Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Any recommendations of Filter coffee brewers with a hotplate? Using a cheapo yoke from lidil right now but its going funny.

I was looking at the Wilfa Svart Classic Plus Coffee Maker but Coffee Angel list its dimensions as 55 x 17 x 33.2 cm (W x D x H). Is there anything good in the same price range that's a bit tidier size wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Just purchased the very same. Currently waiting for it to be delivered. I am a bit worried about the size as well but from what I could gather it was one of the cheaper brewers that has the approval of the ECBC. The big selling point for be over the other machines is the adjustable drip flow. I will mostly be brewing for myself so I should be able to adjust the brew time for smaller batches.

I really liked the look of the moccamaster but it was more expensive and not much smaller. Also they can only adjust for a half brew which is still to much when making coffee for just me. A lot of the machines I was looking at (that were awarded by the ECBC) were all on the expensive side and all seemed to be fairly bulky.

Cheers, the Moccamaster seems a fair bit shorter to me (32cm in length vs 55cm unless I'm reading things wrong). Nothing else seems to stand out. Let me know how you get on once you've had a bit of time with it if you don't mind.

I will do, I'll take some measurements as well as I have seen smaller measurements on amazon. Not sure if they are older models but part of me is hoping the 55x17x33 is the packaging rather than the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

If you're mainly brewing a single cup is there any advantage to these machines over say the clever dripper of V60? Or is the real advantage just for batch brews?

• Advertisement

For me its so I can drink 2-3 cups in the morning in succession without going through the whole rigmarole every time.

It came this morning. The box wasn't even 55cm. The machine itself was around 33x32x17. Not sure where coffee Angel got those measurements from. As for the machine itself, it seems to be good quality. I haven't had the chance to really play around with it and I need to get a burr grinder. The coffee I brewed this morning was a disaster but that was probably down to my skill level and not using proper coffee at the proper grind 😅

I was just looking for ease of use to be honest. I just want to put the coffee and water in and let the machine do its thing. I don't really have the time/patience or skill level to make a pour over coffee. The reason I chose that specific machine is because you can adjust for different brew sizes. The smallest is 0.25l which is just about a mug of coffee. Other machines you might start to lose in quality of brew if you brew too small a batch as it will brew too quickly

Thanks for that. Was just about to pull the trigger on a moccamaster! I'll have a bit of a think now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Last few weeks I've bought the Velo range in Tesco, had the Columbian, Ethiopian and El Salvadoran. I'd had, end enjoyed, the Indian one before, but they haven't had it in my local Tesco when I've been in

I made them all in the Aero and Clever. The BB dates indicated to be that the Roast Date was within the 4 weeks prior to purchase.

Someone else here said they thought the Columbian was nice, and it is, it's a nice easy drinker.

The Ethiopian is very disappointing, and I think you definitely get what you pay for with East African coffees, it was lifeless and had hadn't much going on flavour wise.

But, I really like the El Salvador, lovely flavour, high citrus acidity and a sweetness to sort of counter it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Christmas came early this year... (For those that haven't seen my posts in the last year, my Barista Express wouldn't grind fine enough out of the box)

Not even dialled in yet and there's a noticeable improvement in coffee and it's barely a 15 second shot at the moment. The grinds are so fluffy and they fall into place so evenly, it's very satisfying to watch.

Really not impressed that Sage's customer support did everything but send a shim kit considering the Barista Express isn't cheap but I likely would have upgraded anyway as the grinder is the weak point of the machine, although most people have a perfectly normally functioning grinder and wouldn't be so quick to upgrade!

Next year I'll probably replace the Barista Express with a Bambino or something similar just to tidy things up. I enjoy a nice coffee and want to make the effort to pull a decent shot but I'm not into it as a hobby so I'll probably stick with a machine that's easy enough to use like the Sage stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

Congrats, you’ve got great grinder this time !

Probably same price as your Barista Express kit :)

ps. stay away from SAGE, there are plenty proper coffee machines .

something like this or better:

Post edited by alec76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Must give the El Salvador a shot - the Colomban fan was me!

Definitely think the Velo single origins are the best supermarket beans out there - much better than the velo tandem blend. A good option if you need to pick something up, and refreshing not be dealing with roasts that are burnt to a crisp at least!

What's the verdict on bottomless portafilters and different baskets? Aside from looking fancy on YouTube, is there much benefit to be had?

Emailed Baratza to get the longer portafilter hook for the Sette as grinds are spilling over slightly, 3 days later they're already sending one out. Just hope it doesn't take too long to get it from the US! 2 days to respond to the initial email and sent the next day after confirming my address. Not bad at all!

How did you get along with it in general ? Are you happy with the grinding , could you finally chocke machine up ?

Yes , if you seriously about the espresso, it must have , very important for learning.

Just a warning. If you thinking to change machine in near future, most of the proper coffee machines have a industrial standard 58mm portafilter unlike SAGE range( none standard size of portafilter probably the reason you have grinds spilling in the first place btw)

No point to invest in expensive VST basket, naked portafilter or tamper which won’t fit new machine.

Haven't dialed in much as I was waiting for my subscription to arrive, also been a bit busy so haven't really had time. I'll probably drop a notch or two to go a bit finer but I'll wait until I have the hook before I start with the weight out and time. Looks like I need to up the dose a bit but obviously I'm limited at the moment due to spilling!

Good shout on the portafilter, sure not essential but if it helps the process and it isn't too expensive I'll probably pick one up when we get a new machine.

Goods source on spare parts , portafilters etc based in Galway .

• Advertisement

Forget about dosing direct into the portafilter get a dosing cup it makes a massive difference to your coffee.

YEAJION Coffee Portafilter Dosing Cup, 54mm Coffee Distributor, Stainless Steel Coffee Dosing Cup Powder Feeder Part for 54mm Espresso Machine Stainless Steel (silver) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09872DDB1/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_9PF7QG2DFE61H8VMYJ9T

Forget about dosing direct into the portafilter get a dosing cup it makes a massive difference to your coffee.

It is really depends on quality of the grinder . High tier grinders do have practically next to zero clumping, that’s what you paying for.

Baratza Sette 270Wi one of those . It is also have integrated weight scale , so not dosing direct makes no sense too.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭breeno

Any recommendations for a cheap electric grinder circa 70 quid or less? Will be mostly used for clever dripper and aeropress and also some espresso but only in pressurised baskets. I've been reading that the cheaper grinders can handle pressurised fine but obviously not non pressurised. Been looking at Delonghi Kg79 (only 40 quid on Amazon currently) along with the espresso mod trick or would I be better with a second hand wilfa?Bit wary of second hand coffee equ. Other options out there like the Bodum Bistro or Melitta or even some on Amazon from lesser brands.

I have a Timemore C2 hand grinder which does the trick nicely but want to try an electric for convenience as well as the fact that trying to hand grind for espresso, even with pressurised basket, would be a serious workout!

Appreciate any thoughts.

I'd go for used stock , surely something comes up sooner or later .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Invested in an Aeropress this week after a few years of using Nespresso and the €20 Aldi coffee machine.

I did fully expect it, but I'm so impressed with how different the exact same coffee (pre-ground Velo) taste from the two different devices and brewing methods. It was pretty harsh and bitter from the Aldi machine, and far more mellow from the Aeropress. I also invested in a coffee grinder, which I'll be testing out once I've used up the pre-ground stuff I have.

Still a fan of Nespresso, can see myself using both depending on how much time/effort I'm willing to put in at the given time.

Sitting in Dublin airport the last 2 weeks. Should be delivered today (Thursday).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,771 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

ordered from Square Mile, they have an EU Portal, and I ordered on what they claimed was the last to get shipping to the ROI for delivery before Xmas - nothing has arrived

Got on to them and they said it definitely should be here by now, so they are re-sending. Two of the coffees I ordered (of three) are not available any more so I had to pick two different ones

Someone in customs had a nice xmas with my coffee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,771 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There's a big thread about An Post, customs and them sending huge numbers of packages back to make a point about rules that don't need to be complied with until the end of this year. The politicians need a rap over the knuckles on this one.

Yesterday I received a card posted in the UK on 20/12, so the delay on packages is going to be an order of magnitude worse.

Advertisement