Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you really need a car?

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Public transport is for peasants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,283 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yock. Public transport no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

I think the Inbetweeners share ye're opinion on public transport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Nope not getting rid of cars in this household just yet. Commute to work isn't possible on public transport without some major bus hopping when I do go back to the office, plus managing a creche drop off too with that would be on the nightmare front. That said, I think looking at plug in hybrids, hybrids or full electric cars is something that is good. We have one of those as our 2nd car & try to use it for the short journeys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭dasdog

I hate cars - noisy, polluting annoying imports. When the Covid lockdown started the silence was bliss with regard to the lack of the poxy things trundling around. It's one of the reasons why I love heavy snow. Keeps the drivers at home. Dreadful waste of money and they are a clear path to obesity for some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,869 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Use the car for work about two days a week and the various shopping trips, otherwise we all cycle, walk or skate. School runs, local shopping (butchers, bakery etc… ) beach, park, swim all done sans car. City trips on public transport. 

We were offered land to build rural but couldn’t deal with driving everywhere every day. Nightmare. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Home to work is a 15-20 minute drive*, with a big boot to carry everything I need, and an option to get the shopping on the way home. Public transport would take up to two hours each way. A choice between two buses, or bus-luas-long walk. Not a hope I'd use public transport.

I've been on three buses in the last 5 years. The last one I got off and hopped in a taxi because it was taking so bleedin' long with all the stopping and starting...

• Sometimes I cycle, if I don't need to bring much with me. It's not like I'm anti-planet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

I think a large percentage of people like myself would use public transport more if it was better. I need my car for work but on every other occasion I'd be happy to use public transport. Unfortunately, it tends to be unreliable, overpriced and generally of a poor standard here even in the urban areas. Also, where I live which is close to Dublin city center, and even here its a good bit out of my way.

Dublin for example, should have a underground system by now & a much more efficient bus service. Also, a train back & forth from the city to the airport. It requires significant investment, someone with a vision and a bit of ambition, unfortunately, thats lacking in our politicians and counsellors. It would pay for itself in no time & make us much more attractive to foreign direct investment & tourism. Also, it would help ease the housing crisis as people would be able to live further(shorter commute times) out rather than everyone cramming to live as close as possible to the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭blackbox

Hi OP.

I have two cars, but I only "need" one. As I can't drive the two at the same time. There is no additional pollution generated.

I have private parking, so nobody else is discommoded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

We do low mileage. We could possibly lose one car. But only if there was a cheap and convenient way to use an extra car at the weekends. At the moment the cost of doing that (car sharing or car rental) is so close to owning and running a second car. But far less convenient. That keeping an second car is still worth the little extra its costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Well Leo has said in the Dail today that Metrolink is not being scrapped for people who live in North Dublin, contary to the MOS article on it last Sunday, because no government decision has been made on it yet. If that project is being included in the upcoming NDP very soon; I suppose that you would be happy to see it being committed to by both the government & the NTA. If you're travelling to Dublin Airport even in normal times the amount of cars & buses that travel through the Airport during the week would be monumental at times because of the amount of people who travel through it every so often. Plus when you use the car to travel to the airport. If you use the car to park it in the car parks; the charges could be eyewatering for less frequent foreign travellers living here.

Advertisement