Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Civil Servant Covid Recognition

Comments

The poster whinging above, for a start, who somehow thinks that civil/public servants should be paying into a compensation fund for private sector workers who lost their jobs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

There's been two major financial hits in the past 15 years - the Celtic Tiger collapse and Covid. In both cases, many of us saw significant drops in income. Meanwhile public servants sailed merrily on in terms of employment and pay. I don't think bitterness comes into it but one might describe it as galling that many public servants are not happy enough to have kept their stable incomes but also want compensation for something or other that's not entirely clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Was the pandemic payment , the countless grants, access to funding and back to education amongst other initiatives, not seen by you as support for those who lost their jobs ? They even announced a new 1860 euro payment for them again the other day…. What more do U want them to give

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Many public servants did not retain their jobs. I am one of many.

Was not allowed work from home due to GDPR concerns and had no childcare due to everywhere being closed.

Not 1 member of my family was working from home that could help with childcare so job had to go. I'm not the only one.

Not everything is clear cut and black and white, no one knows everyone else's circumstances.

I believe they believe it. Its all about the attitude, and I've seen here plenty of times. Same old, trotted out stereotypes of lazy civil servants, out the door at 4 o'clock every day, no job losses or pay cuts there, blah blah blah.

I've put in more extra hours (over and above my target hours) over the last 18 months than I will receive in actual Annual Leave days over the next couple of years, and I'm not going running to the union about it, I'm not looking to be paid for it, I'm not even looking for an extra bank holiday. I just got on with it, and I know dozens more like me.

I guess expecting a little respect for that is even too much to ask, but can we at least ask for a little less disrespect towards those civil and public servants kept things running, many of them while juggling their work around kids, spouses, etc, like anyone else? Or is that too much to ask, too.

The civil servants have had numerous levies and charges added to their wages since the last recession , leaving them considerably less well off than their peers have been throughout the previous generations … no point saying this to u … your not just I’ll informed … your sad and bitter …maybe u need to leave your job/get a job??? if it’s all so good in c service why don’t ya join it ???

I think you need to adjust your sarcasm antennae.

I would ask this of anyone in both private and the public sector, why were you working so many additional hours without discussing this with your employer, were you made do them?

Of course you deserve respect, you have to acknowledge that in terms of job security and pay, you were insulated during Covid in a way many private sector workers were not. That must count for something. Do private sector workers feel the same sense of entitlement to bonuses/time ?

• Advertisement

Outside the PS, these are called job losses, wage cuts, short time, forced emigration. Since the last recession private sector workers talk of wage increases, whereas no doubt the term “pay restoration” will soon rare its head on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Economics101

@Loueze: I have nothing but respect for public servants who worked under difficult circumstances and who are not demanding more money, of holidays. In all sorts of ways whether related to our jobs or other aspects we were "all in this together". In that case we can't all compensate one another.

Sailed merrily on in terms of employment and pay?

Did you miss all the emergency financial measures, pension levies etc, after the Celtic Tiger collapse, or did I just imagine the huge drop in my income?

Were you ever at risk of losing your job, and do you think many in the private sector suffered drop in wages? Yet we don’t keep bleating about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Pay the people who worked on the covid wards/emergency rooms etc.. a 500 euro bonus and stop this one for everyone in the audience nonsense.

Yes, I was, because I literally was earning about €40 a week less than I would have received in benefits at the time. I had to decide whether to stick or quit, but I was thinking of the long term game, so I stuck with it. (More fool me, I think sometimes).

And please, the private sector never stop bleating on about it!!! That's how most of these type of threads start.

As someone else said, if anyone in the private sector thinks the grass is so much greener on the public sector side, then come join the ranks of the civil and public service. You'll be in for a rude awakening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Did you think maternity services would be cancelled?

You're example tells us nothing

If that were true ,unions would have been banging fists on tables long ago

Loueze, deciding voluntarily to leave your job for a better paid one is not, nor has it ever been the same as having your employment terminated involuntarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

We have all already got out post pandemic bonuses. We’re all still alive!! Give this extra money to Pepperoni Zapponne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Staff were willing to do it

who do you think put through your pup payments and answered Covid helplines... The tooth fairy😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'm a healthcare assistant,I don't know if I stand to gain from any of this and I'm not arsed.

This whole idea is divisive and unworkable.Some estimates of over a billion euro.....remember when a billion euro was a lot of money and would (nearly)build you a children's hospital?

This whole bonus thing is mental stuff and now they can't put the genie back in the bottle.I think it will really back fire on them and won't create the feel good vibes they wanted.The whole thing is dumb on so many levels.

so you agree your empty hospital statement is nonsense then… thanks for agreeing with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Of course it's dumb and comes from FFG trying to buy votes, however Leo on RTE now saying my work was 'heroic' and that McGrath is currently working on how this should be rewarded so bring it on.

My antenna is just fine, thank you.

I was working so many hours because it was an extraordinary situation, one I hope will end soon, and hope to never see again in my lifetime. If I didn't work them, others (ironically, in the private sector) would have been put under added stress.

I don't know where you pick up the attitude that I am looking for bonuses or compensation for the extra time. I specifically stated I am not. I'm simply asking for less disrespect, towards a large group who were working as hard, sometimes harder and often with extra challenges, during the pandemic.

While job security in the public sector is good, it is not what it once was. (Probably since around 1995!). There era of "jobs for life" is long gone, another myth the private sector like to make around the public one.

And while you seem to think the public sector is insulated, it is not. We may not have had direct job losses or loss of earnings during the pandemic, but I guarantee you we will end up paying for it in terms of indirect cuts, "emergency financial measures" , embargos on recruitment, retirees not replaced, vacancies not filled, or other measures that will follow afterwards.

I can't really speak for what the private sector feel, only give my impression that they seem to begrudge every-single-thing about the terms and conditions of the public sector - except for the pay rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Anyone that lost their jobs got compensated to the tune of up to €350 on PUP and will continue to be compensated to the tune of €209 a week until they find new employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭mikethecop

the lads in my local tesco got a small bonus with in a few months of the pandemic hitting along with as much overtime as they could handle . most of them did fairly well out of it too ,

fair play to them they did great work in my opinion

I wouldn't work as a nurse if they gave me 20 extra days leave a year. Tough job.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have been leaving my job for a better paid one. I would have been leaving my job to go on social welfare, which would have been more than I was earning, at the time.

But you knew that was the point I was making, and you chose to ignore it, Dav10.

Which tells me you are not being genuine, and are unwilling to take on board anything I say. So, I'll leave it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well on the contra side, maybe you should consider working in a situation where you will not know your weekly or monthly income as you go along. Where you are subject to the whims of the economy and government decisions that limit your ability and even capacity to earn an income.

I'm happy to do that as it suits my temperament. I'm also happy to generate an income, provide goods and services and collect and pay both VAT and income tax to help support the wages and benefits of public & civil servants. All that I/we ask is that these taxes are spent wisely and proportionately. That is not apparent at all with this magic bonus idea.

Loueze, choosing to leave your job so you could sit on your hole, then deciding to play “the long game” is not, nor has it ever been the same has loosing your job either. It really is bizarre that you cannot tell the difference.

The biggest waste of your money isn’t the lower civil service … majority of depts have had a significant reduction in staff in recent years and introduced loads of new systems and targets … so don’t worry about that … u need to concentrate your anger and dismay further up the food chain … corrupt govt and highest level of civil service doing very well out of ill made decisions and not having to answer for anything … I can list the children’s hospital and zappone affair as just two recent examples of the squandering of our money … but instead of ousting these crooks and looking for change up high … they have us all fighting and disagreeing with each other … and that’s the sad thing … rte and the indo are political broadcasters for them too it seems which makes it worse … there needs to be change in this Country ASAP but considering all the main political parties are up there together having their slice of the cake.. there’s no opposition apart from Sinn Fein…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭KaneToad

How did the Zaponne affair squander our money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Economics101

LillySV: listing the children's hospital and the Zappone affair as two examples of waste is daft: One is a matter of Billions, the other an annual €15k. No doubt all "waste" is deplorable, but get a sense of proportion. Also you refer to ousting those "crooks". Who are you accusing of stealing? Are you sure that incompetence and convoluted decision-making has not lead to massive cost over-runs. My money is on serial cock-up rather than theft.

Anyhow, this is irrelevant to the matter at issue: compensating civil servants for doing work, for which they have already been paid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

This Covid Bonus debate is causing more Division than NPHET ever did.

A can of worms has been unleashed, its becoming absurd .I believe in Reward but my god , the figures being mentioned are eye watering.

Serious Deficit Many, Many, Many Billions.

Mica Crisis, Billions

Housing & Rental accommodation crisis.

Covid Supports and still going, Billions

50,000 redundancies expected

Inflation Rising

Utilities Rising

Interest Rates likely Rising

Are we seriously loosing the plot., Seriously

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,452 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's not how Job Seekers Benefit works. It is limited to 6 or 9 months, then you move onto a means-tested payment. It does not continue indefinitely.

Who in the highest level of civil service benefited from the children's hospital or Zappone affair and how did they benefit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Magic money trees from FFG. Who would've thought 😅😅😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

🤣🤣🤣 it's just Bonkers the whole thing , I'm not all sure they are aware what's happened over the past 18 months, we've not even stopped spending vast sums on the pandemic. I don't object to a recognition but Jesus wept this is just becoming absurd.

Paschal the Rascal will be borrowing of us in the next budget at this rate .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,487 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

hahahahahaha

Delusional.

Anyhow, this is irrelevant to the matter at issue: compensating civil servants for doing work, for which they have already been paid

Nope. It's public and civil servants, and the extra hours worked were not paid (and not allowed as time off in lieu, either.)

But hey, I have my 1% pay rise to look foward to next month!!! In reality a pay cut.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,487 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We should introduce another 2 or 3 public holidays a year. Everyone (well, everyone with a job) would benefit, the cost to the government would be very little, it'd boost the tourism and entertainment industries, and we'd still have fewer public holidays than most EU countries...

Scrap the cap!

What is bizarre is that you are totally (and deliberately) choosing to ignore the point I was making.

Do you know what is also pretty soul-destroying?

Working on one side of a desk paying out claims to someone on the other side of it who is actually sitting on their hole and getting paid more for it then you are being paid for working processing their claims.

Then being told you deserve little or no respect for continuing to work at a loss and not joining them.

I hope you are equally as disparaging of all those PUP claimants now who are refusing to go back to work or look for new jobs.

Thanks for confirming my earlier feeling that you weren't being genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What intrigues me is why nurses, a largley female occupation trigger some here and the use of language like entitled ( the exact same words that incel murderer in England a few months uses about women,)

As a balance, the nursing unions don't help themselves.

Don't hold your breath. Dper haven't signed off on it yet.... I'm not joking. 🙄

• Advertisement

I remember my first pay packet as a Co a few years ago . I got 20e more than I did the week before having worked a full week. That didn't even take into account transport costs. It was soul destroying.

If this goes ahead I'll be heading down to my front door to start un-clapping furiously.

Lots of add ons to that little story I’m sure.

I would agree, use the money to bring in another 1 or 2 bank holidays.

We all recognise the point you are trying badly to make. You considered giving up your job and going on welfare, fair enough, a lot of people feel that way. But the majority obviously prefer to work, and do not like being let go by their employers. So don’t come on here and try and tell us that you considering giving up your job to go on welfare is the same as someone who wants to work losing their job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement