Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards GS V Reps Ryder Jug 2021. Druids Glen. 16 OCT. 11AM.

Options
  • 23-09-2021 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Well Golfers.

My last official act as Captain 2021 is almost upon us.

The annual team matchplay against The Reps society played for our own Ryder Jug.

Due to all that went on over the past 2 seasons, Ex Captain Benny79 is like Shane Lowry having the jug in his possession since 2019. I hope he knows where he put it.

Competition was strong as always for the top ten places even though we had to tweak the qualfiying rules over the past 2 seasons. I think we have as strong a team as ever.

WELL DONE TO ALL WHO QUALIFIED. My picks are Alanm who was a close 11th and Incoming Captain FixdePitchmark.

Commiserations to all who came close. We will have a full schedule next season so it's all to play for. It a great competition to keep you focused all season and a strong finish to the season. When you experience this team event once you will want to be involved every year.

So without further ado my team for The Ryder Jug 2021 is. [DRUM ROLL PLEASE]

CHARLIEIRL

SLAVE1

SPACECOYOTE

SEVEOB

BREAK80

OFFALYMEDIC

A POST PUNK

BENNY79

BALLYK

ROADRUNNER

Well done once again. The Reps can't remember what the jug looks like. We will keep it that way shall we?

Talk soon.

BREAK80

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Great event

great team

great course

great picks

great captain

really looking forward to this one

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Boards expects victory...

Do not let us down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Yes, this is the big one! It's been a long time since we last played it too. I'm so excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Yeah, we couldn't squeeze it in on my year, so i assume that means my year counts as a win and retention?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭a post punk

2nd time ever to qualify ,can’t wait for the team atmosphere 👏🏻👏🏻Boards GS Abu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

thrilled to qualify and can’t wait for match play team event!

Bit like this one

We got them a few years ago, so could be worth considering a few new ones. Not sure who sorted them originallu, probably Seve

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I actually have one those sitting at home. It's a small fit but if someone wants it they can have as it doesn't fit me anymore

It was Seve’s year yeah. I had one but lost among 3 house moves.

Probably unlikely to be able to get new ones at this point. Primarily we want everyone wearing a blue top, if they don't have a boards one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Best of luck Jug heads - I was really surprised I didn't get a captains pick after playing Army Golf with the captain in West Waterford! Hoping to make a roaring return to the Boards Society in '22.

A Post Punk had offered me the lucrative gig of caddying this year in Druids Glen however I am not sure I would go caddying over my daughters communion.... maybe if I had gotten a pick.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What awaits...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..and that's just the par 3s (no pictures of the last par 3, too scary)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Its a great course, with some very nice par 3's. The 17th is missing above, and thats a cracking hole. Very tough last hole as well, long par 4 with plenty of trouble near the green.

Enjoy lads.

I trialed blue this weekend. Took it straight on the course, no break-in period. Worked well and gained a couple of extra yards. Playing partner didn't comment on it but sometimes you just know that someone's jealous of your shirt.

I can't remember if there's a driving range at druids glen?

not Sure but don’t think so. However there might be one up at the Heath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Who are Reps?

2 putting greens and nets at the course itself.

There is a driving range over by the hotel, a little bit away from the Glen club house. Possibly have to get the tokens at the Heath clubhouse, not 100% on that

They are open for food but will need covid cert to eat indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Tokens always available in Hotel reception, but the ballmachine has been out of order recently.

If so, you need to get your balls in Clubhouse.

Top tracer range in greystones. About 10 minutes away

The rumour is that one time in the early days of boards outings there was a course scheduling issue meaning we were double booked with another society consisting of sales reps. A ryder cup style comp was suggested by someone and we now square off against each other each year. It's the key event of the year, it's always at a marquee course it's importance in the golfing year is unrivalled. Other rumours I've heard are that they are the oldest society in the country. If anyone can fill in the gaps here it would be helpful. Basically, for no good reason, they are our bitter rivals and we hate them (they are actually great craic).

I heard that they used to have a similar match against another society who left them high and dry one year and they turned to boards to find a suitable replacement match. It might have been the first year of the boards golf society and the organisers at the time jumped on it and it's been rolled over ever since!

but I don't really know.... some of the older members would perhaps know, I'm looking at you CharlieIRL and you Ballyk

Seve's story sounds right. One of their lads is a user on boards and I believe thats how the original contact was made?

But yes, the society historians will have the full story

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

That’s correct Steve. They are indeed the oldest society in Ireland and any of the lads I played against are all very nice lads.

they were let down one year and Keano stepped in and agreed we would get 12 lads from

here to play them, it was first come, first serve that year and it’s thankfully continued and developed every year since.

Some great banter and friendly rivalry to finish the society year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Plus it gives you something to aim for as making the team is an achievement in itself!

• Advertisement

Especially when theres nothing else to play for since @charlieIRL just wins everything else 😭

Advertisement