Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Just got an email to say carrow coffee are doing subs now - their 6 month 1kg filter option is €276 euro though!

https://carrow.ie/shop-1/filtersubscription

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I can't keep up with the amount of new roasters out there now, surely they can't all be making money.

The sub doesn't seem great value, the espresso works out at €35 per month. Which is not really any saving on just buying it individually.

I subscribe to 1KG of Forsa Gala from coffee angel which is €27 per month which I think is decent value. Only issue has been the roast date has been a bit early for my liking meaning by the time I get through the bag it'll be 5 or so weeks old.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I can't keep up with the amount of new roasters out there now, surely they can't all be making money.

The sub doesn't seem great value, the espresso works out at €35 per month. Which is not really any saving on just buying it individually.

I subscribe to 1KG of Forsa Gala from coffee angel which is €27 per month which I think is decent value. Only issue has been the roast date has been a bit early for my liking meaning by the time I get through the bag it'll be 5 or so weeks old.

Wild that the espresso sub is 210 and the filter 276! Don't understand that. 46 per month for filter is way too steep.

Their seasonal espresso is €39 for a 1kg bag (plus delivery on top) so €35 per month for a sub price (incl delivery) is good. Once it goes over €40 (including delivery) it's too much for a sub imo, where you don't get to choose and where they benefit from guaranteed orders, timing and cashflow.

I think a sub price that is the same as the non-sub price is fair enough, if you get the benefit of free delivery each month thrown in.

I think a lot of cafes now do beans from Irish roasted compared to the lavazza / illy of yesteryear and this helps keep the roasters going, in spite of the growing number of them! Getting even 2 or 3 local cafes on board is probably a massive boost and makes them viable to run with online and direct sales on top.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Their seasonal espresso is €39 for a 1kg bag (plus delivery on top) so €35 per month for a sub price (incl delivery) is good. Once it goes over €40 (including delivery) it's too much for a sub imo, where you don't get to choose and where they benefit from guaranteed orders, timing and cashflow.

I don't think you get the seasonal espresso every month though, they mix in the standard espresso as well (€31 normally)
    You will receive a rotation of our best-selling Serra do Cigano from Brazil, with beautiful notes of nuts and caramel, and seasonal coffees that will push your boundaries a bit further.

I have a wilfa uniform grinder and I find usually over the course of a 1kg bag a bean will get stuck in the burrs (ie. I need to open it up and take it out but not jammed)

Is this common with most coffee that you get a hard bean that causes an issue, or is it a grinder problem? The fact it only happens every 40-50 grinds makes me think it can't be the latter but I've only had the grinder 6 months so am still getting to know it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I have a wilfa uniform grinder and I find usually over the course of a 1kg bag a bean will get stuck in the burrs (ie. I need to open it up and take it out but not jammed)

Is this common with most coffee that you get a hard bean that causes an issue, or is it a grinder problem? The fact it only happens every 40-50 grinds makes me think it can't be the latter but I've only had the grinder 6 months so am still getting to know it!
    4 years, 2 different grinders (Sage Pro and Mazzer Super Jolly) and around 60kg coffee beans and I once got a pebble that got stuck in the burrs in the Sage. I reckon the Super Jolly would handle a fist-sized rock. :)

Seems very frequent. Has it happened since you got the grinder? Grounds clogging up the motor maybe? I strip mine down every 4-6 weeks and give it a good clean.

4 years, 2 different grinders (Sage Pro and Mazzer Super Jolly) and around 60kg coffee beans and I once got a pebble that got stuck in the burrs in the Sage. I reckon the Super Jolly would handle a fist-sized rock. :)

Seems very frequent. Has it happened since you got the grinder? Grounds clogging up the motor maybe? I strip mine down every 4-6 weeks and give it a good clean.

I clean it every two months with puly grind and a brush and give it a good shake out!

It has happened 6 or 7 times in the 6 months. A few times it will make a rattling noise hen grinding the next batch so I open it up and see there's a rogue bean, or when I go to clean it there will be a bean stuck there - maybe there for a while but not causing any noise issue?

I was wondering if there is an issue with the alignment of the burrs or anything? I figured it would be happening much more often if it was though?

Anyone tried McCabes coffee? I see they specify the roast type (dark, medium and light) which is nice to know - wish more places did.

The light roast starter pack at €29 looks good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I just assume light to medium unless specified, from speciality roasters

I just assume light to medium unless specified, from speciality roasters

It's often not the case though which frustrates me (that's what I assume too!)

I have had some medium/dark roasts from Bean West for example when none was specified. Would prefer if it was clearer or more explicit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I threw a bag of those Bradys beans into mym shopping in Lidl the other day. They are actually okay as a milk based espresso. They are perhaps the best bean I've had for the Rok presso too. Most others required fiddling with grinder settings to get it fine enough to get enough pressure, but these are great at my regular enough setting.

I also noted that they have a sticker with a batch code on the bottom, that looks like a date pretty much, so I'd wonder if they're sticking roast dates on them indirectly.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I threw a bag of those Bradys beans into mym shopping in Lidl the other day. They are actually okay as a milk based espresso. They are perhaps the best bean I've had for the Rok presso too. Most others required fiddling with grinder settings to get it fine enough to get enough pressure, but these are great at my regular enough setting.

I also noted that they have a sticker with a batch code on the bottom, that looks like a date pretty much, so I'd wonder if they're sticking roast dates on them indirectly.
    Yeah, I had a bag recently too (around 3 weeks old, based on the 'batch date'). I thought they were pretty good for a cheap bean - best I've had in a long while for a sub €5 bag of coffee. I did have to adjust my grinder back as they were choking the espresso machine, but most of the other coffee I'd use would be < 1 week roasted, so not unexpected.

Yeah definitely an option if running low, though I still find the brown bag LIDL zambia ones not bad either if stuck, so I'm a pure philistine at this stage I guess!

Anyone using the peak water filters? Seem to be selling them everywhere now!

Picked up a bag of Upside Ethopian Guji Shakiso Natural process in Driftwood this morning, lad in the shop was raving about it as I was buying.

Also brought home a Latte for herself and an Americano for me, they really do great coffee there.

I'm not normally one to be too anal about roast dates, but bought a bag in store this week with a roast date of May 16th. Nearly 7 weeks old. This was from a fairly well known roaster who is generally at the higher price points too.

Brought it back today and exchanged it for one roasted on June 26th. I think 4 weeks should be around the shelf life of roasted coffee.

I mean, did you not check it before purchase?

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'm not normally one to be too anal about roast dates, but bought a bag in store this week with a roast date of May 16th. Nearly 7 weeks old. This was from a fairly well known roaster who is generally at the higher price points too.

Brought it back today and exchanged it for one roasted on June 26th. I think 4 weeks should be around the shelf life of roasted coffee.

Name them tbh!

I just got an order from PS coffee - roasted 21st June which is absolutely grand, but I'm spoiled with the likes of Bell Lane, WCC etc. and the next day delivery after roasting :D:D

I mean, did you not check it before purchase?

I did, I checked this one coffee, saw a roast date in June, checked a few other coffees, went with the original one but obviously picked up a different bag than the one I had originally picked up. Only noticed when I got home.
    Name them tbh!

I just got an order from PS coffee - roasted 21st June which is absolutely grand, but I'm spoiled with the likes of Bell Lane, WCC etc. and the next day delivery after roasting :D:D

Yeah, its just buyer beware I guess. I'm generally fine with anything in the last 3 or so weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I picked up a Stone Valley in Lotts and Co. yesterday that was roasted in May, if I recall correctly. Obviously passed on it in favour of something more recently roasted. To be honest, when a roaster sells coffee on to a shop is it surprising that it stays around on shelves given the price point? It's in the store's interest to a certain point to push it, I presume. The people in this thread are probably more picky than most of the public. I'm not sure my wife would know to check a roast date if she was buying coffee for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Interesting if depressing read in The Guardian today:-

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/jul/06/caffeine-coffee-tea-invisible-addiction-is-it-time-to-give-up
    The invisible addiction: is it time to give up caffeine?
    Caffeine makes us more energetic, efficient and faster. But we have become so dependent that we need it just to get to our baseline

I won't cut and paste the whole thing but it's mainly a discussion about the withdrawals people who drink a lot of coffee experience, usually avoided by the fact that their intake is daily ... Also an emphasis on the half-life of coffee, and its disruptive effect on sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

I probably have 1 or 2 americanos a day, probably more at weekends. I know when I would be on holiday and not have access to the usual cuppa in mornings or throughout day, I’d get serious headaches for a few days.

I see Bear Market are starting their own roaster now - another one to try in due course! Not sure who has been roasting their beans until now - they used to use silverskin I think, but that was a while back, not sure if still the case.

Velo now have 9 lines in Tesco and adding a second in Dunnes - seem to be doing well retail wise!

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=velo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

have coffee prices gone up everywhere?... my local supplier has increased a bd by 4 euro on 1kg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah, there has been a global rise due to the weather in Brazil and other factors afaik. Time to take ut those one year subscriptions before the local prices rise! 😁

I know a few are into green beans here - I see Mercanta now have a Micro offshoot where you can order 20kg of a bean - some good prices here if a few green beans buyers wanted to group together!

https://mercantamicro.com/shop

You'd probably have to break it into four (buyers), as I'm not sure anyone would want more than 5kgs of a single bean, particularly sight unseen and you'd all have to agree on the same bean. I've been keeping three varieties on the go (two naturals and a washed). Good price though. They don't seem to ship to Ireland - but perhaps they might be persuaded for a 20kg lot. Thanks for sharing.

• Advertisement

I see a newish range of single origin beans in Dunnes from two fifty square (branded as simply better though). Tried the Nicaraguan and wasn't really gone on it - €4.90 for 200g but on offer at €4 at the minute - Ethiopian, Brazilian (Natural!) and Colombian too.

https://www.independent.ie/storyplus/theres-a-lot-of-love-in-each-bag-how-one-dublin-coffee-shop-is-taking-the-nation-by-storm-40235269.html

Advertisement