Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Del007

cnocbui wrote: »
    I don't know. Are you after some?

I tried a few Aldi's near me but they're all out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

had a one cup french press delivered today because the mrs won't use the aero

if i'd have bought the thing for myself she'd have complained about "more coffee paraphernalia" but i'm delighted to have another bit of kit

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

Del007 wrote:
    I got a few bags of their coffee and really liked it, sadly they won't be restocking it

Got a bag of this slumberjack coffee in Aldi myself. Thought it was fairly terrible. Ordered Bell Lane Supernova and a Brazilian coffee from 3fe and there is no comparison. Ordered from Bell lane on July 1st, roasted on July 2nd, delivered July 3rd. Ended up giving half the bag of slumberjack to the kids so they could play dodge the beans in the trampoline !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Ended up giving half the bag of slumberjack to the kids so they could play dodge the beans in the trampoline !
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Del007

Got a bag of this slumberjack coffee in Aldi myself. Thought it was fairly terrible. Ordered Bell Lane Supernova and a Brazilian coffee from 3fe and there is no comparison. Ordered from Bell lane on July 1st, roasted on July 2nd, delivered July 3rd. Ended up giving half the bag of slumberjack to the kids so they could play dodge the beans in the trampoline !

Which one did you get? Did you get the Italian Espresso?

I think my taste buds must be fecked after years of abuse :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Got a bag of this slumberjack coffee in Aldi myself. Thought it was fairly terrible.
    It is bad,had to bin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Anyone and decent recommendations for a scales that won’t break the bank.

Also anyone have an electric goose neck kettle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I've ordered one of these, though it hasn't arrived yet so I can't comment!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0759J83GT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Got the BWT water filters to replace my standard Britta Maxtra, they fit so you don't need a new jug. Actually surprised at the difference the extra magnesium makes to the coffee. Definitely an improvement on body and clarity of flavour for such a small change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,010 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

adrian522 wrote: »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0759J83GT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got one from China that goes down to 0.01g for about a quarter of that price, though it's not lab grade accurate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

cnocbui wrote: »
    I got one from China that goes down to 0.01g for about a quarter of that price, though it's not lab grade accurate.

I had one ordered from China but my current one broke so I needed something quicker.

The previous one was a pocket sized one from Ali express, cost €5 and lasted 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

How is it? Is it too big for the tray of espresso machine?

alec76 wrote: »
    How is it? Is it too big for the tray of espresso machine?

It's good, it has the timer and the weight accurate to 0.1g so its good for pourover.

For espresso, with the water proof cover it won't fit under the portafilter.

IF you take off the cover it will just about work but the spout will be right into the cup, so not ideal.

If you have a bottomless portafilter it should work ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/coffee-break/900w-bean-to-cup-filter-coffee-maker/p46522

Anyone see this? I know the lidil/aldi expresso machines aren't up to much but this seems like it might be alright since it doesn't have to rely on generating pressure?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

megaten wrote: »
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/coffee-break/900w-bean-to-cup-filter-coffee-maker/p46522

Anyone see this? I know the lidil/aldi expresso machines aren't up to much but this seems like it might be alright since it doesn't have to rely on generating pressure?

Grinder will be the issue i'd say

Is anyone doing this James Hoffman coffee tasting?

They send out 5 samples and some water, cost is £7 plus £1.10 delivery.

About €9 all in. I'm going to give it a go.

https://shop.squaremilecoffee.com/products/the-worlds-largest-coffee-tasting

THE WORLD'S LARGEST COFFEE TASTING

Get your cupping spoons out for the second edition of the World’s Largest Coffee Tasting with James Hoffmann! We’re out to set a new record and we can’t wait for you to taste what we have in store for you! Here to ensure similar water standards for everyone joining us from around the globe, thank you Third Wave Water for teaming up with us again.

Pre-order your pack now and join us for the live-stream event on the 3rd of October 2020 at 3 pm BST.

Your Tasting Kit will consist of:

5 x 30g coffee samples
    1 x Third Wave Water mineral supplement sachet
    1 x Grind-size sample

Please keep in mind The World’s Largest Coffee Tasting Kits are on sale on a pre-order basis and will only be dispatched from 16th September onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭smcclaw

Sounds worth a go. Ordered there now - £1.10 postage to Ireland is very reasonable too!

Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Will give it a try. Are they going to recommend brewing methods for the 5 coffees, or would it be expected that you'd have some kind of pour-over fixings? I have an old Hario plastic pour over and some filters gathering dust somewhere. May need to dig 'em up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Will give it a try. Are they going to recommend brewing methods for the 5 coffees, or would it be expected that you'd have some kind of pour-over fixings? I have an old Hario plastic pour over and some filters gathering dust somewhere. May need to dig 'em up.

For cupping it'll be similar to the James Hoffman French press brew (sort of).

You just add your water to your grounds, let it sit for 4 minutes and then break the crust with a spoon by scooping it all out.

The idea is that you use the same grind size and water for each of the coffees to try keep all the variables the same to compare the flavours as much as possible.

https://patriotcraftcoffee.com/cupping-coffee-like-a-pro/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Had a coffee from The Old Barracks in Birdhill this morning. Excellent. Worthy of the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭shmeee

The Nal wrote: »
    Had a coffee from The Old Barracks in Birdhill this morning. Excellent. Worthy of the hype.

They've a sister shop open in Nenagh now, Guji Boutique Coffee Bar, hidden away off the main street. They serve the Old Barracks Coffee, got a takeaway flat white and a bag of beans to bring home.

As good as!

OK shoot me. Shoot me now.

Was in a rush so nabbed an egg sambo from Starbucks. Have only ever had one latte from there years ago and it was total muck. Decided to get one this morning just to see. Jesus Christ. Maybe the worst coffee I've ever had from a coffee shop. How are these guys a thing?

Was in a rush so nabbed an egg sambo from Starbucks. Have only ever had one latte from there years ago and it was total muck. Decided to get one this morning just to see. Jesus Christ. Maybe the worst coffee I've ever had from a coffee shop. How are these guys a thing?

tumblr_m6ao36EtY01rtst91o1_500.gif

tumblr_m6ao36EtY01rtst91o1_500.gif

Thank you

Honestly, I've had to drink a litre of water to get the taste out of my mouth.
    shmeee wrote: »
    They've a sister shop open in Nenagh now, Guji Boutique Coffee Bar, hidden away off the main street. They serve the Old Barracks Coffee, got a takeaway flat white and a bag of beans to bring home.

As good as!

Good to hear. Never been to Nenagh but Ill keep it in mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭adam240610

They send out 5 samples and some water, cost is £7 plus £1.10 delivery.

About €9 all in. I'm going to give it a go.

https://shop.squaremilecoffee.com/products/the-worlds-largest-coffee-tasting

THE WORLD'S LARGEST COFFEE TASTING

Get your cupping spoons out for the second edition of the World’s Largest Coffee Tasting with James Hoffmann! We’re out to set a new record and we can’t wait for you to taste what we have in store for you! Here to ensure similar water standards for everyone joining us from around the globe, thank you Third Wave Water for teaming up with us again.

Pre-order your pack now and join us for the live-stream event on the 3rd of October 2020 at 3 pm BST.

Your Tasting Kit will consist of:

5 x 30g coffee samples
    1 x Third Wave Water mineral supplement sachet
    1 x Grind-size sample

Please keep in mind The World’s Largest Coffee Tasting Kits are on sale on a pre-order basis and will only be dispatched from 16th September onwards.

Yeah I can't wait for this, cupping on each coffee with enough leftover for a proper cup of each afterwards

Ponaire is in Newport, which is not far from Nenagh, and their prices are not extortionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

They buy some of the best beans in the world, roast them past the second crack, and buy up so much space that people go from unable to find an alternative in a hurry (high global brand recognition) to addicts. Plus, they sell the experience, the free wifi is an excellent lure for WFH / student / OOO travelling workers, and they're like spots on a teenager - absolutely everywhere.

Holy majoly I think I'm going to get divorced.

I got a Barratza Encore for my birthday last Nov.

Went to grind some beans for a coffee this morning - nothing coming out. The thing is clogged.

I went at it with the brush, took out the components.

I moved most of the coffee, then some white gunk started coming out - I turned to my wife. She had decided to grind bleeding Almonds in the thing. I also noticed she was spooning coffee out of a tupperware container, there was loads of it and I asked had she ground all of that at the same time. Yep, it was enough to have backed up the ground coffee container on the grinder and forced coffee up the outlet.

Off to youtube for a teardown tutorial.

:mad:

• Advertisement

Holy majoly I think I'm going to get divorced.

I got a Barratza Encore for my birthday last Nov.

Went to grind some beans for a coffee this morning - nothing coming out. The thing is clogged.

I went at it with the brush, took out the components.

I moved most of the coffee, then some white gunk started coming out - I turned to my wife. She had decided to grind bleeding Almonds in the thing. I also noticed she was spooning coffee out of a tupperware container, there was loads of it and I asked had she ground all of that at the same time. Yep, it was enough to have backed up the ground coffee container on the grinder and forced coffee up the outlet.

Off to youtube for a teardown tutorial.

:mad:

Who got it for you?

Advertisement