Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards GS V Reps Ryder Jug 2021. Druids Glen. 16 OCT. 11AM.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

looks like it might get a bit wet on saturday so make sure o pack the rain gear folks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

This day 9 years ago we played the Reps in Mount Wolseley.

won 4-2.

can’t wait for Saturday!!

edit correct date added.

Post edited by charlieIRL on

Time for ye to up your game and try stop me from going three in a row!! 🤣

12 years ago!!!!!!

I wasn’t there, but I don’t think so

2012 maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yiz better win! I didn't intentionally drop out of the top 10 for boards to go and lose this year 😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

We'll be doing our best. Looking for a clean sweep of wins 😉

We're going to try post some updates here during the day to keep the rest of the society up to date with the matches as they progress

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Snackbox20

Evening all,

Hoping you are all well.

Just wanted to wish the Ryder Jug team the very best of luck in their match v the reps at Druids Glen.

Plenty of this tomorrow;

🙂🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

Hi Golfers.

Tomorrow We take on The Reps for The Ryder Jug. We have a whatsapp group set up for the last few weeks and you wouldn't believe the amount of practice going on with this team. The level of commitment is amazing.

I want to thank ye all for all the work put in. I know it is going to pay off tomorrow. I can't see a weak link in any of the pairings.

This is my last official act as captain. I just want to thank everyone again for your support and company throughout the year.

I have memories which will last forever.

My next post will be congratulating ye all on a great win over the Reps tomorrow.

BREAK 80

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Best of luck Captain Break80 and all the team tomorrow in the jug! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

Any updates from the Match ?????

Unfortunately we lost Macker.

The end result was 4-2 against a very well prepared and strong Reps team made up of mutliple member and former members of Druids Glen, so they had almost a home field advantage

Myself and Break80 won our match well. We were never down or even all square at any point with the Captain winning the first.

Was a good day out, but things were a bit slow, and the course rangers were at points a bit aggressive with some of the groups.

Will let the others fill in on their matches. Wasn't the result we wanted but well played everyone. There were some tough pairings to go up against.

Myself and roadrunner brought up the rear. Funny story, my best mate took up golf in the last year and through his work got mixed up with the reps. I played 9 with him the other day and 18 last week! When we realised we were both drawn opposite each other I felt it was kind of like the last group in the solheim cup this year where the Americans caddy was the Europeans boyfriend!

Anyway, neither roadrunner nor myself were really on our game today after bad nights sleep! But match play is funny. I think we both had considerably better points scores than each of our opposition, yet while we’re were a bit more consistent, our opposition got off to a quick start winning the first 2. We took control then and we’re 2 up through 8, but it was tight. I think the slow game affected us more than the lads at that point and they won the next 3! It was swings and roundabouts after that and we found ourselves 1 down going up 18. A sliced drive left me with no option other than a lay up and after my buddy hit his 3rd into the water and I found the green it was a fair half point.

well done to the Reps on a solid win today.

next year fix will have the snowman drinking from the jug ⛄️

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Disappointing end to a great year and a great day. The Reps definitely came well prepared for the match (including a practice round 😲). It was clear from the off, they meant business (as they had lost 4 in a row) and with their good scoring with shots, it was hard to keep hold of them from the off in our match. The match was played in great spirit and fun.

Played reasonably ok myself - but found the greens tricky as they were simply too slow with the sand on them. Myself and Benny had good fun , even if on the receiving end of a 5&4 loss. Ben got going in the mid round and made some great saves to keep match going as long as it did.

On the ranger - play was very slow in places - white tees , society golf and players taking it serious, was going to be trouble pace wise. But Druids Glen took the booking knowing it was a Society Ryder Jug in 4 balls- they may have been unrealistic for the groups behind in mid October.

But - there is no doubt there was bad slow play , the ranger was doing his job , but, his frustration was seriously misdirected at times and done in a style that put a bad taste, on what should have been an even better day.

I'm going to Druids Glen 20 years (hotel and course and house) - never walked away with such a bad feeling. If anyone knows me or has played with me - to be told we were too slow - and I may have to leave the course - was an extraordinary moment. I've been around - I know what slow play isn't and is.

Anyway - well done the reps , well deserved. The two guys we played against were gents and serious golfers.

And to finish - thanks a million to break 80, for a very special year ,

when there was darkness, he found light, when there was sadness , he found a laughter, when there was success , he found humility, when there was failure, he found hope,

I hope I can live up to his standards.

well said fix on our Captain and may I echo your thanks to him for the solid year he put in.

no better man to fill his boots, the reigns are yours now!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭technodub

Morning lads,

First off I would like to thank all of the boards team, as usual the event was played in the best of spirits and the levels of golf and competitiveness in all the matches was top level. Just like most years, on the day the better team got the job done.

In relation to the ranger I will be logging a complaint to the head of golf in the resort. As FDPM mentioned the play was very slow but the attitude and snide comments / threats were pathetic. Anybody think they would talk to a member like that in a Barton cup match? 😂 Anyway if anybody has anything in particular they would like me to forward back to the resort I will do it happily.

Bit of a frost around the house this morning as I sent the misses to the spare room and took the cup to bed 😁

I think in his emotional distress spacecoyote must have got his wires crossed on the so called home advantage. We had one member of the Glen who joined in July and no other previous members.... But hey why let the truth get in the way of a good story 😉

Really do appreciate this event and for me and the lads it's the highlight of our society year. Still dreaming of a future two day event with single Sunday 😎

Bring your game faces next year

Great pictures Technodub. We will definitely line up a 2 day battle sometime

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

CharlieIRL and I were the second to last out. Played against two gentlemen and we all played some great shots here and there, we had one bad hole and other than that all holes were won with pars. Charlie and I were one over for the first three and three down! From there it was a struggle, we got it back to one down but as the shots were not on our side we scummed on the 17th. Chatting about it on the way home there was not much else we could have done as even with pars (1st and 3rd for example) we lost the hole, that meant we needed birdies to half against pars and there were none on the day. Overall a great day out, good course (greens heavily sanded unfortunately) and the rain stayed away.

Well done to all for taking part

Post edited by slave1 on

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

AND NOW HIS WATCH HAS ENDED.

Hi Golfers.

It would have been the perfect end to my year to be posting now as the winning Captain of The Ryder Jug but not to be.

Congratulations to The Reps on a very solid performance. Listening to the feedback after the rounds there wasn't many holes won with bogeys so the standard of golf was top class. Something both teams should be proud of. As always the games are competitive but played in the spirit the game should be played.

Even though I hate them today they are all a nice bunch of lads.

I want to thank my own team for the effort and commitment. Everyone of you qualified though a tough competition all year to be on this team and fully deserved your place on it. There isn't any negatives to take from this only the positive experience of a great day out, a hard fought battle in the company of people who will be friends for life.

Once again I want to thank the lads behind the scenes of this society. The help I got this year was incredible, and I know I speak for all of us when I say Thanks for everything.

Now I will hand over the reigns to our new Captain Fixdepitchmark. I am already looking forward to next year. This man is one in a million without a doubt. I have never seen this man in bad form.

I think that's about it for me Golfers. I have some great memories which will be with me for a long time and I thank each and everyone of you for that.

Talk Soon.

PADRAIG BREAK 80

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

The ryder jug is a great competition and I really enjoyed making the team this year and being picked to play the final round. However we'll need to keep our attention on pace of play next year. 5:30 for the final fourball group is just too long. This was despite having two separate rangers trying to speed us up! Coming from the tail end of the group I may have a different view.. but they didn't do enough to speed up the groups ahead. Driving away from the course I could see multiple groups trying to make it back in darkness. A final note, my last 36 holes in boards outings have taken a full 11 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

Ah lads. 5 hours thirty is criminal. I'm often defending people's right to not have to play speed golf on here, but that's an hour longer than a respectable time. There must have been a group in front that lost several holes to the group in front of them.

The ranger should still be polite, but you can't repeat a time like that next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Have to agree, after finally joining a club again, pace of play is still a blight on the game generally.

I've yet to see any amateur play significantly better for playing more slowly and the opposite is generally true. It really is a very selfish thing to do and especially when the days are closing in and everybody just wants to get their round in.

I played in the Irish golfer event yesterday in Powerscourt and was in the last fourball off at 1.30 and after waiting on every shot all the way round had to rush my birdie putt on the last so I could attempt to see the line before darkness. Lipped out and missed 3rd by a point as it happens 😝

I've taken to playing more and more early in the morning when you can get round in a fourball under 4 hours without playing speed golf or running around the course. Sometimes I'm a little too conscious about others playing behind and end up rushing myself to no advantage for anyone, but a lot more of us could do with being a little more cognisant of others on the course. We all just want to get our round in, in a reasonable time without having to constantly wait and lose all rhythm.

Society golf is generally slow and kind of accepted as such, but there has to be a line somewhere as well.

Commiserations on the loss lads, I think I was in the team the last time we lost to the Reps so it was a good run and will hopefully be back stronger next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

First off I like to congratulate Technodub and all the Reps for a well fought victory! a great bunch of lads in fairness! And a contest played in great spirit.

It will make us want it more next year!

On the Ranger issue yes it was slow how I dont know. As we were the 4th group out and keep up with the group in front all the way around. There was a hold up on the 11th (I think) signature par 3 and the 12th index 1. Apart from that are group where moving all the time and we only looked for a ball on the index 1. Are only hold up was the standing row we had with the Ranger as it drove onto the fairway on the 14th as one of the Reps was about to hit. Listen Im playing golf a long time and never experienced a Ranger as been abusive as that. Are match was still live so we didnt say much until he reappeared on the next hole again attacking us all! And we all let him have it..

Its a championship course and 4 balls yes its going to be slow and yes the ranger has a right to come out and move things along but the way he did it was on another level! I can't comment on why there was a hold up as we were flying it and only got held up as I said once. golf wise and more so with the Ranger!

Maybe the white Tees was a bad call. But I won't let it take away from a great day out! Unfortunately myself and Fixdepitchmark were up against it against 2 great golfers in Brian and Stephen I think, who didn't make a mistake all day and played some super golf! They took advantage of the shots when they had them and it was a simple as that. Thanks again to our Captain for a great year in uncertain times and to the Reps until we meet again.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Caddy cart

Five and a half hours for a round of golf. Are ye all mad in the head. Did anyone think of the groups behind? It was a competition between 2 small societies not a European tour event. And 2 rangers trying to speed you up. And somehow it’s there problem. If it was my home course neither society would be let in again.

In terms of the time, unfortunately, it was probably a combo of:

• Tee Choice
    • 4 balls
    • Matchplay
    • Time of year

We were playin off the whites, with society golfers on a big premium venue. It was matchplay with a lot of tight matches. And we're in that awkward time of the year when tree-lined parkland courses are covered in leaves for offline shots which makes a missed fairway a lottery at times and can result in lost time looking for balls.

Our group got around in about 4.45 i would think. We were definitely over the 4.30 but well of 5. It was slow at times alright and I've nonissie woth rangers on the course. We had a member in our group who spoke directly with the ranger when he arrived at our group, coming off the 12th green. He didn't say a lot to us, but from what I heard, his approach was very poor for a lot of the other groups.

I think that, generally, the society has been very good for pace in the last couple of years, really with Enniscrone and then the jug being exceptions. Both times were playing big courses from competition tees so perhaps we do need to bring that into our planning discussions more going forwards.

@technodub i may have a few mix ups in terms of the members numbers on your end, I think a few Heath/former Heath members have been mixed into my Glen numbers...but as you say, why let the truth get in the way of a good story 😉 and we do need any excuse available for a loss!!!

I have to throw my tupence in here

I do agree with space that in general our society has been pretty good in recent years and it is quite rare we see any groups over 4:30.

I do accept that especially at this time of year looking for balls becomes tricky with leaves etc and there will always be some time spent on looking for balls, but when this happens, it is our responsibility to make haste and pick up a bit of speed to get back on the group ahead or call the guys behind through.

Blaming the tees/the course/4 balls/society golf & matchplay is looking for excuses that aren't there. We have to remember as someone once said, we are a society of golfers and not a golfing society because every single member of the boards golf society is or has been a member in a golf club, so we should be better.

The simple fact is that somewhere along the line, some people (I don't know if there were boardsies or reps or a mix) were playing slowly and not keeping up with the group ahead. The slow play certainly affected or match and got to both of us on the 9th tee when we realised we were over 2:30 to play 8 holes and proceeded to wait nearly 10 minutes before we could hit or tee shots on 9.... of course we made a mess of the tee shots and lost the hole 😫

I was in the last group and we waited on nearly every single shot for 14 holes. The ranger gave out to me on the 13th hole and told me to hurry up, while the group in front were on the green! I told him that I too was annoyed at the slow play but pointed out that there was not a lot I could do. He then proceeded to snap the the head off me telling me it was one of our groups who had lost 3 holes ☹️ Anyway his mission was to get the course moving and all be it that his attitude was poor, it was a shame he didn't come out sooner because from the moment we stood on the 15th tee there was no more hold ups

We finished in 5:16 according to my Garmin, which was probably a few minutes long as I didn't turn it off till I was in the car park, so lets call it 5:10, so not quite 5:30, but still to long.

thanks for that 🙄

what do you mean by asking if we are all mad in the head? do you think we went out planning a >5hr hour round?

It was a hold up and when it's ahead of you, there is not a lot you can do about it.

For all I know it was the group out before us who started the bottle neck.

In case you misread, nobody had an issue with the rangers trying to speed us up, it was the attitude of one of them in particular who was to put it nicely, very rude..

I assume you are the manager of your home course that you get to choose who is and who is not welcome back.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Caddy cart

Well, it was the ranger who said it was one of your group who lost 3 holes. Cannot be that hard to find out what 4ball that was. I agree the ranger should not have been rude(no excuse for that) but maybe he was getting dogs abuse from the people behind and the pro shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

If your playing in a society and a group 2 or 3 holes ahead is slow you go to them not every other group! As I said my group was flying it. Are biggest hold up was on 2 holes arguing with the ranger! May I add who didn't see us hit one ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

Absolutely no excuse for the ranger acting the way he did. But a group should never fall 3 holes behind. I don't think there needs to be an inquisition, but the group should be questioning themselves to figure out why they fell that far behind to stop it from happening again.

5 hours 10 is actually a good bit better than 5 hours 30. But I'd still be raging if I was on the course that long. And if I had to finish druids Glen in the dark I'd be really annoyed. I think 4 hours 30 is reasonable enough for a 4 ball in those circumstances.

Advertisement