class. Something both teams should be proud of. As always the games are competitive but played in the spirit the game should be played.

Even though I hate them today they are all a nice bunch of lads.

I want to thank my own team for the effort and commitment. Everyone of you qualified though a tough competition all year to be on this team and fully deserved your place on it. There isn't any negatives to take from this only the positive experience of a great day out, a hard fought battle in the company of people who will be friends for life.

Once again I want to thank the lads behind the scenes of this society. The help I got this year was incredible, and I know I speak for all of us when I say Thanks for everything.

Now I will hand over the reigns to our new Captain Fixdepitchmark. I am already looking forward to next year. This man is one in a million without a doubt. I have never seen this man in bad form.

I think that's about it for me Golfers. I have some great memories which will be with me for a long time and I thank each and everyone of you for that.

Talk Soon.

PADRAIG BREAK 80

The ryder jug is a great competition and I really enjoyed making the team this year and being picked to play the final round. However we'll need to keep our attention on pace of play next year. 5:30 for the final fourball group is just too long. This was despite having two separate rangers trying to speed us up! Coming from the tail end of the group I may have a different view.. but they didn't do enough to speed up the groups ahead. Driving away from the course I could see multiple groups trying to make it back in darkness. A final note, my last 36 holes in boards outings have taken a full 11 hours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement