Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭micks_address

must have been shortly after the site relaunch and i missed it.. interesting all the same.. i didnt realise rolex supplied the italian navy all that time..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I think it was in the midst of that disaster alright. It really is an eye-opener but as the chat at the time laid out. Not something that's out of the ordinary for many of the high end. It's a conversation that's still worth having tho IMO.

It's not so long ago that Tudor and I think even some IWC and many others were ETA, the question then comes down to the grade of movement, eg elaboré and actual watch finishing and quality.

How much value should we assign or remove to a watch for ETA/Sellita rather than in-house?

In his article he says a lot of parts are not made in house... but they are made by companies owned by the same company that owns panerai - eta excluded... wouldnt that still be considered in house?

also spotted this on tz... kinda want one :) friend mentioned the brand to me in a pub last night and id no idea they existed..

a big plus with Eta in Tudor etc.. a lot of reviewers always commented that servicing cost would be way lower and easier to source rather than an in house movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Oh btw - I was in the post office today posting off some straggler watches and confirmed with the post office that the countries that have expanded custom declaration requirements are the US, UK and Switzerland (I was sending a watch off to Japan so was double checking that it wouldn't get turned around or if I needed to fill in any additional forms I would).

Oh Irish watch hive mind, help me I beseech thee 😂

I've a couple of irons in the fire regarding a potential 2535:80 purchase.

Both watches in good condition but, no box/papers and no recent service. Not too much of an issue for me as when the time comes to service I'll send it on to Omega and reconstitute the paperwork that way.

My issue is price. Both that I'm looking at currently are in the €2600 range asking. I'm thinking they are more €2100 value currently although if I go via Chrono24 and Japan I can get fullset for the €2600 range and Chrono24 EU pricing has me pitching a price in the €2300 range (Using my totally unscientific Chrono price minus 30% method 😂).

So, what do ye reckon? Pitch an offer at 2k with room to rise?

Answering myself here, but went in at 2100 and we'll see what develops 😉

Are they autos? I sold my quartz for 1400 here last year... criminally low...

Yep, they are co-axial escapement autos I think they were Omega's original crop of the escapement.

Chrono24 is interesting... when i look at watches i see a certain price.. but when i list the same model it will suggest a price to list at.. thats obviously a price the average sells for.. its usually a good few hundred less than the cheapest listing in the 2 - 3k price range

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

In the last 2 weeks I think I have gone stage 8 and onto stage 9. Major cull has happened. Never passed stage 7. Am I loosing interest...other things just seem more interesting to me at the moment and finding it difficult to motivate myself to do my youtube which I quite enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Funnily enough, my interest levels have waned a bit recently. I've gone from 4-5 stright to 8. It's partly to do with this new boards format - too many notifications, and then tons going into spam repeatedly. And I have to say I'm getting tired of the YouTubers, especially The Timeless Watch guy who I used to enjoy, but who recently seems to have bought into his own hype. He will no doubt get his game back again as he is very talented. And Paul Thorpe and Archie...all tiring me these days. (I'm also in the middle of building works which are distracting me.)

I've not sold there yet, but I do have my watches added to their "collection" tool and it's part of what led me to my use as Chrono24 minus 30% for realistic prices and tbh I'd put private trades a touch lower again.

Hope it's just a momentary lull in interest? But it may well be something to do with reopening gathering pace maybe? We had a good 18 months of bear zero real social outlet and you channeled that into watches in a large way? Maybe the lifting of restrictions and more recreational outlets is just pulling you away from the watches and lowering the intensity temporarily?

I think that you hit the nail on the head there, just want to do things that get me out, and do new things. I do love my watches but might just get off the merry-go-round for a bit. Having said that, I have a new project on the go, and I could liquidate watches in a flash to finance, so I had the watches for free basically. Agree with Fulladapipes also, watch youtube is a toxic sludge pit for narcisists, cretans and bullies and all the latest sh1t going on has me questioning if I can share a common hobby with these tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think for some (not saying it's definitely people on here as I don't know them) its perhaps that once you get a top quality watch you're overjoyed, then the next thing seems to be that you want the next one up, then the next one up etc...and deep down you aren't ever happy until you buy the one that you're happy with, irrespectiveof the price of it, or the hype that surrounds it. Of course some may have 8 or 10 they are happy with, but perhaps the same principle applies.

As for me, I have kinda reached that point too. I'm not even in the same ball park as some of the owners on here, in fact I'm not even in the same country!

I would buy and buy, and then sell the odd one, the buy another ....But nothing more than £200 odd. I'm small fry stuff. Of course I still look around, at the odd Sinn or Stowa. Have even been eyeing up a midsize Bond Seamaster, but it's probably just window shopping for now.

I now have kinda settled with my SKX013, my Boldr Venture, a Casio edifice, a Traser P59 Type 3, and my dad's watch. They suit all my needs and I like the watches I own now. Also have a couple of Casio digital for playing football was.

So I have jumped from the bottom of the curve to the end and not been anywhere in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Ive said a few times here that I think COVID lockdown has caused a lot of the boom in watches recently.We’ve all had so much time to look at pretty pictures of watches, research them and have them delivered to the house .I know there is watches I’ve convinced myself I want and have to have and it’s mainly due to not being able to fill my time with other activities.Add in no financial boundaries for most pieces under €30k or so and I can see why you’re feeling done or slowing down .

I suppose how interesting the new project is might have something to do with it as well. There’s only so much time and attention we each have to devote to our pastimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I collect off piste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I dunno, pretty much all my best buys were two glasses of vino in, usually more. My worst were mostly when I was stone cold sober. 😂

I've had periods of not bothered too. I was gung ho in the late 80's when it was hard to be gung ho, lost interest in the early 90's then the early interwebs reignited it in a big way, what with all the cool new info and watches suddenly available. Lost interest around 2005 for a good while too and other periods where I was a one or two watch man. The explosion of the high end luxury market didn't impact my interest as it never was anyway. Latterly the youtube thing didn't really affect me as the vast majority is about new stuff which again I was never in the market for anyway. What vintage stuff does show up is 90% cheap and cheerful. Guys like Archie I can't watch for more than a minute without gagging. The slicker sales types leave me completely cold with their (mostly) BS. Well they're salesmen and they wind me up in general. The Oisin lad I can watch for Venice and some of his ramblings, but it's much less about the watches, again because they wouldn't be in my wheelhouse anyway. Funny enough if anything the pox pandemic has cooled my jets. I have no idea why, though business has been slack and money tighter so there's that. Now in fairness I have a shedload of watches so I'm not cured by any means. 😁

Hi folks,

taking a spin up to Belfast Thursday and wanted to check out pride and pinnion watches. Any suggestions on parking any dos or don’t? Are they ok letting you try on watches etc? Also any places close by that would do a nice lunch?

cheers,

mick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

I have been mildly bored for a while. Not bought a watch in 12 months and struggling to identify my next piece.

The YouTube “community” is also a little nauseating at the moment. The back slapping and faux comradery is turning me off.

When behind it it’s all about subs, adds and superchats.

At least you can pick and choose what to watch! And there is a lot of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

prior to COVID the only watch you tubers I seemed to notice were Watchfinder , teddy baldassarre , time&tide and Hodinkee .It has exploded since then ,surely some of them will die off over the coming months

The shop is in the Merchant and there is parking on street round there (have some english coins) There is a multistory round there too. They are dead sound about trying on watches. The merchant itself has excellent food.

Apart from our own crop of YTrs and an American lad I posted previously, I have zero YT watch channels on sub. I'll dip in and out, watch videos posted on here and TZ to see what's up, but, in particular the lifestyle bolloxology that some YTrs ascribe to their watches just doesn't float my boat.

One crop of videos I did enjoy were always the fake comparison videos but then they started getting copyright strikes. Still out there but no longer as prominent and I think even Watchfinder's were taken down?

I do follow a lot of manufacturers, sellers and watchmakers on insta. Just another step in convincing myself I have ADHD 😂 I don't need to watch a diatribe, photos are nice, reels are short and I can always click if I want to know more 😉

Actually my own insta ticked over 1k followers today 😁

It won't last long tho, as I need to cull fake accounts and fecking fake sellers!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,773 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Linky to your insta? I'm new to all that stuff 😂

It's far calmer than than YT 😂

My own insta is a mix of watches and models. The models are generally of the aviation kind tho rather than brassers!😂😂

Took a spin up to Belfast yesterday watch browsing. First stop was pride & pinion. Took us a while to figure out it was actually inside the Merchant hotel. Its a good setup in fairness as you have a lot more privacy than just walking in from the street. The lads there are sound as Fitz mentioned. They had some nice Rolex, a very high end Patek piece for .5 a million. No trying on that one.. no problem with anything else. I tried on a mark 1 39mm explorer and i have to say i really liked it. Its not nearly as noticeable as my Datejust but there was just something about it that drew me in. Tried on a millgaus which i thought was surprisingly chunky. They had a 321 speedmaster and a few nice Omega as well. They had 1 of the first 50 kermits produced at 50k and a Rolex with a meteorite dial that was some mad money. Happy to chat away and spent about 30/40 minutes with them.

Took a walk over to McNeelys then. They had quite a bit of stock and mad for chat. Tried on two submariners - a newer one and slightly older.. very similar.. they had a VC blue dial overseas? Priced at 30k.. bracelet and strap included.. tried it on... substantial watch. Also tried on a royal oak chrono that looked like something out of the lego movie. They had a panerai and few other nice watches there. Ended up buying a wolf watch winder that someone had left in for sale. More for the craic than anything else. They run draws where you can buy a ticket for 15 pounds and enter a draw to win a sub or daytona etc.. sell about 2k tickets and one lucky person gets the watch.. i guess its way for them to sell a watch and get the money while someone ends up with a 20k watch for 15 pounds. Sound sales guy there and would definitely go back.

We went onto Lunns then for a look at the Omega's first. Tried on the No time to die seamaster. On mesh and nato. Its a lovely watch on. Seriously light. No date on it which seemed odd... do they make a date version? I tried on the new speedmaster and i like it. The bracelet seems more delicate than the older models but i can imagine another speedy will be in my future at some stage. Asked about potential discount on sales - zero was the answer.

Lastly we went into the rolex side of Lunns... hardly any rolex on display and they have stopped taking names for any submariner. Just seemed very empty. Didn't get a warm and welcoming feeling from them at all.

Anyway it was a nice day out. Belfast is a grand spot and easy walking around most of it. Probably the new speedy and explorer left most of an impression on me... well the VC to.. but out of my league..

Cheers,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 64,773 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nice write up, Mick!

Going myself tomorrow, booked in with P&P too, which will be my first stop over there around lunch time. Is there parking in the hotel? Free or paid and did you notice is there any car charging? Normally don't need to bother as a 10 minute stop on the way back at the Supercharger would do the trick but we will be leaving late tomorrow night, prefer not to stop on the way home. Any recommended spots for a decent dinner?

We parked in the donegal street car park... we just spotted it on way in and its close to the center of the town - like 10 minutes away. Fitz might be able to speak better to parking etc.. around the hotel. We paid 12 pounds for 3.5 hours parking or so. Re dinner - we popped into a bar on the same street as hmv/sports direct and they had a half decent steak sandwich (apologies can't remember name) it was a pretty casual day out so didn't want anything to heavy. Popped into the Boulevard in banbridge for a look around on the way home.. was pretty much empty. I'd imagine be more around it at weekends.

didnt see anything on the charger front but wasnt looking... im still burning petrol