Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civil Servant Covid Recognition

Comments

The "vast majority" of civil servants were also forced home but still working their asses off from their spare rooms and kitchen tables - who do you think was processing all those PUP payments?

Government departments didn't close down like other employers during the pandemic. The work went on, it just moved to people's homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I had reason to be in hospital last year and had subsequent follow-up appointments

Not covid related, the hospitals were empty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭Deeec

I think nurses, doctors, healthcare workers , certain members of revenue commissioners ( for keeping the country paid) deserve recognition for the extra work and stress they were under.

Next we'll have the Teachers Unions coming out out demanding recognition for teachers for their work during the pandemic- this I would have a big issue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Good for u, what hospital ?

I had reason to be in hospital for a few non covid appointments last year too , including the birth of my child … and hospital was far from empty … the staff I dealt with there were all working under pressure while having to satisfy all covid rules too and they did a marvelous job

now I will admit I went to an apt earlier this month and experienced 4 higher level workers in a room who were doing f all… which was xtra proof to me that a lot of the covid precautions have to be relaxed now and brought back to normal

I see retail excellence Ireland are demanding for pup to be wound up ASAP as people not willing to return to work … payment is no longer required as anyone who wanted a vaccine has it so time to end it and get people to work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

That all civil servants go home at 4.30. Most I know where working all hours to keep things going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

No-one gets a bonus, no extra days off, no bank holidays. Nothing. Let's just get on with our lives.

There are crippling issues in healthcare that need major investment. Squandering cash on some misguided attempt to buy votes is ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭cms88

You'd struggle to find anyone in the public sector more self entitled than nurses. They complain about Covid etc that all they get is being called heroes etc Yet many of them absolutely as it fills their already inflated egos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭cms88

Many will say supermarket staff etc were ''just doing their job'' and that will be accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

As a si gle parent who had to go to work everyday, was not let wfh and saw my childcare costs go through the roof as I had to pay different people cash in hand to look after my child with ASD. I ended up having to leave my job.

Yes I would welcome a payment. I'm not the only person who was in this position.

It will be squandered up top anyways …!top civil servants and govt get a cut of cake so nothing will get done about that … isn’t that why two of the top people over slaintecare walked…. Nothing getting change done cause it would go against the top people profiteering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Economics101

How many public sector workers lost their jobs in the pandemic? How many private sector workers? I think we can have a reasonable guess even without exact numbers. If anyone needs compensation it's those who lost their jobs.

I know of someone in a back-office civil service job who worked from home during the pandemic. For at least half the time they were on a 3-day week, apparently at full pay. Compensation? Maybe they should pay into a fund to help those who lost their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,977 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Is there any evidence that Covid spreads through contact with food/packaging if staff practice good hygiene? Surely those practices existed long before Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Public servant begrudgery. A tale as old as time itself.

Beverly Hills, California

You want to punish people for NOT losing their jobs?

What about those civil and public servants who have been putting in 10-12 hour days regularly over the last 18 months to keep things running, who can't even get the extra time back in leave-in-lieu (not even asking to be paid for it)?

Do you think they should be punished too, just because they are not in the private sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Economics101

What a load of nonsense, I don't want to punish anyone, just to concentrate scarce funds on helping people who have lost their jobs. If public servants have been working 10 or 12 hour days, when either (a0 they have been properly compensated by overtime; if not, then maybe they should take up that specific issue with their union.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

I think the frontline health service staff (nurses, doctors, porters, paramedics etc) who had to deal literally face to face with thousands of people infected with a deadly disease deserve recognition and bonus. If they want 10 days holidays I say give it to them.

The rest of us. Shop assistants, Guards, Teachers, Factory workers, office staff etc. Well we were all in it together and I say we can't keep rewarding ourselves. Maybe lets have an extra bank holiday where we ACTUALLY shut everything down so people can have it off (i.e. just because you are off doesn't entitle you to insist all the staff of shops, restaurants etc around you are working to entertain you).

I would be particularly careful of the parasitic admin staff in the health service. My sister in law works for the HSE in an office in Kilkenny. She has zero interaction with patients. She doesn't even handle paperwork that was anywhere near a hospital. She is purely a back office function that seems could be done by a computer in 30 minutes but used to take someone with a pen and paper a week in 1922 so her job still exists because it always exists. She was able to work from home through the whole pandemic and still refers to herself as a "frontline worker". She was vaccinated before most nurses and doctors. She gets 29 days holidays a year. She has been on 2 holidays around Ireland this year and is off to Spain with her boyfriend for 10 days in October to use up the holidays they carried over from last year. Now she is on about needing another 10 days for the stress and danger she endured during the pandemic and hopes it will be approved in the budget so they can go skiing for two weeks after Christmas. The fat bitch didn't set foot outside her door for 6 months and now thinks she has PTSD fighting to keep the rest of us safe. My wife did all the shopping for their parents so the sister didn't even keep them safe never mind the nation. These parasitic admin functions will demand parity with the actual frontline staff. We can't let them get away with it.

No, but apparantly some bitter people here would like us to be.

• Advertisement

The poster whinging above, for a start, who somehow thinks that civil/public servants should be paying into a compensation fund for private sector workers who lost their jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

There's been two major financial hits in the past 15 years - the Celtic Tiger collapse and Covid. In both cases, many of us saw significant drops in income. Meanwhile public servants sailed merrily on in terms of employment and pay. I don't think bitterness comes into it but one might describe it as galling that many public servants are not happy enough to have kept their stable incomes but also want compensation for something or other that's not entirely clear.

Was the pandemic payment , the countless grants, access to funding and back to education amongst other initiatives, not seen by you as support for those who lost their jobs ? They even announced a new 1860 euro payment for them again the other day…. What more do U want them to give

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Many public servants did not retain their jobs. I am one of many.

Was not allowed work from home due to GDPR concerns and had no childcare due to everywhere being closed.

Not 1 member of my family was working from home that could help with childcare so job had to go. I'm not the only one.

Not everything is clear cut and black and white, no one knows everyone else's circumstances.

I believe they believe it. Its all about the attitude, and I've seen here plenty of times. Same old, trotted out stereotypes of lazy civil servants, out the door at 4 o'clock every day, no job losses or pay cuts there, blah blah blah.

I've put in more extra hours (over and above my target hours) over the last 18 months than I will receive in actual Annual Leave days over the next couple of years, and I'm not going running to the union about it, I'm not looking to be paid for it, I'm not even looking for an extra bank holiday. I just got on with it, and I know dozens more like me.

I guess expecting a little respect for that is even too much to ask, but can we at least ask for a little less disrespect towards those civil and public servants kept things running, many of them while juggling their work around kids, spouses, etc, like anyone else? Or is that too much to ask, too.

The civil servants have had numerous levies and charges added to their wages since the last recession , leaving them considerably less well off than their peers have been throughout the previous generations … no point saying this to u … your not just I’ll informed … your sad and bitter …maybe u need to leave your job/get a job??? if it’s all so good in c service why don’t ya join it ???

I think you need to adjust your sarcasm antennae.

I would ask this of anyone in both private and the public sector, why were you working so many additional hours without discussing this with your employer, were you made do them?

Of course you deserve respect, you have to acknowledge that in terms of job security and pay, you were insulated during Covid in a way many private sector workers were not. That must count for something. Do private sector workers feel the same sense of entitlement to bonuses/time ?

• Advertisement

Outside the PS, these are called job losses, wage cuts, short time, forced emigration. Since the last recession private sector workers talk of wage increases, whereas no doubt the term “pay restoration” will soon rare its head on this thread.

Advertisement